PDA

View Full Version : Green tea could mask testosterone doping

baby1
04-02-2012, 10:41 AM
ATHLETES who cheat by doping themselves with testosterone may be able to mask their actions by drinking green tea. Large quantities might even provide a legal performance boost by raising levels of testosterone in the blood.

Abuse of testosterone is hard to spot because the steroid hormone is found naturally in men and women. Tests rely on detecting an unusual ratio of testosterone to a hormone called epitestosterone in urine.

In lab tests, Declan Naughton and colleagues at Kingston University London discovered that compounds called catechins, found in tea, inhibit an enzyme called UGT2B17. This enzyme attaches glucuronic acid to testosterone, making it more likely to be excreted in urine

Catechins are present in green and white tea but not in black. "Levels from a strong cup of green tea match those we used in our experiments," Naughton says.

Athletes dosing themselves with testosterone may be able to reduce the amount of hormone entering their urine by drinking green or white tea. Tea alone may also boost circulating levels of testosterone by blocking its excretion.

The researchers have informed the World Anti-Doping Agency in Montreal, Canada, of their findings. If the same effect occurs in human bodies, one answer would be to test athletes' blood, rather than urine.

WADA is aiming to add regular checks of blood steroids to its "biological *********", which monitor athletes for suspicious changes in their physiology. That should foil any attempt to fool the urine test, says Olivier Rabin, WADA's science director.

Rabin also doubts that tea alone will have much effect on performance, compared with the big boosts in testosterone seen in doping cases. "It would be fairly modest," he says.

pushiron
04-02-2012, 12:04 PM
What type of green tea do you suggest? Do they make organic? Large quantities of anything nowadays are harmful due to processing or chemicals in food and drinks.

IronFox
04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
If there's blood testing as well then green tea wouldn't work in masking test in blood, am I right?

Camzilla
04-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Your logic is sound Fox, however I'd take it a step further. It stated that the tea may increase test levels secondary to inhibiting excretion in urine. Less out should mean overall higher circulating levels. This would be a red flag I would think. I'm curious as to what my urine will show during my monthly testing now that I'm on rx test. I don't think we do routine, I think the boss has to suspect a cycle and call it in special like.

proxy
04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
In before ryan braun...

IronFox
04-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Your logic is sound Fox, however I'd take it a step further. It stated that the tea may increase test levels secondary to inhibiting excretion in urine. Less out should mean overall higher circulating levels. This would be a red flag I would think. I'm curious as to what my urine will show during my monthly testing now that I'm on rx test. I don't think we do routine, I think the boss has to suspect a cycle and call it in special like.

I'm sure there will be a way to get the excess test out of the system quickly enough if there's blood testing required so that the test level will show as normal on the test results. If you can, try testing your own urine if there are test kits that test for free test that's excreted into urine

VictorZ06
04-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Great thread!! I love my green tea!!

/V

Camzilla
04-03-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm sure there will be a way to get the excess test out of the system quickly enough if there's blood testing required so that the test level will show as normal on the test results. If you can, try testing your own urine if there are test kits that test for free test that's excreted into urine

I don't know about that one Bro. Typically once it's in the blood it's hell to remove. That's why those dialysis folks get paid so well. Never know though, pretty saavy folks out there.

I do like some green tea every now and again though.

IronFox
04-03-2012, 02:19 AM
I don't know about that one Bro. Typically once it's in the blood it's hell to remove. That's why those dialysis folks get paid so well. Never know though, pretty saavy folks out there.

I do like some green tea every now and again though.

Dialysis? wow that's hardcore for sure! I can imagine a bb'er sitting next to an old lady at the dialysis clinic lmao

Camzilla
04-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Whew! And hella expensive as well!

WidowMaker
04-03-2012, 01:11 PM
this is really guess work until actual lab documentaction comes along. cos even though green tea is supposed to be the new supplemental savior over the last 10years. most of it is just remote possibilities cos of it's molecular structure showing possible benefits for different things from weight loss to anti aging. most reports you read on this will state possible and maybes. im not saying it won't help you. just saying it may take more or a stack of other supps to go with it to help boost its potential benefits.

IronFox
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Whew! And hella expensive as well!

Not to mention the eyebrows that would raise. Bet the nurse at the clinic would look pretty funny at a jacked guy wanting to use a dialysis machine!

Camzilla
04-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I've always wondered if a round would help with a hangover.
When I was way younger we used to try out all of the equipment and shit just for kicks. Weekends would roll around and every Sunday morning you would have 2-3 Marines laid out on your bunk with IVs cause they were hurting from a long night. There's a distinct possibility that I may have ran a line in FIST at some point as a young Corpsman lol!

Oh to be young and dangerous again...

morrey50
04-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Another reason to drink green tea everyday

MuscleMind
04-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Great information thank you.

killerdice
08-06-2012, 07:41 PM
I would be very surprised if this is really the case, the doping test they do these days are fairly precise, good read anyway.