PDA

View Full Version : When to add wrist wraps

GymPrincess
10-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Hello all. Just curious at which weight do you guys add wrist wraps for benching? I have recently been noticing some wrist pain the more I am doing heavy weight. I had used them for a bit and then my wrist were better so I went a few months without them. But feeling pain again.

Is it a good idea to always use them when going so heavy?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bullcrew
10-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Get the adjustable ones that you twist to tighten and reverse to loosen. Then you can wear them and not have to take off and on...

I make it a rule to wear them period on upper body...I broke my left wrist at a strength competition 4 weeks ago.forgot my straps and clean and press #2 it fractured then aveludeda tendon...so now I have to cloth tape the hell out of it to keep training while it's broken and to keep tendon in place....

My bad I didnt strap up....just my .02 an ounce of prevention is worth its weight in gold..

kaneman
10-16-2018, 09:32 PM
I was always bad about using them but last meet prep I had terrible elbow pain and it was from my wrists bending back too far on heavy benches. Now I use them anytime I go even slightly heavy. Keeps wrists tight and gives good support. Also look into proper wrist wrapping cause 99% of ppl do it wrong and don’t wrap up onto the hand like your supposed to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullcrew
10-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Kaneman has a great point and is right set it up and try it for yourself first to get proper position....I have a sweet spot that flows but locks up beautifull...out of it it pulls and binds...

astevens2
10-19-2018, 01:59 AM
I would use them at least for my top sets or maybe even the set before my top sets too

Redrocketriggs
10-19-2018, 05:22 AM
I personally use them on anything higher then 80 percent of my one rep max.

Junkrat
10-19-2018, 05:26 AM
I only use them when maxing or if my joints are just feelin alittle loose. Listen to your body.

doomer39er
10-25-2018, 10:35 AM
I use them on all barbell movements unless it is stupid light. I don't wear them for any other pressing seems to work ok for me.

Jackman96
11-08-2018, 05:11 AM
For powerlifting and strength purposes you get the most power transfer when your wrist is complete straight verses bent on pressing motions.

Crank those wrist wraps on tight and squeeze the bar like a mofo to keep the wrist in line.

I’d only wear them on your heavy stuff though. Just like training with a belt you want to get some work in without it so that way you get more carryover from the equipment when you use them

Loose Cannon
11-08-2018, 07:44 AM
hate to make a that guy post, but i dont ever use them for bench. if something hurts get it better and go a little lighter until your pain free. if you keep wrapping and wrapping your gonna be fucked in 10 years.

Ryan1007
11-12-2018, 11:48 PM
Generally I use them when I working with weight that I repping for 6 or less but if I had chronic wrist pain I'd wear them for most of my bench work.

cookiemonster
02-16-2019, 04:31 PM
I only ever used them going heavy on bench, i dont use them at all for overhead pressing

docgreen77
02-16-2019, 04:54 PM
I use them when I’m in my heavier sets. Never thought about using them of ohp.

SwoleSooner
02-16-2019, 05:40 PM
I use them when i wonder if i should use them. Seriously, if it's on my mind, i use em, just for the peace of mind

docgreen77
02-16-2019, 06:16 PM
I use them when i wonder if i should use them. Seriously, if it's on my mind, i use em, just for the peace of mind

I prob should use them more as I’ve gotten older. Like you said, peace of mind

Alterspanic132
07-22-2019, 01:06 PM
I only use them when maxing or if my joints are just feelin alittle loose.

Ironbar
04-25-2020, 04:54 AM
I had surgery on my wrist a few years back so wear them pretty much as soon as my warm up is over.

Mattymoo
04-25-2020, 11:56 AM
I use them and they help to keep wrists straight

Frome
04-25-2020, 03:01 PM
Hello all. Just curious at which weight do you guys add wrist wraps for benching? I have recently been noticing some wrist pain the more I am doing heavy weight. I had used them for a bit and then my wrist were better so I went a few months without them. But feeling pain again.

Is it a good idea to always use them when going so heavy?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For me, I look at what I’m trying to target and whether or not the wrists are the weakest link in the kinetic chain preventing me from hitting the target muscle group to failure. For example when I’m doing weighted pull-ups my hands want to give out before my back and as such they are limiting me. Removing them from the chain so to speak with wraps also helps me to get a better mind muscle connection with the target muscle/s.

Frome
04-25-2020, 03:03 PM
For me, I look at what I’m trying to target and whether or not the wrists are the weakest link in the kinetic chain preventing me from hitting the target muscle group to failure. For example when I’m doing weighted pull-ups my hands want to give out before my back and as such they are limiting me. Removing them from the chain so to speak with wraps also helps me to get a better mind muscle connection with the target muscle/s.
Just read other posts and think I may have misunderstood your question. Was thinking you were referring to the wrist wraps that go around the bar as opposed to wraps meant to stabilize the wrists.
I've used the latter for heavy bench and it definitely helps.

docgreen77
07-26-2020, 12:30 AM
I’ll use them when I’m doing heavy shrugs. Yeah I know that will make my forearms stronger. I do it to concentrate on my delta and traps since that’s what I’m working on. But on dead day, I do t use them.

thebear
07-26-2020, 03:00 AM
IMO never [emoji23] If you can’t hold it you shouldn’t be lifting it. Your grip creates stability through your kinetic chain to the shoulders. You need Stability in the shoulders for mobility of the arm. You can’t hit a good ball from kayak right. My theory is the over use of straps
de-stabilizes the shoulder complex.

That’s my 2c.

docgreen77
07-26-2020, 05:19 AM
I hold at the top for 3-4 seconds. Slow up and slow down. It’s controlled. I never go too heavy. I concentrate on my traps and delts. I work arms on a different day. My traps and delts get a good pump from this. Been doing it for years. No complaints. I’ve seen some guys struggle with heavy weight and get nothing out of it. I am not about to fuck anything up. I don’t get paid to lift weights. I do it to keep in shape and to to keep up with these younger guys on the dept.

dykstra91
08-20-2020, 11:50 PM
IMO never [emoji23] If you can’t hold it you shouldn’t be lifting it. Your grip creates stability through your kinetic chain to the shoulders. You need Stability in the shoulders for mobility of the arm. You can’t hit a good ball from kayak right. My theory is the over use of straps
de-stabilizes the shoulder complex.

That’s my 2c.

I get your reasoning but I also believe that lifting heavy your wrist is the weak point and why not protect it on your top set. I agree anything but the top set should be without to keep the chain and stability on point.

mastermonster
11-16-2020, 06:00 AM
I've always wrapped my wrist after my 1st warmup. On my 3 powerlift movements I want every rep of every set to be as meet like as possible. Same with my knee wraps for squats. I also do all my squat reps in briefs. I squat extremely wide in a monolift.

Synaptic
04-10-2023, 01:49 AM
Once I started developing carpal tunnel I use them for the majority of my working sets. Not always right away. If I start to feel pain I use them. I won't with my added forearm training tho