PDA

View Full Version : Saw Palmetto

tilltheend
03-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Saw Palmetto could be one of the most relevant and one of the safest herbal medications around. Originally used by the Native Americans to promote strength, the berries of this plant have now become one of the main herbal choices in, among other things, the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or enlarged prostate glands.

Some research suggests that Saw Palmetto inhibits the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), (thats the bad one that causes baldness and acne). DHT is thought to increase the number of prostate cells and consequently enlarge the prostate gland which negatively effects sexual performance and urinary flow. Saw palmetto protects the prostate cells from DHT and stops oestrogen’s effects on the prostate.

The American Medical Association concluded, after substantial studies involving Saw Palmetto, that it was just as effective as the medication "Finasteride" in relieving the symptoms of an enlarged prostate, Saw Palmetto has since become the first choice in Austria and Germany when treating those with enlarged prostate as it has fewer side effects than Finasteride.

Saw Palmetto has a variety of uses. It has been used for centuries as an aphrodisiac and sexual tonic, helping to raise energy levels. It has a positive effect on the reproductive organs, regulating sex hormones, promoting reproductive strength, supporting the normal activity and development of reproductive organs and helping in the growth of new body tissue. Herbal practitioners have also been prescribing this derivative of the palm family to treat impotency and those with a reduced libido. The Native Americans also used the berries as a general wide acting tonic and they have been used as a cough syrup, appetite stimulant and an anti-inflammatory.

Saw Palmetto plays an important nutritional role in the prevention and treatment of diseases that rob the body of strength, stunt growth and also more common cases such as fatigue and depression. The berries aid the endocrine system by also having a direct effect on the pancreas, helping the regulation of digestive juices. In recent studies it has also been shown that some renal and pancreatic cancer cells were inhibited by two active substances found in Saw Palmetto.

An extract from the Saw Palmetto berry was found to contain small amounts of sterol compounds which act in a similar way to testosterone, progesterone and oestrogen, depending on whether it is taken by a man or a woman. The berry has also been found to have antiseptic properties.

All in all the most therapeutic properties of the Saw Palmetto berries are:
as a diuretic, having a therapeutic effect on the bladder and prostate gland, promoting a good flow of urine;
as a hormone tonic, supporting the organs of the endocrine system (adrenal and thyroid glands, ovaries and pancreas);
as a tonic and nutritive, used as a subtle booster for sex drive and the immune system.

All the above benefits are very relevant to "chemically enhanced" athletes who may have effected their own hormone production and older athletes whose natural testosterone production has diminished with age. Any product which can positively assist with all of the above must be a consideration.

Camzilla
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Going to the pharmacy to get SP today. Since starting on TRT I have been worried about my prostate.

bigpimpdaddy
03-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Been using it for months now...Time will tell if it lives up to its studies...

PAiN
03-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the post. I have been using this stuff everyday for years and will til they bury me.

Patriot1405
03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
What dosage do you guys run? Article doesn't mention proper dosage amounts!

Camzilla
03-27-2012, 09:40 AM
I bought the 450mg and am takin it at 900mg Ed. According to the bottle, it should be more freq, but I wanna ease into it.