PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' D.J. Williams, Ryan McBean, Virgil Green suspended for performance-enhancing drugs Read more: Broncos' D.J. Williams, Ryan McBean, Virgil Green suspended for performance-enhancing drugs

STEROID
03-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Broncos' D.J. Williams, Ryan McBean, Virgil Green suspended for performance-enhancing drugs

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post03/10/2012

Even as the Broncos gleefully courted free-agent quarterback Peyton Manning, the franchise was slapped hard by the NFL. Three players were suspended Friday for violations of the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Linebacker D.J. Williams, a starter since the start of his rookie season in 2004, and defensive tackle Ryan McBean were each suspended for the first six games of the 2012 season, and tight end Virgil Green was suspended four games. All three suspensions would begin the Monday before the season opener.

In a statement, the Broncos said: "We are aware of this matter, but due to the confidentiality of the program, we are unable to provide additional comment on the situation."

Williams, who along with cornerback Champ Bailey is the longest-tenured Broncos player on the roster, reacted swiftly Friday afternoon, releasing a statement that said the NFL "ignored my specimen had been compromised," called his suspension "unjust" and said he will pursue legal action against the NFL.

In his statement, Williams also said, "I have never failed a test of any kind — for steroids or illegal substances — during my eight-year pro career. I am proud of my record and proud of the way in which I conduct myself as a professional athlete and citizen."

Three NFL sources said the players were tested before the 2011 season and their appeals have been heard and denied by the league. Williams' statement said "we proved — conclusively — at the NFL hearing on this matter that the NFL and its specimen collector wholly failed in their duties to safeguard and process my specimen properly."

The NFL declined to comment on Williams' allegations.

Peter Schaffer, the agent and attorney for McBean, will take the same action against the league.

"I am going to vigorously fight to make sure Ryan McBean is completely exonerated," Schaffer said. "He's done nothing wrong. He's not been tested positive for anything. Ryan's rights have been so violated by the NFL, it's shameful."

Harold Henderson, who works in the commissioner's office, was the judge in the case.

"I told the judge, 'at least act like you're impartial,' " Schaffer said. " 'I know you're not; just give me a break and act like you're impartial.'

"The NFL admitted their collector screwed up because they terminated him for dereliction of duty. They fired the collector, they said the collector clearly violated protocol and they still (found against) the players. The players never — this is very important — the players never tested positive for a steroid."

Unlike the league's policy on illegal drugs — in which a first failed test results in the player entering a drug rehabilitation program without a suspension — the first violation under the policy on performance-enhancing substances results in a suspension.

Green received a four-game suspension for a first-time positive test. A league source said Williams and McBean each received two additional games to their suspensions because of inconsistencies on the players' part during the collection of the urine samples. Williams said the league informed him he had submitted "a nonhuman sample."

Green posted on his Twitter account: "I was suspended for taking ADHD medication prior to approval from NFL. I have now been approved to take the medication to treat my ADHD. I apologize to my teammates, the Bronco organization and my family and friends. Thank you guys for all your support."

Williams' and McBean's suspensions would cost them six game checks, and Green's suspension would cost him four game checks. In Williams' case, he has the third-highest salary cap figure on the team ($6.732 million) with a $5 million base salary, so his suspension would cost him $1.77 million.

Because the team's makeover on defense continues and Williams has one of the highest cap numbers, his future is uncertain.

McBean is a restricted free agent, meaning the Broncos could match offers he receives from any other team.

Green is scheduled to make a $465,000 base salary, so his suspension will cost him $109,412.

All three players, if under contract with the team, can participate in all offseason activities, including training camp and preseason games.

STEROID
03-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Williams, McBean file challenge to six-game suspensions

As expected, Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams and defensive end Ryan McBean (http://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rotoworld.com%2Fplayer% 2Fnfl%2F4354%2Fryan-mcbean) filed in court on Monday a legal challenge to the league’s imposition of six-game suspensions on each of them for allegedly violating the league’s steroids policy. PFT has obtained a copy of the relevant paperwork.

Although their suspensions were resolved via binding arbitration, the law allows arbitration awards to be attacked under certain specific circumstances. Generally, the players claim that the arbitrator assigned to the case (NFL executive Harold Henderson) exceeded his powers, engaged in misconduct, disregarded the law, and was not impartial. Specifically, they argue (among other things) that Henderson “ignored fatal issues concerning the collection process, safeguarding of the urine specimens and chain of custody,” engaged in private communications with the NFL about the case, delayed the ruling at the direction of the NFL, and failed to issue a decision within five days after the hearing.

They seek not only a reversal of the suspensions but a preliminary injunction preventing the suspensions from being implemented while the case is pending.

To support their claims, the players allege multiple violations of the league’s sample-collection and chain-of-custody procedures. Williams alleges a failure to seal the sample in his presence, failure to document the time the sample was provided, failure to secure Williams’ initials on the seal on the side of the specimen container, failure to establish the whereabouts of the sample for as long as two hours and 50 minutes, and failure to indicate the time the sample was received by FedEx. McBean claims that he did not personally witness the sealing of two of four sample vials, and that certain documents regarding the arrival of the sample at the lab were duplicative and contradictory, with one record showing the sample was received on August 20, 2011 and another record showing the sample arrived a week later.

The tests determined the samples to be non-human specimens.
Complicating matters for the league is that the specimen collector eventually was fired for failure “to fulfill his duties and obligations as a specimen collector in material manners, including with regard to the collection, handling and safeguarding of the Williams Urine Specimen and McBean Urine Specimen.”

The players also claim that NFL general counsel Jeff Pash directed Henderson to delay the issuance of a ruling following the December 13, 2011 appeal hearing. Although the players do not specifically contend that Pash hoped to ensure that the players would be available during Denver’s playoff run, the petition points out the benefit the league derived from a delay: “[T]he NFL was riding the wave of publicity flowing from [Tim] Tebow’s rise to stardom. By pushing the possible suspensions beyond the 2011 season, the NFL commercially benefited by keeping the Broncos as competitive as possible during the 2011 playoff run, for the NFL’s pecuniary benefit and at the Players’ expense.”

Though some would say that the players also benefited from having the suspensions delayed, Williams will lose more money in 2012 because he has a higher salary. Also, McBean is a free agent, and the full six-game suspension could make it harder for him to land a new contract.

The court likely will issue soon an order establishing a date for the filing of the NFL’s response. The case seems to be fairly straightforward, unless the NFL disputes the key factual allegations regarding the chain of custody flaws, the communications between Pash and Henderson, and/or the requirement that a decision be issued within five days.

mth496
03-15-2012, 12:01 AM
I dont get it, there not hurting anyone. I hate that professional sports players can not use steroids. I mean Testosterone atleast. I want to see my favorite players playing for years. Training year round, playing and injurys wear your body down alot.

STEROID
03-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Whats sad about it is not only what we all already know.......AAS taken responsibly have no worse health risks than anything else,including food.Eat too much junk food and well see where your blood pressure is at and your cholesterol level is at,etc,etc,etc.but also has way less health risks than the legal m,edications prescribed to them and we won't even get into the health risks and deaths from cigarettes and alcohol.

But even putting any potential health risks aside,the bottom line is these guys get paid to PERFORM.PERIOD!!! There is so much pressure put on them to win and when they don't their careers are put at risk.The owners,the coaches,THE FANS don't give a shit about them or their health as long as they keep winning! So when these guys get hurt and still have to perform,are they going to be forgiven for not doing just that? Will everyone say...."HEY HE/SHE IS CANT PLAY WORTH A SHIT NOW BUT AT LEAST THEY'RE DOING IT HONESTLY"??? I think not! So who the hell has the right to tell these guys that they cannot do whatever it takes to win?? Especially since they are hurting no one!! If they want to take these "so called" risks,then its their choice.Thats how it should be.This is the land of the free right? As long as that freedom does not interfere with anyone else's? I haven't read anywhere in the constitution about not cheating in sports!

Tell you what,when the govt and politicians stop cheating and stealing from us and they prove they are really concerned about our well being by making the real killers illegal like booze and smokes,maybe i'll start to really believe that they care.Wont change the facts about the health risks (or lack of them actually) with using AAS but at least they would have a better leg to stand on in regards to doing things for our best interests.