PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to start some MMA training ...

JTizzle
02-13-2012, 04:00 PM
I grew up in the country.. fighting was a weekend pass time. But have never had any sort of training. Lately I have decided I want to get some instruction and discipline and get my ass kicked a little..

Thinking Jujitsu to begin..

Any advice?

GD
02-13-2012, 04:33 PM
What state are you in...I'm sure I can recomend you to a great camp...I have very strong ties to the mma world...

JTizzle
02-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Florida... "somewhere" between tampa and miami.. maybe :)
and thanks Icon!

GD
02-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Florida... "somewhere" between tampa and miami.. maybe :)
and thanks Icon!

that makes 2 of us..lol...

JTizzle
02-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Icon, it's a small small world out there :) You should refer me to the best guys to kick my ass.. so far never happened and thats why I'm such a douche lol

GD
02-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Icon, it's a small small world out there :) You should refer me to the best guys to kick my ass.. so far never happened and thats why I'm such a douche lol

i remember when i used to say that..lol

JTizzle
02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
lol , I need a few good ass kickings to get my head straight..

GD
02-14-2012, 11:31 PM
lol , I need a few good ass kickings to get my head straight..

dont get mad when this 190lb guy makes you tap because your arm is getting ready to break off...lol

SteroidUser
02-14-2012, 11:38 PM
I first trained muay thai, started about 3 years ago. Its funny cause my kru's were about 140lbs and they manhandle a 200lb man with ease. You should be nervous when you enter the gym cause you're going to get your ass kicked. LOL

First day they should start you off in sparring, I hope they put you up with a girl that throws head kicks. lmaoo

GD
02-14-2012, 11:43 PM
I first trained muay thai, started about 3 years ago. Its funny cause my kru's were about 140lbs and they manhandle a 200lb man with ease. You should be nervous when you enter the gym cause you're going to get your ass kicked. LOL

We tell all our guys the same. Thing...come in with the attitude that your gonna get manhandled by a much smaller guy...brute strenth is only part of the game...I'm actually cutting down to 171 before march 12th...sucks the big on..because I walk around at 195...

SteroidUser
02-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Yea man, Never come into the gym with a "Im going to beat the shit out of everyone attitude" come in with an opened mind to learn. It will take some time to get the proper technique down and you will get upset for not having quick reflexes but you will build up on that. I came into the gym, sparred on the first day got my ass handed to me by a 140 lb girl. Lol. You got to start somewhere, next thing you know a year passes and I'm sparring with amateur muay thai fighters. I'm addicted to muay thai... Lol now i need to learn some BJJ.

edit: about to go train now. LMAO.. HELL YEA BUDDY.

JTizzle
02-15-2012, 01:20 AM
@steroiduser... great advice.. I got over my cocky attitude in my 20's , i'm 31 now and a fucking human sponge , soaking up anything I can learn!

mikeyg51
02-16-2012, 06:02 AM
I LOVE MMA! Great topic here, and it honestly shows humility to say you will get your ass kicked..I started boxing when I was 21 (29 now) and got my ASS beat by this 35+yr old woman! I quickly learned that I need to take a beating and learn as much as possible at that point! I really want to try either karate or muay thai...Anyone else into that?? Where i live there are some decent gyms but I think Brazilian JuiJitsu would be a great way to go in terms of grappling....maybe try to get some striking lessons of some discipline in there too, just a thought!

SteroidUser
02-17-2012, 01:05 AM
mikey i would suggest muay thai from a school that actually has thai teachers. That or have fought at the lumpinee championship. Don't just go to any normal gym bro, Avoid cardio kick boxing classes and other McDojos.