PDA

View Full Version : back injury and lower body question

ZOOT
04-02-2012, 10:30 PM
I wrecked my back a few years ago and have been taking it slow. This past year I have begun to lift heavy again and my question is this....Will I get enough out of using plate loaded squat machine and other machine assisted leg work to be beneficial enough in growth? I know how important deadlifts and squats are, but I just can't do them anymore. I get a good workout on these machines but I just don't want to miss out on the importance of the release of growth hormones from the legs.

exphys88
04-07-2012, 12:07 AM
If you really are going to risk injury by doing squats and deads, then you're doing all that you can. We all agree that squats and deads are the foundation to a strong body, but you can make great gains with machines, especially if your overloading and progressing consistently.
It seems like you don't really have a choice. Have you been told not to do these by a physical therapist?

ZOOT
04-07-2012, 03:06 AM
If you really are going to risk injury by doing squats and deads, then you're doing all that you can. We all agree that squats and deads are the foundation to a strong body, but you can make great gains with machines, especially if your overloading and progressing consistently.
It seems like you don't really have a choice. Have you been told not to do these by a physical therapist?

No. I was told not to lift at all. All the while being pumped with pain killers. Got off that junk and got well enough to lift what I feel I can handle. And I can't handle squats and deads, they just cause pain. Thanks for the reply

exphys88
04-07-2012, 03:10 AM
yeah, if they hurt, don't do them.

IronFox
04-07-2012, 03:48 AM
For back injury you shouldn't pull really heavy as you'll do even more serious damage...so best to do more back exercises to restrengthen your back muscles first

gettinfitt
04-07-2012, 07:32 AM
I have learned that with back injuries or any major injury, machines are your best friends. They isolate the muscles and you aren't putting strain on your whole body.
And then come the core exercises, which lets remember, aren't just the "abs".... Its the erector spinae group, obliques, glutes, etc.... Without core strength, getting off the machines is taking chances for more injury.
And in injury situations start easy and work up. U can always go heavier but if u start too heavy, you can re-injure yourself it's always harder on the body and mind.

ZOOT
04-07-2012, 10:40 AM
I have learned that with back injuries or any major injury, machines are your best friends. They isolate the muscles and you aren't putting strain on your whole body.
And then come the core exercises, which lets remember, aren't just the "abs".... Its the erector spinae group, obliques, glutes, etc.... Without core strength, getting off the machines is taking chances for more injury.
And in injury situations start easy and work up. U can always go heavier but if u start too heavy, you can re-injure yourself it's always harder on the body and mind.

RIGHT ON THE MONEY...When I got back in the gym, I had to restrain myself not to use free weights. The machines got me strong and healthy enough to eventually use them.

lost1
04-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Core strengthening was a big key to getting back to weight training after my back problems, i still squat but not as heavey I have tried deads again but the rest of my weight training is back to normal. I always was told to stay with free weights becuase they strengthening the stablizer muscles and machines dont do as well.

Thehog18
04-08-2012, 04:23 AM
^^^^exactly what i was thinking. Every time i take a long break or inbetween changing up.routes i devote a period of time to core and core only. Try getting it up to speed as much as you can and then you cld possibly get some deads n squats in. I dont know how severe the injury is either. Good luck bro keep us updated