PDA

View Full Version : Heavyweight division not in the immediate future for UFC champ Jon Jones

STEROID
02-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Heavyweight division not in the immediate future for UFC champ Jon Jones

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones may eventually fight in the heavyweight division, but it won't be anytime soon.

UFC president Dana White today shot down the possibility of Jones moving to heavyweight during a press conference ahead of this weekend's UFC 143 event in Las Vegas.

Jones, who's made quick work of the 205-pound division after becoming the UFC's youngest-ever titleholder, recently told UFC officials he'd like to move up a weight class before year's end.

"It's going to happen eventually, but I don't think it'll be happening this year," White said.

Jones (15-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC), whose only career loss came via dubious disqualification (via illegal elbow strikes) to Matt Hamill in 2009, is in the midst of a five-fight win streak. In 2011 alone, he won the title from Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and defended it with victories over ex-champs Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Lyoto Machida.

Up next, of course, is an April UFC 145 headliner with longtime No. 1 contender, former training partner and current rival Rashad Evans. Dan Henderson also is on deck as a possible future opponent, and youngsters such as Alexander Gustafsson are climbing the ranks.

"There are still guys there to fight him," White said. "He's still young ... so I'm not interested in him fighting at heavyweight this year."

At just 24 years old, Jones likely will continue growing and filling out his frame, and he already pushes the upper bounds of the 205-weight class.

But a full-fledged plunge into the UFC's biggest division will have to wait – for now.

darksidefitness
02-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Smart move. I will stay in that weight class for at least 4 more good fights and then depending the money, and only then move to a Heavy weight class.