PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder hurts during/after BP

roycehellion
06-29-2018, 08:14 PM
I wanted to ask my trainer, but he is hard to talk to.
My right shoulder had been giving me a little pain during my BP, he has me doing only decline right now.

It was fine today, but my left one has been hurting as the day went on with the same kind of pain? I've been pushing my personal bests each session,.

Am I going to hard? Likely bad form? Any suggestions? Don't want this to get worse.

Droid1988
06-29-2018, 08:28 PM
I wanted to ask my trainer, but he is hard to talk to.
My right shoulder had been giving me a little pain during my BP, he has me doing only decline right now.

It was fine today, but my left one has been hurting as the day went on with the same kind of pain? I've been pushing my personal bests each session,.

Am I going to hard? Likely bad form? Any suggestions? Don't want this to get worse.
I have an idea that I might know what the issue is but first a couple questions..

How often do your train chest?
When you say you’re pushing personal best every session.. are you maxing every session?
Do you do any mobility work before and after sessions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roycehellion
06-30-2018, 01:34 PM
I do decline bp 4 days a week.
5x5 Mon Thu
3x15 Tue Fri
Aiming for failure before end of sets and dropping plates to try to finish if I can keep my endurance going

Also near vertical handstand push-ups till failure same days, same number of sets. This was my 3rd week on this routine.
That's my main chest shoulder exercises, rest wouldnt be related.
Thats is what my trainer outlined for me
I do stretch before and after.

Droid1988
06-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Dude you’re destroying your shoulders by way overtraining. Why would you do bench 4 times a week? That’s 100% the reason your shoulders hurt. Cut the frequency in half at least. Take a week off from chest and come back doing once a week and work up to twice a week tops. If your trainer has you pushing to failure 4 times a week on the same bodypart you need to find a new trainer.

Couchlockd
06-30-2018, 04:42 PM
Every few weeks I'll throw in a 4-5 days straight schest routine.

But you gotta have form tight or all the shoulder impingement will kill your rotator cuff

Couchlockd
06-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Double post

roycehellion
07-01-2018, 12:42 AM
That's what my trainer set me up for mass gaining. I'm a lightweight, 145lbs, but I'm not sure he expected me to be pushing the weight I am lifting.

Might be time to draft my own routine and have the experts here take a look at it.

roycehellion
07-01-2018, 01:03 AM
In fact my whole routine is the same exercises 4vdays in a row, but I can't stay sore and it focuses on every major muscle group.

Plate Smacker
08-14-2018, 08:40 PM
I had shoulder issues in bench press, as well as bicep insertion pain.
I found a slightly wider grip, and elimination of paused bench. Also, instead of lowering slowly, letting the weight fall faster on the way down.

roycehellion
08-14-2018, 08:43 PM
I was keeping the bar too high dropped yo 1-2 inches below my nipples and it took a lot 9f stress off my shoulders.
I had shoulder issues in bench press, as well as bicep insertion pain.
I found a slightly wider grip, and elimination of paused bench. Also, instead of lowering slowly, letting the weight fall faster on the way down.

Sent from my Vivo XL2 using Tapatalk

Themaskedrider
08-14-2018, 08:46 PM
My shoulder is fucked from BP, can't even think about doing flat anymore. I just scheduled an MRI in fact...

Chrisdieselvegan
08-14-2018, 08:57 PM
I drop the bar 2 inches below my peck . Any higher and my A/c is fucking killing me

roycehellion
08-14-2018, 09:16 PM
I drop the bar 2 inches below my peck . Any higher and my A/c is fucking killing me

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah, that's about where I am. Made a world of difference. Took about a month to get pain free.

MarvelNerd
08-14-2018, 09:22 PM
I was keeping the bar too high dropped yo 1-2 inches below my nipples and it took a lot 9f stress off my shoulders.

About three years ago i went from the common body building press with wide elbows to a correct powerlifting form. It killed my press weight, but it has saved a bad shoulder from getting worse. My press is finally coming along too.

MarvelNerd
08-14-2018, 09:23 PM

About three years ago i went from the common body building press with wide elbows to a correct powerlifting form. It killed my press weight, but it has saved a bad shoulder from getting worse. My press is finally coming along too.

roycehellion
08-14-2018, 09:23 PM
What's the big differences? Can you share?

chunky_bit
08-14-2018, 10:30 PM
You may find that you have some pain in your rotator cuff and it is coming through the front delt. Give this video a watch:
TRAINING THROUGH SHOULDER INJURIES | Prof. Andrew Lock - YouTube (https://youtu.be/iVoplVKsK3U)

Chadi1ac
08-15-2018, 10:40 AM
I have been working through pain in front felt during BP. Good info

bigpapapumpaf
08-22-2018, 11:10 PM
Id say your trainer is an idiot and you should find a new one. You can not bench 4 days a week, or anything else other than cardio 4 days a week. You must let the muscle recover or you're wasting your time.

BPP