PDA

View Full Version : POST WORKOUT BASICS--OPTIMIZING GLYCOGEN

STEROID
01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
POST WORKOUT BASICS--OPTIMIZING GLYCOGEN
By: Christopher Mohr

When you workout, you deplete muscle glycogen. This primary fuel source needs to be increased after a workout to feed your muscles. Read on to find out more about post workout nutrition.

As more and more research emerges, it's good to continue to review this and really hammer home the point of how important this particular meal is for enhancing recovery, promoting growth, and making you stronger.

Some work has been done in the area of pre-workout nutrition as well. Is there an optimal meal/supplement that can be taken to enhance performance during a workout?

Maybe combining the two, pre and post-workout, would be the ultimate anabolic booster to optimize progress in the gym. More about that next week; for now, let's concentrate on where most of the research is being conducted.

REVIEW

Before delving into the research, however, let's review the importance of post-workout nutrition and why it should absolutely be a part of every single person's training diet, whether you are trying to lose, gain, or even just maintain your lean body mass. In my next article, I'll talk about a recent study that focused on post workout nutrition to optimize your performance.

When you workout, you deplete muscle glycogen (the storage form of carbohydrates). Glycogen is the primary fuel your muscles use for energy production; therefore, optimizing glycogen stores is important and it's one of the reasons energy levels decrease when reducing carbs.

Subsequently, after a workout, your muscles are like sponges, ready to absorb everything and anything you feed them, which is why you need to focus on the quality of this meal.

Moreover, not only is it important to feed your muscle the carbohydrates they need to promote glycogen synthesis, but it's also crucial to feed some protein to stimulate protein synthesis and inhibit what's known as proteolysis (protein breakdown).

Finally, this feeding is important because if done correctly, it can positively affect the hormonal milieu by naturally increasing growth hormone and insulin, which are both potent hormones necessary for muscle growth.

Each of the aforementioned components of growth and recovery are enhanced during the first 2 hours after exercise, which reinforces the importance of this meal.

Getting It Done

So there's the scientific mumbo jumbo - the "why" you should do this part of it; now here's the "what" should you use to "get 'er done.

First, you want a carbohydrate that has a high glycemic index (e.g., maltodextrin: GI ~156, and glucose: GI 138) to cause a drastic increase in insulin levels.

Remember, insulin is the carrier of the nutrients so you want to ensure a boost in insulin levels. Further, hyperinsulinemia (high insulin levels) suppresses amino acid decreases and prevents a negative nitrogen balance, which is normal after training.

You want nitrogen to at least be maintained, or more ideally positive-working out will cause a shift in this system, though, and because you're actually breaking down muscle tissue during this period, you'll be in a negative nitrogen balance if not properly fed (i.e., post workout).

Since carbs do nothing to enhance nitrogen balance, which is dependent on protein intake, you need to also ensure protein is a component of your post workout drink or meal (PWO).

When hyperinsulinemia is coupled with high quality, quick acting protein, such as whey protein isolate and free-form amino acids, there is a synergistic relationship that occurs among them.

Specific amino acids independent of whole proteins, are potent stimulators of protein synthesis and recovery and could help enhance immune status during and after intense training and promote a positive nitrogen balance, as alluded to earlier.

When I say free-form amino acids, I'm not suggesting taking a handful of pills with your post-workout meal. There are actually specific aminos that have been shown to independently stimulate skeletal muscle protein synthesis. Leucine has been shown in several studies to independently stimulate skeletal muscle protein synthesis.

In fact, in one particular study, recovery of muscle protein synthesis was stimulated by leucine supplementation and was not dependent on plasma insulin levels. This suggests that leucine, in combination with carbohydrate, can enhance recovery.

Skeletal muscle is the principle site for degradation of the three branched-chain amino acids (BCAA's); however, leucine is disproportionately incorporated into skeletal muscle proteins accounting for approximately 9% of muscle amino acids and therefore supplemental leucine can be beneficial during recovery.

One study reported that the anabolic effect of a complete mixture of amino acids can be reproduced with the branched chain amino acid leucine alone.

Next, although whey protein isolate is naturally high in the amino acid glutamine, additional doses of this amino acid are recommended because exercise (or any stress) lowers plasma glutamine levels.

Several studies have demonstrated that maintaining baseline levels actually enhances the immune system by reducing the risk of illness and infection. Therefore, glutamine may be effective as part of a recovery beverage.

STEROID
01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
How Much?

So, I guess the next question is how much of each of these ingredients?

Well, first and foremost, you don't have to use a recovery beverage. I personally prefer them; they are not only absorbed more rapidly, but they also contribute to your fluid intake, which an overall important part of recovery.

There are a number of research studies in this area; some of shown a positive effect from carbohydrate-protein in a 2:1 ratio, some have shown a 3:1 ratio, and others a 4:1 ratio, meaning for every 2, 3, or 4 grams of carbohydrate, you consume 1 gram of protein.

To put it another way, if you were consuming 60 grams of carbohydrate, you would consume 30 grams protein (2:1), 20 grams protein (3:1), or 15 grams protein (4:1). Still with me?

There is also enough supportive research to show approximately 3 grams of leucine (in addition to that which you'll get from the whey) and 5 grams of glutamine are effective. If you prefer 'real' food, determine what foods meet these requirements and enjoy.

Keep in mind that you do not want fat or fiber in this meal, as both slow down the absorption. Moreover, aside from pre- and post-workout (and maybe during), it's the one meal of the day you should consume simple, high glycemic carbs... so enjoy and you'll be on your way to recovery and growth.

xexplosivex
01-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Good post, I always take about 80g Dextrose and 40g Whey after I workout. I use a 4:1:1 BCAA while I workout, around 15g.

baby1
01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Great info!

STEROID
01-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the replies guys and girls.

sensitivenips
01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Wow G, this is one of the best forum articles I have read regarding a breakdown of what happens post workout. Definitely will be stopping back here for a refresher from time to time.

bader
01-13-2012, 05:53 PM
What would you think of this?

Due to being very low on funds at the moment. I take 5g of leucine with an emergen-C pack in water and eat a mandarin/orange immediately post workout.. then about 30-45 mins later when I get home I'll eat a high protein meal. Any thoughts if this is effective? I feel my recovery has been pretty quick with this method.

shoestring
01-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Another good read F.I.S.T.!!!

STEROID
01-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Wow G, this is one of the best forum articles I have read regarding a breakdown of what happens post workout. Definitely will be stopping back here for a refresher from time to time.

Thanks.Hopefully you'll be stopping by very often.Great tight family here and always new members to it.

STEROID
01-15-2012, 01:00 AM
What would you think of this?

Due to being very low on funds at the moment. I take 5g of leucine with an emergen-C pack in water and eat a mandarin/orange immediately post workout.. then about 30-45 mins later when I get home I'll eat a high protein meal. Any thoughts if this is effective? I feel my recovery has been pretty quick with this method.

Sounds like a winning plan to me bader.Stick with whats working for you and if this is,so be it.There's no "right" way for everyone.It's always a personal thing.

STEROID
01-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Another good read F.I.S.T.!!!

Thanks bro.Glad to be able to post up useful info for everyone to read.

csmilz9
01-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Just found the wonders of dextrose post workout! Thanks FIST

rmkicks
01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Great info. Thanks

milleniumgirl
01-15-2012, 06:02 PM
When I was still lifting (doing only body weight exercises now ....) I used to drink a Whey Protein shake right after my workout to refuel ... I don't think that I needed anything else.

STEROID
01-15-2012, 10:56 PM
When I was still lifting (doing only body weight exercises now ....) I used to drink a Whey Protein shake right after my workout to refuel ... I don't think that I needed anything else.

Well sweety,if that works for you stick to it but saying you don't "think" you need anything else should be enough to make you want to "know" you don't need anything else.Why not try and find out? There's no right way MG.Also,what was right for you a few yrs ago may not be right today.As you age and advance in experience,your requirements will constantly change.

STEROID
01-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Just found the wonders of dextrose post workout! Thanks FIST

You're welcome sir.

ShortnWide
01-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Good read for the board.

martin
01-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Good info F.I.S.T. Thank you