PDA

View Full Version : The Real Muscle-Growth Secret

STEROID
01-01-2012, 03:37 AM
The Real Muscle-Growth Secret

So many people believe that getting stronger with lower-rep, pure anaerobic work is the key to getting bigger. It does get you somewhat bigger but primarily in the myofibrils, which are the actin-and-myosin pairings inside the muscle fibers that produce force. That, however, is only half of the fibers’ growth potential.

The other big hypertrophy producer—and the one many scientists believe is the dominant one, as you’ll see in a moment—is the sarcoplasm, the energy fluid in the muscle fiber that contains glycogen, mitochondria and ATP. That’s why the biggest bodybuilders are 2A fiber–dominant—that is, they have fibers with both power and endurance components.

Longer tension times cause sarcoplasmic expansion; heavy weights and low reps cause more myofibrillar growth. You need both for ultimate muscle size, but your goals will determine which one you focus on. Here’s what researchers Vladimir Zatsiorsky, Ph.D., and William Kraemer, Ph.D., wrote in Science and Practice of Strength Training:

“Mostly myofibrillar [actin-and-myosin pairings] hypertrophy is found in elite weightlifters, whereas sarcoplasmic [endurance fluid] hypertrophy is typically seen in bodybuilders.”

That’s why many scientists are now saying that sarcoplasmic expansion is the biggest key to muscle size—and why short rests between sets, as with the 4X method, and/or longer tension times are so important for building extreme muscle size.

It makes sense considering the research demonstrating that the biggest bodybuilders have mostly dual-component 2A fast-twitch fibers and that their size is sarcoplasmic dominant—as many top bodybuilders have discovered.

For example, IFBB pro Johnnie Jackson, who also competes in powerlifting, has said that when he trains ultraheavy with low reps exclusively, he gets smaller, not bigger. That’s due to lack of tension time. He must switch to using more reps and/or short rests between sets to hit the stage at his biggest and freakiest.

The best size gains happen the fastest with optimal stimulation of both the myofibrils and the sarcoplasm. There are a number of ways to make that happen:

• Use full-range Positions of Flexion—midrange, stretch and contracted exercises for each bodypart, with power on the big, midrange move and higher reps and/or drop sets on the last exercise, a continuous-tension contracted-position move like leg extensions, concentration curls, lateral raises and pushdowns.

• Add X-centric sets. Use a one-second positive and a six-second negative on every rep, and go to failure, which should come at about around rep seven. That provides almost 50 seconds of tension time for sarcoplasmic expansion, plus the negative emphasis stresses the myofibrils. We suggest adding only one or two negative-accentuated sets per body-part because they’re taxing and will make you sore.

• Use pure 4X training, a balance of myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic stress. You take a weight with which you can get 15 reps, but you do only 10; rest 30 seconds, and then do 10 more—and so on for four sets. You go all out on the fourth set, and if you get 10 reps, you add weight to that exercise at your next workout.

You can use more combo-to-grow methods and tactics, such as drop sets, supersets and DC training. The bottom line is that for the fastest gains possible in ultimate muscle size, you need both fast-twitch power and endurance work to build both “sides” of the key 2A fibers for a double dose of growth. Otherwise you’ll grow slowly rather than faster than ever.

—Steve Holman and Jonathan Lawson

NbleSavage
01-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Cheers, F.I.S.T.

Any experience with the 4x approach? I've been running a Gironda style 8x8 (sounds similar in nature) and as an older dude (40-ish) I'm finding it to be wonderful for my joints and for keeping my back out of the wringer.

Peace.

- Savage

STEROID
01-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Cheers, F.I.S.T.

Any experience with the 4x approach? I've been running a Gironda style 8x8 (sounds similar in nature) and as an older dude (40-ish) I'm finding it to be wonderful for my joints and for keeping my back out of the wringer.

Peace.

- Savage

Hey Noble.Absolutely I have experience with the 4x approach.As many already know,im a firm believer in "CHANGE" and am always trying new routines and training styles.I never stick to one way of training as I feel its a sure fire way to plateauing and consequentially failure.You body and muscles will eventually get used to a certain type of training even if you're changing the weight or reps and stop growing from it.Only by incorporating as many styles as you can will you continually "shock" your muscles into new growth.At almost 50 now,I will never say this way works for me or that way works for me,to me they all work if im always changing.

NbleSavage
01-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Great response - thanks mate!

shoestring
01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
F.I.S.T. how often do u change your workout, for the shock effects? Do u look for no strength gains to
Signal your need or just keep it fresh every month or so?

martin
01-16-2012, 03:40 PM
I will have to give this method a try after i finish the 5/3/1 program

STEROID
01-16-2012, 11:00 PM
F.I.S.T. how often do u change your workout, for the shock effects? Do u look for no strength gains to
Signal your need or just keep it fresh every month or so?

Im sorry brother,I didnt catch this till now.I try to go no longer than about 6-8 wks for any routine but may switch it up after only 4 if im getting no results from it.I sometimes will even incorporate different types of routines in the same week.When I was younger I stayed with programs until I felt they were no longer making forward progress for me by plateauing in weight,reps ,etc but now ive learned that by constantly changing it up,I prevent that plateau.I eliminate it by never reaching that point.Even routines that ive plateaued in in the past with a certain weight or rep on a particular exercise,by doing them differently or even laying off them for a while and then going back to them I can easily break thru that plateau.

At this stage in my life its not so much about building new muscle or gaining more size or strength as it is just maintaining what ive gained already over the yrs.There will come a point in all of our lives where we just cannot genetically put on any more muscle and as we age,were in a battle to just not shrink.LOL.Let me just put it this way....I AINT FUCKIN SHRINKIN IF IT KILLS ME.LMAO.

tilltheend
01-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Good article, I don't like lifting heavy too much.

NbleSavage
01-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Im sorry brother,I didnt catch this till now.I try to go no longer than about 6-8 wks for any routine but may switch it up after only 4 if im getting no results from it.I sometimes will even incorporate different types of routines in the same week.When I was younger I stayed with programs until I felt they were no longer making forward progress for me by plateauing in weight,reps ,etc but now ive learned that by constantly changing it up,I prevent that plateau.I eliminate it by never reaching that point.Even routines that ive plateaued in in the past with a certain weight or rep on a particular exercise,by doing them differently or even laying off them for a while and then going back to them I can easily break thru that plateau.

At this stage in my life its not so much about building new muscle or gaining more size or strength as it is just maintaining what ive gained already over the yrs.There will come a point in all of our lives where we just cannot genetically put on any more muscle and as we age,were in a battle to just not shrink.LOL.Let me just put it this way....I AINT FUCKIN SHRINKIN IF IT KILLS ME.LMAO.

This should be the attitude we all possess. Great response.

STEROID
01-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Good article, I don't like lifting heavy too much.

Thanks man.I still like to lift heavy but I never max out anymore.

STEROID
01-17-2012, 12:28 AM
This should be the attitude we all possess. Great response.

Thank you very much sir.

HUGE FREAK
02-21-2017, 04:10 AM
I have used the high rep for size with occlusion and lock in the pumped size with heavy low reps 220lbs 22" biceps age 67 5'2" HEIGHT.
GENETICS OF LIGAMENT TIE INS ARE THE LIMITING FACTOR SO LEARNING TO CROSS JOINT LIGAMENT ACTIVATION IS KEY TO MUSCLE STRENGTH AND SIZE.

iN ACCIDENT JAW RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY THERE IS NO MUSCLE ACTIVATION if THE LIGAMENTS DO NOT CROSS at the tie in joints

Gaynz37
02-21-2017, 04:22 AM
Me and my Sons never Max. When we lift we go 3-4 Sets for 1 Total Set, and usually go 3 Rounds on each lift. Basically 5-10 seconds rest between each set, then maybe 1 minute break before going to next lift. Add 5-10lbs after each 3-4 round set. Shit works great for Pump and Fatigue. I'm no Pro, but this Shit works. We go up an average of 2.5-10lbs a week on different lifts depending on how we feel. Some days are heavy and lower rep, nothing less than 8 reps, some days are light and high rep.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk