PDA

View Full Version : Dash of melatonin boosts post-training GH

tilltheend
03-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Dash of melatonin boosts post-training GH

Sports scientists think that the boost in growth hormone levels that occurs after a workout with weights is responsible for muscle growth and rejuvenating effects. If they are right, then taking a low dose of melatonin before training may have interesting effects. According to researchers at Baylor University the supplement raises growth hormone secretion after your workout.

The researchers' discovery is not entirely new and, for the record, they were funded by Iovate Health Sciences. [iovate.com] British endocrinologists discovered in 1999 that after a cardio training session more growth hormone circulates round your body if you take 5 mg melatonin before starting the training.

But does the same work with strength training? That's what the researchers at Baylor set out to find out, and so did an experiment with 30 well-trained men and 30 well-trained women. The subjects all did the same short strength training session early in the afternoon. On one occasion an hour before starting the workout they took a placebo; on the other occasions they took a pill containing 0.5 mg melatonin or a pill containing 5 mg melatonin.

The figures below show what happened to the men. The low dose of melatonin certainly caused an extra high GH peak after the training. There was no effect on the IGF-1 level, which usually rises if the GH level goes up. The melatonin also caused a rise in production of the protein IGFBP-3. This protein makes IGF-1 more effective. There was no effect on IGFBP-1, a protein that neutralises IGF-1.

The researcher's study has made some of the mechanism clearer. Melatonin reduced the secretion of somatostatin, the hormone that inhibits the production of growth hormone.

In the women none of these effects were observed. The researchers don't know why, but it seems that the melatonin trick only works with men.

In 2006 Swedish researchers published the results of a trial in which they got test subjects to do strength training after taking 6 mg melatonin. [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2006 Apr;96(6):729-39.] This dose was too high, and lowered the GH peak.

Strength athletes who believe in the positive effect of the GH peak, could experiment with melatonin supplementation before working out. Low-dose melatonin supplements containing 0.1 mg melatonin per tablet are available in every drug store. Five of these should make up an effective dose. If you take them during the day you shouldn’t have problems with sleepiness: the dose is too light for that.

You could combine melatonin with a mild stimulant, such as caffeine. This not only helps combat sleepiness, but may also boost the effect of the melatonin supplement on the growth hormone peak. One theory is that melatonin stimulates growth hormone secretion by stimulating the secretion of the hormone GHRH. You can increase the manufacture of GHRH during exercise through central alpha-1 and alpha-2 adrenergic stimulation. Read: by using mild stimulants such as caffeine.

Source:
J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Oct 23;4:14.

rghtnow
03-29-2012, 02:13 PM
That's a great post bro. Melatonin is an interesting compound and it has been linked with several actions that are similar to GH and i'm not surprised that there may be a correlation. For one Melatonin is known to interact with the immune system and has been studied as a possible way to slow the aging process. Much like GH. It is also currently in studies to see it's effectiveness in fighting some Diseases such as HIV and in Bacterial infections. It's also being examined as a possible treatment in Cancer patients. Def worth looking into. Great Post!!

Ttownmudder
03-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I take it every night great for sleep

tilltheend
03-30-2012, 11:20 PM
That's a great post bro. Melatonin is an interesting compound and it has been linked with several actions that are similar to GH and i'm not surprised that there may be a correlation. For one Melatonin is known to interact with the immune system and has been studied as a possible way to slow the aging process. Much like GH. It is also currently in studies to see it's effectiveness in fighting some Diseases such as HIV and in Bacterial infections. It's also being examined as a possible treatment in Cancer patients. Def worth looking into. Great Post!!

Didn't know that thanks for adding some great information.

bully42
07-19-2012, 05:18 PM
thanks for the post.gonna give it a try.

Roaddkingg
07-20-2012, 04:11 AM
Very interesting.
I always have melatonin around and use it sometimes in the evenings.
I can tell you this it sure helps sleeping and gives some vivid dreams.
Looking forward to trying it for this purpose as well. We all need every little edge we can get.

metromuscle
07-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks for posting this, although I personally would have to carefully experiment with this before training. Whenever I took melatonin before bed I would definitely get to sleep fast; but the halacious dreams I had would actually wake me up, so much I discontinued taking it. Perhaps adding caffeine would help as mentioned...............

SuperNinja43
07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Until you fall asleep mid.... ZZzzzzz

swinging_away
07-25-2012, 02:43 AM
Great for me before bed. Prefer it over medication. Ive always had trouble sleeping. Doc scrpited me ***** and I prefer not to take a benzo as you can become dependent.