PDA

View Full Version : How long does brewed gear stay good?

akinyele
08-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Does the carrier oil you use matter or does the BA and everything help preserve it?

balin
08-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Pharmaceutical grade gear stays stable for years. I have seen expiration dates that were over 3 years away. So home brew should have the same longevity if the same ingredients are used.

Raw
08-01-2018, 02:42 PM
The last pharmaceutical grade I had was manufactured Jan, 2018 and shows an expiration date of Jan, 2022. Not sure this answers your question.

akinyele
08-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Pharmaceutical grade gear stays stable for years. I have seen expiration dates that were over 3 years away. So home brew should have the same longevity if the same ingredients are used.
They use cottonseed oil right? Isn't that somewhat inferior to homebrewers though? I see MIG, GSO, and MCT being the most popular but I'm unsure if any of those are better preserved.

THX
08-02-2018, 08:39 PM
As for potency, it'll be good to use for a very long time (years) depending on how you store it. Ampoules will last for a very long time since they are airtight. If you haven't poked a whole in the vials rubber stopper that will also be good for several years. As for what oil to use, it doesn't really matter. Make stuff that will last you for 1-1.5 years.

akinyele
08-03-2018, 01:54 AM
As for potency, it'll be good to use for a very long time (years) depending on how you store it. Ampoules will last for a very long time since they are airtight. If you haven't poked a whole in the vials rubber stopper that will also be good for several years. As for what oil to use, it doesn't really matter. Make stuff that will last you for 1-1.5 years.But doesn't the oil itself go rancid? Or is that only without solvents in it?

balin
08-03-2018, 02:32 PM
But doesn't the oil itself go rancid? Or is that only without solvents in it?

It depends on how much air, heat, light it gets. But Pharamacutcal companies say their product is good for years so that is good enough for me as they would use a shorter date if needed ,as it would lead to more sales and less law suits.

THX
08-08-2018, 05:31 PM
But doesn't the oil itself go rancid? Or is that only without solvents in it? balin gave you some good info. Solvents helps a lot. And since no air comes in, you store it in a dark cool place etc. All that helps.

Christiefresh1
05-29-2020, 08:59 AM
It all depends on the solvents guys! It’s the whole point of the solvents. BA will keep it sterile for a prolonged time 2% is always perfect and the BB is the shelf life! That’s why it’s important not to really mess with low bb unless it’s personal use and your pinning a bottle a week (then by all means 7.5% bb etc is fine but 18-20% bb must be used if your brewing for other reasons. Hope this helps