PDA

View Full Version : Perfecting insulin peak times

Primemuscle
11-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Here’s something I’ve been applying and its worked great. The thought process was to utilize two insulin peak times that are timed around workouts so you can maximize the uptake of nutrients to your working muscles. Therefore you’re getting maximal returns on your efforts put forth via training with precisely timed supplementation.

What I’m doing is starting with humulin R. Immediately after its pinned, I start a timer so I know when the onset starts, when the peak begins, when the peak ends and when the duration is coming to an end. The onset for humulin R is 30-60 minutes so what I do is have a meal consisting of protein and a mix of fast and slow acting carbs (I’ll use jasmine rice and sweet potato). Then I’ll wait for the 2 hour mark which is when the insulin starts to peak. Within 5 minutes of the peak beginning I drink a shake consisting of protein & fast acting carbs, then have a fruit of choice. After that I drink my pre workout as I head to the gym. During my workout I sip on a intra workout shake consisting of eaas, bcaas, fast acting carbs & collagen. By the time I finishing my workout I’m at the 3.5 hour to 4 hour mark which is the end of the peak for humulin R. Around that time I’m also getting a post workout meal which again consists of protein & carbs as well as a drink with creatine, glutamine, eaas & a superfood blend.

Then as the 6 hour mark begins which is when the duration of R is coming to an end, I’ll pin humalog, wait for the onset which is 15 minutes then drink a shake of protein & carbs. Then I’ll head to the gym to start my workout at the 30 minute mark of pinning the humalog, which is when it peaks. I’ll have another intra shake of carbs & eaas while I workout and usually I lift through the peak of the humalog which ends roughly around 90 minutes after pinning it. Then I’ll head home and wait 20-30 minutes until I have another post workout meal of protein & carbs as well as some vegetables thrown in.

By that point I’m about 2 hours or so into the humalog which duration can end around the 3 hour mark or so. Hence I’ll be clear of going hypo since I’ve been adequately carbing up while it’s active and peaking.

Just wanted to note the only reason I conjured this up was because finally I got humalog and had humulin R previously. I didn’t want the R to go to waste to I figured I would utilize the peaks of both and put them to use throughout the whole day. I save the log for second specifically because it has a shorter peak & duration which will clear sooner then the R would at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hatebreed
11-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Have you ever tried lantus? From what I hear its a big thing over in the middle east? Big rammy supposedly using some type of protocall incorporating lantus, and I've read that Dennis James has also gotten wolf on something similar?

BigLifter
11-29-2017, 01:46 PM
I’m scared to death to try slin, for the obvious reasons. What type of gains are you seeing with your protocol as far as size and weight/strength gains??

Primemuscle
11-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Have you ever tried lantus? From what I hear its a big thing over in the middle east? Big rammy supposedly using some type of protocall incorporating lantus, and I've read that Dennis James has also gotten wolf on something similar?

No I have not tried lantus nor am I familiar with its protocol. I really like humalog because it’s fast in, fast out. R is the second option because it’s got the second shortest duration. Besides that I’m not too fond of the other types due to how long the durations are and it’s hard to time the peaks properly after the first

Primemuscle
11-29-2017, 03:15 PM
I’m scared to death to try slin, for the obvious reasons. What type of gains are you seeing with your protocol as far as size and weight/strength gains??

Honestly man I love slin. I did a lot of research and made sure to make a fool proof protocol based off of durations and peaks. So as long as your covering your time of use with carbs and protein properly it’s awesome. You get insane pumps and legit lean gains with proper diet implementation.

I use it a little more moderately in the sense of gains because I don’t want the spill over with carbs and get fat. So I use a fewer carbs without going hypo of course and just training hard while it’s peaking. So far I’ve had great returns and lean gains

joko123
11-29-2017, 03:33 PM
I've used lantus just as an additive not just lantus. I've used 35-40iu a day in the morning along side my humalog. 40 iu I noticed I should have lowered my log dosing a few ius with my meals and Intra felt "off". Lantus stimulates the body to produce its own igf which is why I'm using a small dose.

Hatebreed mike arnold just published his lantus protocol about two weeks ago, he recommends once or twice a week at about 200iu if I recall correctly.

Insulin really is dummy proof if you research it and play with it

Primemuscle
11-29-2017, 05:24 PM
I've used lantus just as an additive not just lantus. I've used 35-40iu a day in the morning along side my humalog. 40 iu I noticed I should have lowered my log dosing a few ius with my meals and Intra felt "off". Lantus stimulates the body to produce its own igf which is why I'm using a small dose.

Hatebreed mike arnold just published his lantus protocol about two weeks ago, he recommends once or twice a week at about 200iu if I recall correctly.

Insulin really is dummy proof if you research it and play with it

Agreed 100% on that Joko. If you research and plan properly, it really is dummy proof

BigLifter
11-30-2017, 01:57 AM
I guess the biggest reason it scares the shit out of me is due to the death of my best friend since birth when we were 22 years old. He was diagnosed with diabetes when we were about 8 years old. He’d been sick and his insulin pump malfunctioned and he slipped into a coma and died. The whole flirting with hypo and potential to end up with diabetes worries me a lot. Not looking for pity by any means, just giving you my background. I hear that slin is almost instant gains, that intrigues me a lot, but it hasn’t outweighed the potential “cost” to me yet.

Primemuscle
11-30-2017, 02:30 AM
That’s terrible man I’m sorry to hear that. However it’s a totally different situation. You won’t be dealing with a pump. All you would do is pin yourself, watch the time for onset and peak, make sure you covered with carbs and protein and reap the benefits while avoiding the risk of going hypo. It just takes proper research, setting up the proper protocol, using that protocol and always having a Gatorade or glucose tabs on hand just in case you start to feel like you’re going hypo.

joko123
11-30-2017, 02:32 AM
I guess the biggest reason it scares the shit out of me is due to the death of my best friend since birth when we were 22 years old. He was diagnosed with diabetes when we were about 8 years old. He’d been sick and his insulin pump malfunctioned and he slipped into a coma and died. The whole flirting with hypo and potential to end up with diabetes worries me a lot. Not looking for pity by any means, just giving you my background. I hear that slin is almost instant gains, that intrigues me a lot, but it hasn’t outweighed the potential “cost” to me yet.

Sorry to hear about your friend brother, that a horrible I can't even imagine. If I was not competing I wouldn't recommend insulin to anyone. The risk is definitely there but it can be severely minimized. I just like to put it out there if someone is interested in using it , it is very manageable

cool-helloeveryday
11-30-2017, 08:29 AM
I'm scared about the side effects of the insulin---DEATH, I will never take it.

BigLifter
11-30-2017, 08:51 AM
I have a friend that competed in his younger years, in his 40’s now, and he said he saw more results from insulin than he ever saw from AAS. That’s what intrigues me so much.

Primemuscle
11-30-2017, 10:35 AM
I have a friend that competed in his younger years, in his 40’s now, and he said he saw more results from insulin jam he ever saw from AAS. That’s what intrigues me so much.

Well here’s the thing: it’s the most anabolic hormone that the body produces. So again when you think about how to utilize it, which in my opinion and many others is pre/intra/post workout; you’re going to be shuttling nutrients and maximizing the most anabolic hormone around the time you put your body in its most anabolic state; which is working out.

However by no means am I saying go for it. It’s definitely something one needs to research and consider using for themselves as long as they feel they can safely use it. Safety first should always be the rule of thumb when using anything because life is already short enough. No need to be negligent and kill yourself prematurely. Which is why didn’t post iu’s being used, grams of carbs/protein, or anything like that. I just wanted to post about how to precisely nail insulin timing to maximize its effects and gains. If that sparks someone’s interest and they want to try it, then just like anything else they should research it, understand it, own it then use it.

BigLifter
11-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Well here’s the thing: it’s the most anabolic hormone that the body produces. So again when you think about how to utilize it, which in my opinion and many others is pre/intra/post workout; you’re going to be shuttling nutrients and maximizing the most anabolic hormone around the time you put your body in its most anabolic state; which is working out.

However by no means am I saying go for it. It’s definitely something one needs to research and consider using for themselves as long as they feel they can safely use it. Safety first should always be the rule of thumb when using anything because life is already short enough. No need to be negligent and kill yourself prematurely. Which is why didn’t post iu’s being used, grams of carbs/protein, or anything like that. I just wanted to post about how to precisely nail insulin timing to maximize its effects and gains. If that sparks someone’s interest and they want to try it, then just like anything else they should research it, understand it, own it then use it.

I like how you worded that. A lot of people jump into things unprepared as hell. Like running a cycle with no AIs or SERMS on deck etc. You’re also right about owning it, if you make that decision and consider the ramifications and decide to do something, you have to own it and prepare for all consequences. Slin has piqued my interest based on my current plateau. I’ve never used HGH to this point, but have used peptides, but to be honest from a monetary standpoint, insulin is way cheaper.

Primemuscle
11-30-2017, 02:00 PM
I like how you worded that. A lot of people jump into things unprepared as hell. Like running a cycle with no AIs or SERMS on deck etc. You’re also right about owning it, if you make that decision and consider the ramifications and decide to do something, you have to own it and prepare for all consequences. Slin has piqued my interest based on my current plateau. I’ve never used HGH to this point, but have used peptides, but to be honest from a monetary standpoint, insulin is way cheaper.

I couldn’t agree more man. Honestly it blows my mind how people will recklessly take stuff based off of misconceptions or others advice without an ounce of their own research put into it. It makes no sense to me. I want to know the how, what, where, when and why to everything. Especially if I’m putting it in my body.

I love gh, it’s been great and I’m waiting to get some supertropin which is a sponsor from this forum. It’s very affordable and everyone has raved about it thus far so I’m looking forward to trying it. And personally speaking I love slin for what’s its worth and how I use it. I’ve never been an advocate of more is more. It’s always quality over quantity, so using slin with a proper protocol you can definitely make some clean leans gains that stay with you after use.

If you’ve hit a plateau you may want to assess a few things: how many days per week are you training? Do you need a week off or at least a deload week to give your nervous system a rest and let the body recharge from rigorous training. How long have you been doing your current split, does that need to change finally? How’s your biomechanics when you lift, are you using muscular contractions to move weights? Also don’t get comfortable with the weights being used, make sure to try to get more reps with current weights or use heavier weights to stimulate growth. Are you training as intense as possible or are you subconsciously on cruise control in a comfort zone?

Those are just a few things you can check and asses that might help you break that plateau. One more thing: be sure to periodize your reps ranges and have them on somewhat of a cyclic rotation. That will help big time.

BigLifter
11-30-2017, 02:50 PM
I couldn’t agree more man. Honestly it blows my mind how people will recklessly take stuff based off of misconceptions or others advice without an ounce of their own research put into it. It makes no sense to me. I want to know the how, what, where, when and why to everything. Especially if I’m putting it in my body.

I love gh, it’s been great and I’m waiting to get some supertropin which is a sponsor from this forum. It’s very affordable and everyone has raved about it thus far so I’m looking forward to trying it. And personally speaking I love slin for what’s its worth and how I use it. I’ve never been an advocate of more is more. It’s always quality over quantity, so using slin with a proper protocol you can definitely make some clean leans gains that stay with you after use.

If you’ve hit a plateau you may want to assess a few things: how many days per week are you training? Do you need a week off or at least a deload week to give your nervous system a rest and let the body recharge from rigorous training. How long have you been doing your current split, does that need to change finally? How’s your biomechanics when you lift, are you using muscular contractions to move weights? Also don’t get comfortable with the weights being used, make sure to try to get more reps with current weights or use heavier weights to stimulate growth. Are you training as intense as possible or are you subconsciously on cruise control in a comfort zone?

Those are just a few things you can check and asses that might help you break that plateau. One more thing: be sure to periodize your reps ranges and have them on somewhat of a cyclic rotation. That will help big time.

Great input man. I definitely try and periodize rep ranges. At times I train like a power lifter, lower volume with high intensity, and then I’ll switch back over to higher volume with as much intensity as I can. Like you said, I’m always stretching for one more rep or 5 more pounds on anything I can get it on.

One of my biggest issues that I’m fully aware of is my work schedule. I work a 12 hour shift and rotate days and nights. There are a lot of times that I’m up 24 hours without sleep, and some days the appetite is just absolute shit. I force feed when I can, but some days it’s not worth the digestive distress tbh. All that said, I work out alone 95% of the time as well. Not too many committed guys in my work circles that will get up at 3:15 to workout before day shift. Lol

When I’m lifting like a power lifter, I pretty much do whatever is necessary to move the weight but try my best to not let my form go to pure garbage. When I focus more on high volume I concentrate fully on the mind muscle connection and try to really hone in on what I’m working.

I’m still seeing gains, they’re just a lot slower than they once were. Maybe I’m being a little impatient in that aspect. As of this morning I’m sitting at 6 foot and about 232 pounds with BF% roughly around 12-14%. So I can’t be too discouraged with that.

Primemuscle
11-30-2017, 03:48 PM
Great input man. I definitely try and periodize rep ranges. At times I train like a power lifter, lower volume with high intensity, and then I’ll switch back over to higher volume with as much intensity as I can. Like you said, I’m always stretching for one more rep or 5 more pounds on anything I can get it on.

One of my biggest issues that I’m fully aware of is my work schedule. I work a 12 hour shift and rotate days and nights. There are a lot of times that I’m up 24 hours without sleep, and some days the appetite is just absolute shit. I force feed when I can, but some days it’s not worth the digestive distress tbh. All that said, I work out alone 95% of the time as well. Not too many committed guys in my work circles that will get up at 3:15 to workout before day shift. Lol

When I’m lifting like a power lifter, I pretty much do whatever is necessary to move the weight but try my best to not let my form go to pure garbage. When I focus more on high volume I concentrate fully on the mind muscle connection and try to really hone in on what I’m working.

I’m still seeing gains, they’re just a lot slower than they once were. Maybe I’m being a little impatient in that aspect. As of this morning I’m sitting at 6 foot and about 232 pounds with BF% roughly around 12-14%. So I can’t be too discouraged with that.

Nice stats brotha. And I see a few things. First the sleep pattern being completely off is definitely hindering the gains. Sleep is where you grow and recover. Also a suggestion on days where you’re not feeling like eating, make shakes with oats, bananas, protein, peanut butter, etc. easier to drink down but still getting high calories in if made right.

And I feel your pain on lack of a consistent training partner. Good help is hard to find these days lol.

BigLifter
11-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Nice stats brotha. And I see a few things. First the sleep pattern being completely off is definitely hindering the gains. Sleep is where you grow and recover. Also a suggestion on days where you’re not feeling like eating, make shakes with oats, bananas, protein, peanut butter, etc. easier to drink down but still getting high calories in if made right.

And I feel your pain on lack of a consistent training partner. Good help is hard to find these days lol.

I like the shake idea. I’ll definitely have to start trying to think more about that and keeping the calories higher during those times. Yeah, good help is hard to find for sure! I had one friend that was really good about it but were no longer on the same schedule. I’ve had a few try and keep up, but no one hangs long. My favorite quote from a buddy on shoulder day was “man you’re one sadistic son of a bitch”. I took that as a compliment. Lol.

Primemuscle
11-30-2017, 06:09 PM
I like the shake idea. I’ll definitely have to start trying to think more about that and keeping the calories higher during those times. Yeah, good help is hard to find for sure! I had one friend that was really good about it but were no longer on the same schedule. I’ve had a few try and keep up, but no one hangs long. My favorite quote from a buddy on shoulder day was “man you’re one sadistic son of a bitch”. I took that as a compliment. Lol.

Definitely give the shakes a go. It’ll help big time. And yea I’ve had the same issue. I’ll get a decent training partner for a few months then our schedules change and it’s back to the solo mission. I’d take that as a compliment. I think to properly train you have to be some what twisted. Gotta embrace the pain and go all out on those weights!

BigLifter
11-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Definitely give the shakes a go. It’ll help big time. And yea I’ve had the same issue. I’ll get a decent training partner for a few months then our schedules change and it’s back to the solo mission. I’d take that as a compliment. I think to properly train you have to be some what twisted. Gotta embrace the pain and go all out on those weights!

For sure man. Most people get motivated until they don’t see results, but for us that’s when discipline has to take over. Discipline far outreaches small sparks of motivation in my book. Some days you grind just because it’s what you do, and some days it’s fun as hell. Just part of it.

Primemuscle
11-30-2017, 06:34 PM
For sure man. Most people get motivated until they don’t see results, but for us that’s when discipline has to take over. Discipline far outreaches small sparks of motivation in my book. Some days you grind just because it’s what you do, and some days it’s fun as hell. Just part of it.

Couldn’t have said it better man. Motivation is fleeting. When it’s there use it, but when it’s not there it’s discipline that gets it done. And puts you in the small stack from the big stack