PDA

View Full Version : BUILD HUGE TRAPS!

Spawn
03-05-2012, 03:23 AM
The trapezius muscle is a large muscle in the middle of the upper back that is primarily used to support the arm, although it is also used to rotate and move the scapula. The most noticeable portion of the trapezius muscle is the superior region, which is used to support the arm. This is the part that extends out from the next and creates a "hump" on top of the shoulders. The muscle derives its name because the two muscles create a shape similar to a trapezioid.
Practical uses of strengthening the trapezius muscle include better posture, more raw lifting ability, and better arm / shoulder stability. Posture is important because uneven trapezius musculature correlates strongly with scoliosis and other spine defects.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/1788805_f260.jpg
Credit: Wikipedia

The most common part of the trapezius to work is the upper portion due to the relative ease compared to the other portions. In order to get a big traps, many people do shrugs or similar lifts, like the upright row. There are ways to work the lower of the traps, but most of these methods are not direct like shrugs are, for example. It's close to impossible to isolate the lower traps, but barbell rows and pull ups do a wonderful job of building them up.

Why You Want Big TrapsLarge traps are an easy way to tell if someone works out or not. They are a very large muscle if worked properly and highly pronounced, creating large slabs of meat on the sides of the neck and on top of the shoulders. Aside from looking menacing, which they certainly do, strong traps are also functionally useful. They can help you lift stuff off the ground, like a heavy refrigerator.
Since we've established that having large and powerful traps are important, here are some tips on how to build them up properly.

Superior Trapezius Workouts

Shrugs: These will be the core of your trap workout. They put a tremendous amount of strain on the muscle and are very good for strengthening it. You'll be able to use a heavy weight early on, but make sure to not strain yourself or roll your shoulders. Rolling your shoulders could damage your rotator cuff which'll put you out of commission for a long while. Try doing them behind your back also (with a barbell.) This is probably the most important exercise to get big traps with.

Upright rows: The upright row is, in my opinion, a superior functional lift to the shrugs, although they don't place as much direct stress on your traps. They do, however, put a good amount of stress on your shoulders and create a large range of motion for your traps, which actually promotes as much muscular growth as shrugs. Be careful of how much weight you use when doing this lift because it is very easy to hurt your shoulder with them. The same shoulder rolling advice holds true for these - be careful not to tear your rotator cuff!

Intermediate and Inferior Trapezius Exercises
Cable row: The cable row is a great exercise that primarily hits your lats, but it'll also work your traps if you know how to do it correctly. When doing the cable row, be sure to pinch your shoulder blades together, which'll place additional stress on your trapezius muscles. This is probably the most direct and easiest way to work out the intermediate muscle fibers, although it'll also hit the inferior fibers. You can substitute the cable row with dumbbell or barbell rows, but it is more difficult to pull your shoulder blades together with these lifts. The T-bar row is another great choice and probably the best upper back lift around. Row exercises will make your back thicker and stronger.

Pull up: Pull ups are a largely underappreciated exercise that place a tremendous amount of stress on your shoulders, lats, and traps. These are very effective for working the inferior and intermediate fibers and will grant you a larger back overall. These are best for building width (from left to right) and highly recommended for anyone that wants to take their workout seriously. Lateral pull downs are a similar exercise that you can do if you are unable to do pull ups.

Power Lifts For TrapsWhile isolation and compound lifts are good for building up your traps, power exercises might even be better. I'm not going to list complicated and excessively difficult olympic lifts, but their derivatives are worth doing and will build power and build up your traps. These are better overall exercises than the lifts I mentioned above, but they do not target the traps as specifically and you'll get less stimulation per work out since they'll tire you out so much.

Power Clean

Cleans: Any type of clean is effective, although I prefer to do a full power clean from the ground. Hanging cleans will isolate the traps more, but I feel like I'm cheating my core if I only do them. The power clean is arguably the best power-building exercise in the world of weight lifting and will benefit you more, overall, than probably any other lift sans the olympic ones.
Power Straight: This is a two-part exercise that is similar to the pull up, except it's much more difficult and also much more rewarding. This is another great core exercise that puts a ton of stress on your upper back and shoulders, but also works your triceps, abdominals, and hips. This is my personal favorite exercise, although it is very, very difficult. Unless you're lean or very explosive, you'll probably have a hard time with this one.

Crowley
03-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Great post Smalls1 --- I hit my back and Traps hard today. I did the following workouts. Dumbbell shrugs, Seated rows, Upright rows, One Arm dumbell rows, Lat pull downs behind the neck and Lat pulldowns Front, I also did Dips with Chains as weight and finished with a great bicep pump on the preacher curl.

Spawn
03-05-2012, 05:20 AM
Thanks brotha! Not my own words tho just a good find! I wouldnt want to take all the credit!

WidowMaker
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Good post brother!
I've used a lot the tips in Pual Kelso's book to build trap with.
For me personally. I've found heavy as possible on all types of shrugging exercises.
Then rep 'em out for 1-2 sets from 12-20. With pauses on reps of about 3-5 sec holds.
IMHO.....

ShortnWide
03-05-2012, 02:37 PM
That's a good little read on trap building.

Spawn
03-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys.

Ttownmudder
03-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Nice Read I love working traps

mth496
03-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Bro you are the man. Thanks for this i really lag in this area, but a few exercises could help change that. Thanks for the tip

Spawn
03-06-2012, 12:33 AM
No problem bro, i rly appreciate it brothas!

alterntego
03-06-2012, 02:22 AM
I kind of have the problem where my shoulders and traps get far to massive . I have to be careful not to do to many excercise for them . they're like fricking weeds . nice read but I think I will avoid it

Spawn
03-06-2012, 02:48 AM
Thats good man! Wish mine was like that.

Patriot1405
03-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Another good read Smalls!

Spawn
03-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Thnx buddy!

Spawn
05-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Bump!

ironman16
05-31-2012, 01:44 AM
damn good read !!!

Spawn
05-31-2012, 05:15 AM
Thanks bro.

omni
05-31-2012, 05:55 AM
Not all of us get a chance to search and read things. Thanks for the post.

smurfnu469
07-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Nice info Smalls1, it's very interesting and useful. Thankz

deathdodger
07-17-2012, 09:51 PM
great info kid

berniec
08-16-2012, 01:56 PM
shrugs for the win, love doing shoulders!

BIGBOSS
08-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Good post!! BIG TRAPS here I come!

cellmasss
08-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Nice post and solid info

superdave
08-31-2012, 11:36 PM
thats good read thanks alot bro

maul
09-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Good read, considering most of us have thrown traps at the end of our workout with three sets of half assed shrugs

Emman
09-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the post time to get bigger traps

Drew60
09-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Heavy deads followed by shrugs destroys your traps

bigboithetank
10-02-2012, 03:14 AM
This post is very informative. I'm working on getting my traps to fill out more. I'm starting out with Deadlifts first. Then BB shrugs then DB shrugs.

bigboithetank
10-02-2012, 03:21 AM

That's what I'm gonna work on this week. ;)

bigboithetank
10-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Just blasted traps tonight, did what I said I was gonna do. Started with Deadlifts, BB Shrugs, then DB Shrugs. All four sets for a total of 12 sets.

tidepride25
10-08-2012, 06:48 AM
I ususally do my shrugs and upright rows on shoulder day instead of back day. Do some people do them on back day?

bugse2342
10-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Good stuff, thkx bro

fireant
10-12-2012, 03:13 AM
i want huge traps someday

PAiN
10-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Great post bro.

gotgear
10-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Great post, this totally motivated me to hammer the shit out of my traps today.

Camzilla
10-19-2012, 01:44 AM

^^^Truth^^^

JohnnyTribal
10-19-2012, 04:12 AM
Face pulls or neck pulls always tend to hit my traps really well mainly the mid section of them and my
Posterior delts. Great feeling though and good routines^^^^ :p

JohnnyTribal
10-19-2012, 04:13 AM
I do shoulders and traps together, last and everything else on a separate day or routine

1tuffcookie
10-20-2012, 10:48 PM
For me it's traps with shoulders. Super set upright rows with dumbell shrugs. Great pump and rounds out a solid shoulder routine for me. Gives me that look like I'm wearing shoulder pads over my shirt. LOL!!!!!

moreweight
11-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Is it just me or do you guys have trouble with shrugging with the barbell behind you? I always hit my ass and it messes me up

Odin21
12-31-2013, 04:06 AM
Great Post! A solid set of traps will definitely help you stand out from the crowd

Vikingquest
12-31-2013, 05:53 AM
I do shoulders and traps together, last and everything else on a separate day or routine

Same here, trying to set my traps into a new level for me. Actually did them tonight. Then ate two chicken breasts and some rice lol

zoomzelineee
12-31-2013, 08:42 AM
Deadlifting and facepulls are king for traps, you will never really see a guy that can deadlift 250kg + with small traps

Sliderman
01-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Excellent!