PDA

View Full Version : New here. Hoping for some advice from you guys.

MADDXXHATTER
02-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, been on BoP for alittle now. Anyways I've been leaning towards trying powerlifting. Ive been lifting weights for 10 years and have just done bodybuilding, but ever time I pull a big number it gets me off.. so I'm looking into this.

Anyways I was hoping to hear from you guys about basics like diet, training, gear and all that good stuff. I joined a new gym and they gave me a coach but I'd like to hear from my brothers here as well.

I can post my totals if needed.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Blades22
02-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Powerlifting bottom line is you gotta eat like a starving dog

MADDXXHATTER
02-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Powerlifting bottom line is you gotta eat like a starving dogAll day everyday? Usually watch macros so thats out now?

And I'm pretty lean so I'm really gonna have to up the food

Primemuscle
02-04-2018, 01:32 AM
All day everyday? Usually watch macros so thats out now?

And I'm pretty lean so I'm really gonna have to up the food

The biggest difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding in my opinion is powerlifting is all about performance, being able to perfect the big 3 lifts and dialing that in. Diet isn’t necessarily clean because it’s more about how much food can you eat to fuel the body for heavy lifting sessions. However I do think eating cleaner will help performance and how you feel when powerlifting. Whereas bodybuilding is more about sculpting the muscles and trying to make the body symmetrical and proportionate.

So basically powerlifting is about getting from point a to point b as effectively as possible. Whereas bodybuilding is more about how you use your muscles to work the weight via contractions. Both have to have proper form but bodybuilding involves way more sculpting and isolation then powerlifting. And for the diet aspect: powerlifting doesn’t have to eat clean, a lot of guys eat dirty because it’s about loading up the body with fuel to lift as heavy as possible to enhance performance. And you want to have some body fat so you have some cushion to absorb and endure the heavy weight loads being lifted. Whereas bodybuilding the diet has to be pristine in order to show a shredded and conditioning physique which takes months to achieve. So you want your body fat to be as low as possible (hell I’d get to 1% if I could). And the food intake is not based off of performance in the weight room but rather how your body is dialing in to be show ready.

Again that’s just my perspective on the differences between the two. But based off of what my powerlifting friends and I have discussed those seem to be the main differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDXXHATTER
02-04-2018, 03:14 PM
The biggest difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding in my opinion is powerlifting is all about performance, being able to perfect the big 3 lifts and dialing that in. Diet isn’t necessarily clean because it’s more about how much food can you eat to fuel the body for heavy lifting sessions. However I do think eating cleaner will help performance and how you feel when powerlifting. Whereas bodybuilding is more about sculpting the muscles and trying to make the body symmetrical and proportionate.

So basically powerlifting is about getting from point a to point b as effectively as possible. Whereas bodybuilding is more about how you use your muscles to work the weight via contractions. Both have to have proper form but bodybuilding involves way more sculpting and isolation then powerlifting. And for the diet aspect: powerlifting doesn’t have to eat clean, a lot of guys eat dirty because it’s about loading up the body with fuel to lift as heavy as possible to enhance performance. And you want to have some body fat so you have some cushion to absorb and endure the heavy weight loads being lifted. Whereas bodybuilding the diet has to be pristine in order to show a shredded and conditioning physique which takes months to achieve. So you want your body fat to be as low as possible (hell I’d get to 1% if I could). And the food intake is not based off of performance in the weight room but rather how your body is dialing in to be show ready.

Again that’s just my perspective on the differences between the two. But based off of what my powerlifting friends and I have discussed those seem to be the main differences.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThanks Prime! You always come through for me man. This was just out of curiosity. So is there a way I can do powerlifting and bodybuilding? Like powerbuiding?

Primemuscle
02-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Thanks Prime! You always come through for me man. This was just out of curiosity. So is there a way I can do powerlifting and bodybuilding? Like powerbuiding?

Yes there is. And actually some of my friends who do powerlifting now focus more on a cleaner diet, training beyond the big 3 lifts with iso movements and have found it to be more beneficial. Reason being is you’re strengthening smaller muscles groups or even bigger ones with isolation moves and by doing so it will help them fire better when being used in a compound lift. Hell a lot of the greatest bodybuilders were powerlifters.

I consider myself to powerbodybuild because I do believe lifting heavier increases mass and strength. More so strength gains preceded mass gains then the muscle packs on. So by lifting heavier loads then going moderate to heavy weights for reps via supersets, tri sets, drop sets, etc; you get the best of both worlds. Kevin Levrone, Franco Columbo, Arnold, Ronnie Coleman and plenty more all had powerlifting backgrounds and utilized that concept to help gain mass

MADDXXHATTER
02-04-2018, 06:05 PM
Yes there is. And actually some of my friends who do powerlifting now focus more on a cleaner diet, training beyond the big 3 lifts with iso movements and have found it to be more beneficial. Reason being is you’re strengthening smaller muscles groups or even bigger ones with isolation moves and by doing so it will help them fire better when being used in a compound lift. Hell a lot of the greatest bodybuilders were powerlifters.

I consider myself to powerbodybuild because I do believe lifting heavier increases mass and strength. More so strength gains preceded mass gains then the muscle packs on. So by lifting heavier loads then going moderate to heavy weights for reps via supersets, tri sets, drop sets, etc; you get the best of both worlds. Kevin Levrone, Franco Columbo, Arnold, Ronnie Coleman and plenty more all had powerlifting backgrounds and utilized that concept to help gain mass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk That's exactly what I wanna do! So I dont have to quit bodybuilding? I wanna do both and stay in good shape. Do you think you could help me with basic programming bro?

kaneman
02-04-2018, 06:08 PM
I compete in uspa powerlifting. I was the same as you, had been lifting for a long time and liked hitting big numbers more then constantly sculpting this or that. I absolutely love it!! Contrary to why some will tell you diet does not go out the window when you powerlift. Also contrary to what some will say I’ve still bean able to gain size and stay in great shape while doing so. Like prime said the biggest difference is training performance for the big three lifts rather then concentrating on building muscle.

MADDXXHATTER
02-04-2018, 06:11 PM
I compete in uspa powerlifting. I was the same as you, had been lifting for a long time and liked hitting big numbers more then constantly sculpting this or that. I absolutely love it!! Contrary to why some will tell you diet does not go out the window when you powerlift. Also contrary to what some will say I’ve still bean able to gain size and stay in great shape while doing so. Like prime said the biggest difference is training performance for the big three lifts rather then concentrating on building muscle.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHey brother thanks for hoping in here. I was hoping you would I've seen your posts about powerlifting. Yeah I'm just burned out on sculpting and would rather just pack on mass but still look good. Im naturally lean and I think this is a good way to get some beef.

Primemuscle
02-04-2018, 06:22 PM
That's exactly what I wanna do! So I dont have to quit bodybuilding? I wanna do both and stay in good shape. Do you think you could help me with basic programming bro?

Yea man I can try to help you set up a basic program for that. You may want to also ask Kaneman because to be honest he’s more knowledgeable with that then me based off of his current goals.

But nonetheless I’ll still be willing to help you out if you’d like

kaneman
02-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Hey brother thanks for hoping in here. I was hoping you would I've seen your posts about powerlifting. Yeah I'm just burned out on sculpting and would rather just pack on mass but still look good. Im naturally lean and I think this is a good way to get some beef.

It’s definitely good for putting on size. I’ve put on about 25lbs over the past year and a half and bf has only gone up 2% last checked. Like everything though diet and training are the key to any goal. If you ever need any training ideas or diet info feel free to pm me

babybull34
02-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Hey Madhatter,

I don't know if you have Netflix or not but there are some good Powerlifting/strongman documentaries on there that are inspirational and get behind the scenes, i.e. informational.

If you have Netflix (maybe on Amazon) look for these two:

Born Strong

Eddie Strongman A Documentary

On the bodybuilding side, they also have Generation Iron 1 & 2 right now. Those are okay.

Great thread guys, Prime and Kane, thanks for jumping in here.

MADDXXHATTER
02-04-2018, 08:28 PM
It’s definitely good for putting on size. I’ve put on about 25lbs over the past year and a half and bf has only gone up 2% last checked. Like everything though diet and training are the key to any goal. If you ever need any training ideas or diet info feel free to pm me

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat's what's up bro and thank you for that. I definetly will PM you later today or tomorrow. You have the look I want seeing your avatar pic. We might be built different but that's what I'm going for. Plus we're the same height haha

MADDXXHATTER
02-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Hey Madhatter,

I don't know if you have Netflix or not but there are some good Powerlifting/strongman documentaries on there that are inspirational and get behind the scenes, i.e. informational.

Born Strong

On the bodybuilding side, they also have Generation Iron 1 & 2 right now. Those are okay.

Great thread guys, Prime and Kane, thanks for jumping in here.Hey BB what's up brother? And to be completely honest, I've watched born strong 3 times the past 2 days, watched Eddie Hall's movie probably a dozen times since last year, seen Gen Iron too many times and Gen Iron 2 once.

I'm bout it bout it on the strong man stuff

Primemuscle
02-04-2018, 08:34 PM
Hey Madhatter,

Born Strong

Great thread guys, Prime and Kane, thanks for jumping in here.

What’s up BB? I’ve seen the bodybuilding documentaries on Netflix and another good one is: my magnificent obsession by CT fletcher.

Been meaning to watch those powerlifting ones tho so I’ll definitely check them out since you’re giving them the OK.

And as always man I’m just glad I can be of some help and share insight. That’s what makes this place great. We all look out for and help on another. Can’t ask for a better brotherhood.

kaneman
02-04-2018, 08:36 PM
That's what's up bro and thank you for that. I definetly will PM you later today or tomorrow. You have the look I want seeing your avatar pic. We might be built different but that's what I'm going for. Plus we're the same height haha

Anytime brother. I’m thinking of starting a log for my next meet in 12 weeks so I’ll be posting lots of info there as well if I do

Primemuscle
02-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Anytime brother. I’m thinking of starting a log for my next meet in 12 weeks so I’ll be posting lots of info there as well if I do

That’ll be dope man. I’ll log into that. Always like to see what national level competitors do in their respective craft. I’m sure I’ll pick a thing or two up

MADDXXHATTER
02-04-2018, 08:40 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'll for sure follow along if you do that. I have a log but I've kinda slacked on it. Plus my goal has switched and I'm figuring out how to make all that work

MADDXXHATTER
02-04-2018, 08:41 PM
What’s up BB? I’ve seen the bodybuilding documentaries on Netflix and another good one is: my magnificent obsession by CT fletcher.

Been meaning to watch those powerlifting ones tho so I’ll definitely check them out since you’re giving them the OK.

And as always man I’m just glad I can be of some help and share insight. That’s what makes this place great. We all look out for and help on another. Can’t ask for a better brotherhood.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCT!! That movie fires me up everytime!

Primemuscle
02-04-2018, 08:50 PM
CT!! That movie fires me up everytime!

Hell yea man me too. He’s has awesome energy

babybull34
02-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Hey BB what's up brother? And to be completely honest, I've watched born strong 3 times the past 2 days, watched Eddie Hall's movie probably a dozen times since last year, seen Gen Iron too many times and Gen Iron 2 once.

I'm bout it bout it on the strong man stuff

Well, you beat me to it brother! lol. I enjoy them too.

CT is the man. I have huge respect for the guy. Crazy powerful. I loved his documentary and seeing what he went through eith the heart surgery and still going. The guy is driven. I love watching him yell at himself, the world, and God as he lifts. Truly inspirational!

MADDXXHATTER
02-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Well, you beat me to it brother! lol. I enjoy them too.

CT is the man. I have huge respect for the guy. Crazy powerful. I loved his documentary and seeing what he went through eith the heart surgery and still going. The guy is driven. I love watching him yell at himself, the world, and God as he lifts. Truly inspirational!Man he fires me up! Hope he makes it through needing a new heart. I have to meet him and train arms someday

babybull34
02-04-2018, 09:48 PM
Man he fires me up! Hope he makes it through needing a new heart. I have to meet him and train arms someday

The man has some cannons on him no doubt!

Primemuscle
02-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Man he fires me up! Hope he makes it through needing a new heart. I have to meet him and train arms someday

The man has some cannons on him no doubt!

for sure, he’s the Superman of Compton. I’m sure y’all know his claim to fame: natural 22” arms. Regardless I love his mentality and attitude. He’s the epitome of fortitude and resilience. Nothing but respect for that dude

Fancycat69
02-04-2018, 10:18 PM
Yes you can definitely do powerlifting and BBing! Most people said things that I agree with but I want to reiterate the fact that powerlifting does not equal eating whatever you want! Eating shitting actually fills you up more and prevents you from hitting your daily calories in general.

Also Stan efferding and Ronnie Coleman are great examples of pro bodybuilders who were great powerlifters. Look into Stan efferding more if u want to get the powerlifting perspective.

I used to powerlift in college and I was actually pretty successful. I’m actually debating doing a strong man competition in the future. This is what I’ll say (reflecting off previous responses) powerlifting is about moving weight from point a to b. This does not always isolate the muscle to the extent that you would want in BBing. Also the pace of workouts and amount of reps you are doing add also going to change depending on your goal.

However in the end I’d say that powerlifters and bodybuilders would both agree that utilizing both of these training methods on and off helps them improve in their respective sport.
Good luck man

Fancycat69
02-04-2018, 10:20 PM
As for CT fletcher I disagree. I kind of think he’s a loud mouth who likes to yell curses to get views. Also likes to demonize steroids acting like “he tried them once”. Also claims steroids made him a dark person and that’s what caused him to beat his wife. Listen to him on the joe Rogan podcast if u want a good laugh

Primemuscle
02-04-2018, 10:31 PM
As for CT fletcher I disagree. I kind of think he’s a loud mouth who likes to yell curses to get views. Also likes to demonize steroids acting like “he tried them once”. Also claims steroids made him a dark person and that’s what caused him to beat his wife. Listen to him on the joe Rogan podcast if u want a good laugh

Dam I never heard of that. I’ll have to look into that because if that’s the case my opinion of him will not be the same

Fancycat69
02-04-2018, 10:49 PM
CT Fletcher USES STEROIDS! - YouTube (https://youtu.be/ASsnYWIl-6g)

Hate this YouTube channel but it shows the clip from generation iron

And not to hijack this thread but on the joe rogan podcast he’s acting like an idiot pretending he doesn’t know anything about juice, how to pct, etc and in the meantime his gym got busted in one of the biggest AAS busts in all time. So he’s just fake to me. Hope he gets healthy and recovers though I don’t wish death upon anyone

kaneman
02-04-2018, 10:59 PM
Imo it’s always the loudest one in the room who’s the fakest

Primemuscle
02-04-2018, 11:17 PM
CT Fletcher USES STEROIDS! - YouTube (https://youtu.be/ASsnYWIl-6g)

Hate this YouTube channel but it shows the clip from generation iron

And not to hijack this thread but on the joe rogan podcast he’s acting like an idiot pretending he doesn’t know anything about juice, how to pct, etc and in the meantime his gym got busted in one of the biggest AAS busts in all time. So he’s just fake to me. Hope he gets healthy and recovers though I don’t wish death upon anyone

Dam that changes my perspective of him. Because way before gear that dudes been out of his mind. You don’t just take gear and act ‘looney’ as he dubbed it. That man claims he runs nothing now yet look at how he talks when he trains. I don’t even get that gassed up when I’m trenned out of my mind.

And solid point about his gym. I remember reading the article when that happened.

Now hes comparable to how Mike O’Hern is. Claiming all natty when the dude can hang with Stan Efferding in lifting. Yea right.

Thanks for showing me that Fancy. I’m crazed at amazement at these characters in the fitness industry

babybull34
02-04-2018, 11:26 PM

I definitely hear what you're saying on this one, FC, and you're right to a degree. However, I believe there are a few points to consider here. The profanity to get views, well yes, he's trying to build a persona. But, also you must keep in mind that the guy lives in Compton. Sociologically speaking the verbage tossed around that area is ripe with profanity and that's just when you're speaking to your grandma and preacher. It is common place.

The demonizing steroids and saying he used them "once", well, we all know that's BS. Of course he is lying about that, but so is every po lifter, bodybuilder, football player, basketball player, baseball player, runner, etc. It's par for the course. Everyone's doing it but no one can talk about it for fears of legal retribution, sponsors leaving, public image getting smeared, etc.

Blaiming juice made him beat his wife, well, BULL SHIN-TO! That's on him 100%. It happened a long time ago and he and his Ex are still "together", see each other daily, she supports him, but they aren't together. It's a weird dynamic. That being said, he's an @$$ for hitting her and he's an @$$ for blaming juice.

The Joe Rogan interview is a joke, no doubt. All this being said, I still have respect for where CT has come from, what he has done with himself, and what he has accomplished. He hasn't had it easy, but he hasn't given up. The guy's a fighter and I respect that.

But, I certainly see your points and understand where you are coming from, FC.

Primemuscle
02-04-2018, 11:39 PM
I definitely hear what you're saying on this one, FC, and you're right to a degree. However, I believe there are a few points to consider here. The profanity to get views, well yes, he's trying to build a persona. But, also you must keep in mind that the guy lives in Compton. Sociologically speaking the verbage tossed around that area is ripe with profanity and that's just when you're speaking to your grandma and preacher. It is common place.

The demonizing steroids and saying he used them "once", well, we all know that's BS. Of course he is lying about that, but so is every po lifter, bodybuilder, football player, basketball player, baseball player, runner, etc. It's par for the course. Everyone's doing it but no one can talk about it for fears of legal retribution, sponsors leaving, public image getting smeared, etc.

Blaiming juice made him beat his wife, well, BULL SHIN-TO! That's on him 100%. It happened a long time ago and he and his Ex are still "together", see each other daily, she supports him, but they aren't together. It's a weird dynamic. That being said, he's an @$$ for hitting her and he's an @$$ for blaming juice.

The Joe Rogan interview is a joke, no doubt. All this being said, I still have respect for where CT has come from, what he has done with himself, and what he has accomplished. He hasn't had it easy, but he hasn't given up. The guy's a fighter and I respect that.

Those are valid points BB. I respect his come up, but I no longer respect him as a man. That’s bullshit to hit a woman, let alone solely blame it on AAS use. And there’s pros or great coaches that openly admit to using and even give cycle advice and have great sponsors or their own relatively successful lines of supps and/or clothing (Seth Feroce, Matt Porter, Fak Mubarak, etc.)

I can respect someone not going there, just ignoring the topic. But for someone who for sure used their fair share of AAS and have the audacity to over hype and demonize it or just flat out claim all natty (CT, Mike O’Hearn, etc.) I can’t respect that

MADDXXHATTER
02-05-2018, 02:08 AM
Yes you can definitely do powerlifting and BBing! Most people said things that I agree with but I want to reiterate the fact that powerlifting does not equal eating whatever you want! Eating shitting actually fills you up more and prevents you from hitting your daily calories in general.

Also Stan efferding and Ronnie Coleman are great examples of pro bodybuilders who were great powerlifters. Look into Stan efferding more if u want to get the powerlifting perspective.

I used to powerlift in college and I was actually pretty successful. I’m actually debating doing a strong man competition in the future. This is what I’ll say (reflecting off previous responses) powerlifting is about moving weight from point a to b. This does not always isolate the muscle to the extent that you would want in BBing. Also the pace of workouts and amount of reps you are doing add also going to change depending on your goal.

However in the end I’d say that powerlifters and bodybuilders would both agree that utilizing both of these training methods on and off helps them improve in their respective sport.
Good luck manWell said brother. I'll look up the Rhinos programs.

MADDXXHATTER
02-05-2018, 02:50 AM
Dam that changes my perspective of him. Because way before gear that dudes been out of his mind. You don’t just take gear and act ‘looney’ as he dubbed it. That man claims he runs nothing now yet look at how he talks when he trains. I don’t even get that gassed up when I’m trenned out of my mind.

And solid point about his gym. I remember reading the article when that happened.

Now hes comparable to how Mike O’Hern is. Claiming all natty when the dude can hang with Stan Efferding in lifting. Yea right.

Thanks for showing me that Fancy. I’m crazed at amazement at these characters in the fitness industry

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI figured this was commonly known now. He says he won't take anything but I doubt it. It kinda changed how I saw him also when I found out.

MADDXXHATTER
02-05-2018, 02:54 AM
Also I had another question guys, how should I be on cardio? I burn tons of calories anyways. What does everyone think?

babybull34
02-05-2018, 04:24 AM
Those are valid points BB. I respect his come up, but I no longer respect him as a man. That’s bullshit to hit a woman, let alone solely blame it on AAS use. And there’s pros or great coaches that openly admit to using and even give cycle advice and have great sponsors or their own relatively successful lines of supps and/or clothing (Seth Feroce, Matt Porter, Fak Mubarak, etc.)

I can respect someone not going there, just ignoring the topic. But for someone who for sure used their fair share of AAS and have the audacity to over hype and demonize it or just flat out claim all natty (CT, Mike O’Hearn, etc.) I can’t respect that

Valid point and I concur with you, Prime.

babybull34
02-05-2018, 04:26 AM
Also I had another question guys, how should I be on cardio? I burn tons of calories anyways. What does everyone think?

Cardio is overlooked but is necessary. Just depends on where you are at, cutting or bulking. If you stay lean year round you can get away with less.

kaneman
02-05-2018, 06:23 AM
Cardio is important for performance not for the calories burned.still have to have good cardio to pull big weight

MADDXXHATTER
02-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Cardio is important for performance not for the calories burned.still have to have good cardio to pull big weight

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhat do you think would be good Kane? 15 on an elliptical or HIIT? And how many times a week.

Had to take my thread back from CT lol

Fancycat69
02-05-2018, 10:58 AM

The cursing really doesn’t matter for me. I just think it’s annoying and that’s why I never got motivated by him in the first place.

As far as beating his wife goes: if someone mans up and admits they made a mistake and makes changes in their life then ok good for them. But blaming it on juice raises 2 huge concerns for me: 1- he is taking no responsibility for his actions, he is saying the juice MADE him do it. 2- he is bringing back stereotypes that so many people in BBing are trying to get rid of. He has to know 100s of people who do juice and are fine, but he’d rather try and safe his own reputation and claim that juice turns people into the devil. If that’s not selfish idk what is.

Also, regarding his heart: let me first say I hope he gets better. That being said have u ever seen his “motivational” video where he says- the doctor tells me all these things I can’t do. So you know what I do? I walk out the door and do whatever the fuck I want-. Ok sounds cool and tough CT, but now you’re almost dead. Maybe u should have listened to your doctor and not preached BS to your fans. So I do not feel much sympathy for the guy. He’s a liar and hypocrite in my eyes

Fancycat69
02-05-2018, 11:06 AM
What do you think would be good Kane? 15 on an elliptical or HIIT? And how many times a week.

Sorry man I apologize for hijacking. IMO HIIT is the way to go. This endurance will also help you as you work to get reps on your big 3 lifts as well. I’m a fan of HIIT in the stair master and stationary bike. I usually do 15 min 4x a week

MADDXXHATTER
02-05-2018, 11:57 AM
Sorry man I apologize for hijacking. IMO HIIT is the way to go. This endurance will also help you as you work to get reps on your big 3 lifts as well. I’m a fan of HIIT in the stair master and stationary bike. I usually do 15 min 4x a weekHey brother no worries! I'm happy to talk about other stuff like CT and those guys.

And that sounds good... Beginner question here: Does it help because you're increasing blood flow, therefore increasing oxygen and the amount of effort you can put into a lift?

Fancycat69
02-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Hey brother no worries! I'm happy to talk about other stuff like CT and those guys.

And that sounds good... Beginner question here: Does it help because you're increasing blood flow, therefore increasing oxygen and the amount of effort you can put into a lift?

Well I would not even classify that as a beginner’s question considering it takes powerlifters a long time to realize that cardio/diet are important for their sport.

That being said here’s why I think interval cardio is great for powerlifting: in order to get your muscles to be stronger, you need to do a variety of rep schemes. You’re not just hitting reps of 1-5 like most assume. Proper programs will have you hitting reps of 8, 12, and even 20 on occasion. So when you’re doing these higher repetition sets you can fail for 2 reasons. 1. You’re not strong enough 2. Your gassed out. Here is where cardio will help you out. You will be able to hit ore rep ranges and therefore get stronger.

Add this to the fact that interval cardio is great for keeping your metabolism moving and this will eventually get you to eat even more food.

MADDXXHATTER
02-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Well I would not even classify that as a beginner’s question considering it takes powerlifters a long time to realize that cardio/diet are important for their sport.

That being said here’s why I think interval cardio is great for powerlifting: in order to get your muscles to be stronger, you need to do a variety of rep schemes. You’re not just hitting reps of 1-5 like most assume. Proper programs will have you hitting reps of 8, 12, and even 20 on occasion. So when you’re doing these higher repetition sets you can fail for 2 reasons. 1. You’re not strong enough 2. Your gassed out. Here is where cardio will help you out. You will be able to hit ore rep ranges and therefore get stronger.

Add this to the fact that interval cardio is great for keeping your metabolism moving and this will eventually get you to eat even more food.That makes sense. My appetite sucks sometimes. I dropped the anadrol for alittle and it came back. I'm waiting to heal from a sprained wrist.. I don't wanna go push it and have it take longer

kaneman
02-05-2018, 08:18 PM
What do you think would be good Kane? 15 on an elliptical or HIIT? And how many times a week.

Hiit 2 Times a week. Sled pulls are great for cardio and building muscle

MADDXXHATTER
02-05-2018, 09:43 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI don't have that at my gym. There is a powerlifting gym here but it's too expensive for me right now. How about the row machine?

MasterBlaster805
02-05-2018, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE=MADDXXHATTER;680691 So is there a way I can do powerlifting and bodybuilding? Like powerbuiding?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Absolutely can do both and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Had a buddy who was a straight up fully Jacked Bodybuilder. He took the big 3 seriously! Ate Big, Trained big (hard n heavy) and took Big Juice. Our gym was a hybrid of serious national Powerlifters and bodybuilders, and back in the day we often cross trained with each other. Every year they threw a SoCal Powerlifting meet down at the beach and people came from all over to compete in it.

My bodybuilder buddy on a whim decided to enter the Powerlifting contest.... and you should have seen the look on the judges faces when he showed up to lift in his singlet! They were cracking up, cause he was the farthest thing from a powerlifter physique. He was 5'9 260 at about 7% body fat with 20" arms, big chest & lats, the whole package. It was a National Qualifier show and he didn't win or place cause he was competing in a gnarly division with some serious Powerlifters but he did it for himself and he definitely did not embarrass himself.

Google some of Ronnie Coleman's lifts on the bench, and squat and see if he could have competed in Powerlifting. The guy was a beast!

MADDXXHATTER
02-06-2018, 01:22 AM
Absolutely can do both and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Had a buddy who was a straight up fully Jacked Bodybuilder. He took the big 3 seriously! Ate Big, Trained big (hard n heavy) and took Big Juice. Our gym was a hybrid of serious national Powerlifters and bodybuilders, and back in the day we often cross trained with each other. Every year they threw a SoCal Powerlifting meet down at the beach and people came from all over to compete in it.

My bodybuilder buddy on a whim decided to enter the Powerlifting contest.... and you should have seen the look on the judges faces when he showed up to lift in his singlet! They were cracking up, cause he was the farthest thing from a powerlifter physique. He was 5'9 260 at about 7% body fat with 20" arms, big chest & lats, the whole package. It was a National Qualifier show and he didn't win or place cause he was competing in a gnarly division with some serious Powerlifters but he did it for himself and he definitely did not embarrass himself.

Google some of Ronnie Coleman's lifts on the bench, and squat and see if he could have competed in Powerlifting. The guy was a beast!Geeze 260? One hundred more lbs than me and same height lol. I don't see how people carry that weight but I'd love to. And I've met Ronnie before. Met all the big names. We have a guy here who has 26" arms and he walked up to ronnie, flexed in front of his head, took a picture and laughed as he walked off. Couldn't believe it!

MADDXXHATTER
02-06-2018, 01:51 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI shot you a PM brotha. Dont know if you got it or not. No rush just thought I'd let you know.

kaneman
02-06-2018, 01:55 AM
I shot you a PM brotha. Dont know if you got it or not. No rush just thought I'd let you know.

Replied good sir

MADDXXHATTER
02-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Ok guys, my trainer for powerlifting was busy so I met with another guy. I have my opinion but wanna hear what you think...

He said I CANT do powerlifting and bodybuilding together. One or the other. Had me deadlift and said I need to use more back and less legs... said tren is harmless and great straight. He might just handle it well idk. And that chicken and rice would beef me up to my 205# goal.

I told him right after ive been studying the worlds strongest man and he deadlifts this way. More back? Does any of this make sense?

kaneman
02-07-2018, 08:23 PM
He’s an idiot. MORE BACK!! That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. He’s right in that you can’t train for powerlifting AND bodybuilding but you can train for powerlifting and stay in Greer shape and still make some gains

Fancycat69
02-07-2018, 09:48 PM
Ok guys, my trainer for powerlifting was busy so I met with another guy. I have my opinion but wanna hear what you think...

He said I CANT do powerlifting and bodybuilding together. One or the other. Had me deadlift and said I need to use more back and less legs... said tren is harmless and great straight. He might just handle it well idk. And that chicken and rice would beef me up to my 205# goal.

I told him right after ive been studying the worlds strongest man and he deadlifts this way. More back? Does any of this make sense?

Well I’d say it this was: you cannot prepare of a BBing competition and powerlifting competition at the same time and expect to have good results.

As far as deadlift goes it depends on your stance. Of course you are going to use both legs and back to perform the lift. If you’re going sumo it’s more leg oriented, where conventional is more lower back oriented (depending on how wide your stance is). So for example on my dead lift I do not Bend my knees that much and use much legs because I use a conventional stance with my legs pretty close together. The statement your trainer made- you need to use more back- sounds pretty bad, but without hearing his POV and seeing your lift it’s hard to make a counter argument .

Chicken and rice can beef you up, but I’d make sure to obviously throw in other foods too like eggs, steak, etc

MADDXXHATTER
02-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Well I’d say it this was: you cannot prepare of a BBing competition and powerlifting competition at the same time and expect to have good results.

As far as deadlift goes it depends on your stance. Of course you are going to use both legs and back to perform the lift. If you’re going sumo it’s more leg oriented, where conventional is more lower back oriented (depending on how wide your stance is). So for example on my dead lift I do not Bend my knees that much and use much legs because I use a conventional stance with my legs pretty close together. The statement your trainer made- you need to use more back- sounds pretty bad, but without hearing his POV and seeing your lift it’s hard to make a counter argument .

Chicken and rice can beef you up, but I’d make sure to obviously throw in other foods too like eggs, steak, etcNo I meant incorporate both styles of training. Like do heavy shit and still lift volume. Powerbuilding. Im not competing. I think I asked before and everyone agreed I could do that. Maybe I worded it wrong.

MADDXXHATTER
02-07-2018, 10:07 PM
He’s an idiot. MORE BACK!! That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. He’s right in that you can’t train for powerlifting AND bodybuilding but you can train for powerlifting and stay in Greer shape and still make some gains

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThis is what I meant. Thank you Kane!! Man I was frustrated. He was showing me pics of what he used to look like and used to lift.

But more back killed me.. my back hurts today. I deadlift lift like Eddie Hall. He said to use my back. Waiting to hear back from the other guy bro. I was just super frustrated

Fancycat69
02-07-2018, 10:18 PM
No I meant incorporate both styles of training. Like do heavy shit and still lift volume. Powerbuilding. Im not competing. I think I asked before and everyone agreed I could do that. Maybe I worded it wrong.

Yeah man powerbuilding will make u a better power lifter

MADDXXHATTER
02-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Yeah man powerbuilding will make u a better power lifterOkay thats what I meant lol. Sorry for the confusion FC

roycehellion
06-26-2018, 09:49 PM
This is good info!

mastermonster
11-19-2020, 02:18 AM
I came out of bodybuilding into powerlifting. Did both together for a couple year and finally decided to just compete in powerlifting. What I'd learned in bbing definitely helped make me a better pler. For example. Bodyweight manipulation. I was able to break state, American and World records at 220, 242, 259 and 308. At my Zenith as a powerlifter here's how I trained: My powerlifts i trained at the 1st of my workout after stretching. I did only singles starting with a relatively light weight (415 squats and 225 bench and deads). Add weight and do another single and so on till I hit my goal weight for the session. Then I'd work chest tris and shoulders like an off season bodybuilder. Example: db bench presses for 3 sets of 8 -10 to build the muscle base (size) for 2 - 3 excercises per muscle group.
Same protocol on squat day and deadlift day. I trained 3 days per week. I still had abs that were very visible at 5'9" then in my mid 50s. I had more size doing this than I'd ever had as a bodybuilder. I weigh from 285 to 300 pounds during most of that time; averaging about 285ish. Gear wise was tren a and test e. Meals were( according to my wife) one per day ....it lasts all day. She said I grazed. I'd get about 300 to 350 grams of protein and about 500 grams of carbs. Not real particular about the sources (somewhat clean) LOL! My best gym lifts were multi ply: 930 squat - 705 bench - 650 dead lift. I got a lot out of my Titan equipment. My best raw with wraps gym lifts were: 705 squat - 425 bench - 600 deadlift. P.S. The 650 equipped deadlift was in a single ply Titan Velocity. Never tried to pull in a multiply suit.. This was similar in philosophy to what Doug Young called 'Powerbuilding' in the 70s...He was an original! A true Beast!