PDA

View Full Version : How long do YOU rest between sets?

Evil Eagle
01-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I am at the point in my training where I am trying to tune it to really dial up my results. Right now I am stuck on how long to rest between sets. It seems like to me, I don't feel right resting less than 90ish seconds because my heart rate is still so high from the previous set. So I'm just wondering if you all think I should rest longer, shorter, or stay the same. What works for YOU?

Mountain Monster
01-04-2012, 05:54 PM
What ate your goals with the routine your on? Strength,conditioning,or size? Those thinks matter a great deal in regards to rest time.

Evil Eagle
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
What ate your goals with the routine your on? Strength,conditioning,or size? Those thinks matter a great deal in regards to rest time.

Sorry bro, I should have included that. For about the next 45 days I will be basically trying to put on some size without a all out bulk. I guess you could call it a recomp but my goal is to just add lean mass without body fat. I'm starting my cut at the end of next month.

Mountain Monster
01-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I know everyone is a little different,but 90 sec is my target for rest when I'm training for size too bro.whether I'm ready or not. Its more of a conditioning factor with the not feeling ready.we just gotta suck it up and push it brother!

Evil Eagle
01-04-2012, 06:34 PM
I know everyone is a little different,but 90 sec is my target for rest when I'm training for size too bro.whether I'm ready or not. Its more of a conditioning factor with the not feeling ready.we just gotta suck it up and push it brother!

I hear ya bro. My conditioning isn't the greatest lol

Mountain Monster
01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Lol i know what ya mean,when I change my routine from strength training with alot of rest between sets to a mass cycle and routine the first few weeks are more work on my lungs and heartrate than anything! My two month size routine is brutal too!

Reaper
01-04-2012, 07:55 PM
60 to 90 sec. per set. Just depends on how far I'm into my sets and what exercises I have already done.
If for say I'm doing chest exercises than I generally start out with incline bench. 60 sec rest between sets. Than I will move on to dumbbell flat bench press. 5 sets and I will take 90 sec rest per set. It allows time for the muscle to rest and the blood flow to go to the target muscle group. You get alot better pumps and a better workout by resting 60 to 90 sec per set.

STEROID
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
For me it always depends on which workout routine im using.Since I am always trying different routines my rest times are always changing to suit that particular workout.

Evil Eagle
01-04-2012, 08:51 PM
For me it always depends on which workout routine im using.Since I am always trying different routines my rest times are always changing to suit that particular workout.

Fist, hook me up with some of your articles on this subject!

bdeljoose
01-04-2012, 11:08 PM
I rest for 60 seconds in most cases.I need a little more time when I am doing legs.

SPEEDY
01-05-2012, 02:11 AM
When I lift heavy chest sometimes I take 3 or 3 and a half minutes. If I tried to Rep 405 60 seconds after I just repped UT I'd get crushed LOL. For arms 90 seconds is fin, but I normally superset or do dropsets. Also depends on the excercise I'm doing. I don't take nearly as long on dumbbell press as I do the flat bench press.....

JTizzle
01-05-2012, 02:20 AM
The guys above got ya covered but i'll post my personal idea on it..

For me it depends on my goal for that workout ,
For HEAVY days/workouts/sets I rest just long enough where I breathe normal but not too long to lose any pump..
For LIGHT days Supersets/cardio/low weight high rep sets I rest only long enough to catch my breath and make sure I will be able to finish my next set...
I don't use set times I just listen to my body depending on goals for that workout...

jandj0821
01-05-2012, 02:38 AM
Right now on squats 3-4 min with wrapping and everything. 2-3 on bench days. Most of my routines work on 60+% of my 1rm but thats just me

STEROID
01-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Fist, hook me up with some of your articles on this subject!

Brother,I have a plethora of training articles posted up on the subject.Check them out and try as many as you can.Thats the best way to make continuous progress.

BIGBOSS
01-08-2012, 05:55 AM
i normally do 45 to 60 secs. On heavy weight bench press, declines, and inclines sometimes longer.

SFGiants
01-08-2012, 06:00 AM
As a Powerlifter I need god rest on main movements when I'm at 90% to 105% on assistant work I try to get it done quickly.

Tailed end of main movement up to 5 minutes assistant work 30 seconds to a minutes or 2 depending what I'm going and how hard I'm pushing.

drrockzo
01-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Depends on: 1. the exercise 2. the type of reps im doing (low, rest-pause, drop set, interval, HIT). 3. How well my current state of cardio is. But for a normal set I would say 60-90 secs.