PDA

View Full Version : Are dead lifts really necessary

315 BEAST
04-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Ok guys here we go ....,., I have never done a dead lift in my life am I cheating myself? I have gotten many mixed opinions on this some people tell me I'm crazy for not doing them and others tell me they are not necessary cause u can fuck up your back in the long run. What do u guys think? I'm really interested in all your responses

gettinfitt
04-07-2012, 01:00 AM
IMO the deadlift goes hand in hand with squats.... They test and strengthen ur entire body.
As for injury, they [if done with great form] can prevent most back injuries, which are usually causes of day to day activities [lifting, bending, etc]...
I am all for deadlifts, just make sure u get someone knowledgable to spot you and help you with ur form.

WidowMaker
04-07-2012, 01:15 AM
YES!

ZOOT
04-07-2012, 01:40 AM
I can't do em cause my back is already effed up. But I wish I could

exphys88
04-07-2012, 02:27 AM
They are an incredibly efficient way to strengthen the entire body. My philosophy is that if you only did one exercise in the gym, it should be squats or deads.

315 BEAST
04-07-2012, 03:33 AM
They are an incredibly efficient way to strengthen the entire body. My philosophy is that if you only did one exercise in the gym, it should be squats or deads.

Thinking about fitting them into my routine eventually

Thehog18
04-07-2012, 03:41 AM
Watch some videos online of them. Read about form. Watch ppl at ur gym doing them...they shld be a staple in any routine...seperates the men from the boys.

IronFox
04-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Deads are a major lift and they go hand in hand with squats and bench for overall strength development. It takes care and proper form to do it right, particularly when you are pulling heavy

ShortnWide
04-07-2012, 04:06 AM
IMO
I think it depends on what your goals are. If your looking to be fit - then DLs are not a major priority.
But
If your in to BB or PL then they are a huge part of building a powerful core and wide back.

damage
04-17-2012, 02:41 AM
gotta deadlift. GOTTA.

ajdonutz
04-17-2012, 03:09 AM
I love Deads and haven't had a routine without them in a long time.. but for hypertrophy, ie gaining mass, they aren't a NECESSITY.. if you're powerlifting, they are. Bodybuilding.. not necessarily but they do help. I feel like there is no better exercise for back thickness. Doesn't so much for width bit guarantee your back will be thicker if you incorporate heavy deads

maul
09-02-2012, 03:28 AM
DEFINITELY watch some videos on form. I see way too many guys pulling the bar from a foot in front of their feet, it puts too much stress on your lower back. That being said, nothing beats the feeling after a new dead PR. And if you're just starting them, you'll hit PR's VERY frequently.

PS don't let the back soreness the next day scare you, keep it up! LOL

maul
09-02-2012, 03:29 AM
I love Deads and haven't had a routine without them in a long time.. but for hypertrophy, ie gaining mass, they aren't a NECESSITY.. if you're powerlifting, they are. Bodybuilding.. not necessarily but they do help. I feel like there is no better exercise for back thickness. Doesn't so much for width bit guarantee your back will be thicker if you incorporate heavy deads
I've heard Reeves Deads (gripping the plates, not the bar) are great for width but doesn't make sense to me. Too damn awkward anyways haha

Thunder46
09-02-2012, 10:13 AM
bullshit I have not did deads in years cause of degenerative disc and have won many shows it all depends on what your goals are

metromuscle
09-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Deadlifts & Squats r definitely important for size and strength in my case; again some folks don't wanna bother with with work of setting it all up; loading and unloading etc., and not to forget there are some gyms that won't let you do them. But if you can use the proper equipment: belt (of course), the right kind of shoes (some do deads without shoes, I don't), gotta wear shorts not sweats (c'mon), chalk for the grip and talc powder to help the bar slide up the quads (again hopefully the gym will let you use it), and the proper form--you'd be surprised at the results. Don't forget which stance might suit you best, the sumo, which is the wide stance; or the narrow stance. Seems it depends on the person as to which is better with one or the other. I have never regretted doing deads, I hated them at first (like squats) now it's my best lift.

dye1337
10-12-2012, 01:12 AM
I think deadlifts are great for strength, but this isn't powerlifting this is bodybuilding. Bent over longbar rows have always worked better for adding thickness for me

flyingfox272
10-21-2012, 12:51 PM
If I didn't have a herniated disc they would be a core exercize for me.

Camzilla
10-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Love 'em!

Jt79zxt
10-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Have to agree with most of you .. Dead lifts really help the overall development of the back ...

moreweight
11-09-2012, 05:58 PM
That's why you do them so your back doesn't get effed up, proper form and the right routine you'll have a strong back and hummys