PDA

View Full Version : Time off lifting

texman
10-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Should you ever take a one or two week break from lifting? Been at it hard for four months and my body feels a little beat up.

Keltic
10-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Every few months I'll take off 3 days in a row. I havnt taken a full week off in years. You could always scale back your workouts too.

texman
10-24-2018, 04:44 PM
Yea taking two weeks off worries me. It may turn it three months. lol

Keltic
10-24-2018, 06:04 PM
Maybe 5-7 days once a year wouldnt be a bad idea.

Bullcrew
10-24-2018, 09:24 PM
If your crushing it maybe 2 days a week split up....I am considering slowing down a smidge temporarily

SunBorne
10-25-2018, 04:19 AM
Yes. I have taken off more than a few weeks to compete in a different sport. It sucked getting back into lifting, depending on your routine, but it was fantastic for the recovery gains. I think the key is to stay active in a different capacity when you decide to take a break. Don't just sit around doing nothing or you will be hating life for those first couple of weeks back.

Fancycat69
10-25-2018, 09:35 AM
A couple days wouldn’t hurt. Just remember that an off day shouldn’t mean laying around doing nothing. U can still go for a walk, stretch, etc

balin
10-26-2018, 05:02 AM
Pro athletes including many pro BB'ers take time off from their sport at the end of the season. You only grow when you are not working out. Walking the fine line between optimal training and over training is difficult at best. So time off would be quite sensible. After over 40 years of working out I am finding cutting back on volume weight and intensity for a week at a time has me looking and feeling better.

Arose
12-09-2018, 10:14 AM
It is true you need a break. If you have been training for 4 months consistently, your body will feel tired and so a break is recommended to not only help it heal but relax. Recovery is important if you want to help the body to make any meaningful progress. I suggest that you take a week or two weeks off and listen to your body. It is true you need a break. If you have been training for 4 months consistently, your body will feel tired and so a break is recommended to not only help it heal but relax. Recovery is important if you want to help the body to make any meaningful progress. I suggest that you take a week or two weeks off and listen to your body.

maxmuscle1
12-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Maybe try One muscle group a week for 5 days with weekends off (or any two consecutive days off) for 2 months and re-evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivery
12-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Once a week for me. Multiple days only when I do family vacation. And I still jog then.

littleman
12-12-2018, 12:01 AM
I take a week or two off every few months. I play sports so i still have some activity.

overfiddy
12-19-2018, 06:00 PM
Only you know how hard you train. If body is sore, dial back a bit. My days off each week change depending on level of fatigue. Right now Im two on, one off . two on two off. Seems to help recovery for me

Themaskedrider
12-19-2018, 06:40 PM
I don't see anything wrong with taking a week off if needed. The key is to keep lifting and if you need to take time off so that you don't burn out then take it! I've done it and i always come back charged up and ready to get after it again. When you're at if for a long time and it starts to be a grind and like you said your body starts to feel beat up, take a break! I don't see anything wrong with it especially when you're over 40. Shit I have an 11 year old daughter who's knee keeps blowing up from over training soccer. she's fucking 11! time off is a good thing sometimes!

joko123
12-19-2018, 09:13 PM
Should you ever take a one or two week break from lifting? Been at it hard for four months and my body feels a little beat up.

Absofuckinglutely lol bodybuilding is about finding the balance between pushing to stimulate new growth without digging into recovery.

Define or take a week off if you feel you need it , if you feel you need it you probably needed a few weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk