PDA

View Full Version : Getting frustrated

Camzilla
04-07-2012, 04:17 PM
It seems that no matter what I do I can increase my bench press. This has been a long term thing and is beginning to mess with my head. Even back in high school, I could increase DL, squats, curls, everything except bench. I've tried low weight high rep for a couple of weeks, I've tried heavy low rep for a couple of weeks, but still sitting around a pr of 165. All my other major muscle groups have increased consistently, except this one. I don't know what to do and need advice Brothers. What can I do to get stronger on this exercise?

dtob
04-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I have had similar issue and find using smith machine helps
What i do is set the bar at the bottom of the bench ie chest level and the
Load it up with my max bench weight and press it up from the bottom
And the dock it at the top i then strip the weight off put bar back at bottom and add 2.5 or 5
Then press it up unload bar and again add more weight
I know it sounds weird but it works for me and others ive shown it to

315 BEAST
04-07-2012, 05:16 PM
When ever I plateu on the bench I stop for about 3/4 weeks and just do heavy dumbbells

Camzilla
04-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I have aversion to the SM, but your thoughts are interesting. I think I'll try the dumbbell only routine for a few weeks and see where that lands me. Thanks again.

bufbiker
04-08-2012, 07:45 PM
For me if your flat bench has plateaued out then you work the supporting muscle groups.
Shoulders and triceps play such a significant role in bench that if you don't train them with intensity then your bench will suffer.
Another problem I see guys have at the gym is they are over training big time.
When I do bench I warm up then do no more than 5 working sets, then hit inclines for 3-5 sets depending upon how my shoulders fell and that is it.
I hit shoulders on their own day and triceps on their own day.
That way you are hitting each supporting muscle group while fresh, not already drained, and you can go heavier on them.
Heavy shoulders and triceps equals heavier bench press.
And I've got the trophies and medlas to back it up.

BIGBOSS
04-09-2012, 01:18 AM
I would switched to Flat Bench Dumbells for a few weeks then come back to the bar. For me by switching every now and then to Dumbells help me get my
Bench weight up there. I am know Benching 375 finally and doing 3 to 4 sets of 10 with 120 lb dumbells. It took a minute but with hard work and dedication
the goal was achieved. Hope to hear about the increase soon bro!!!

pushiron
04-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Try dumbbells flyes, or cable flyes.

telmon1
04-09-2012, 01:34 AM
I def agree with the move to db's. I would also concentrate on a solid triceps strength program and don't leave out close grip bench. Also, flat bench negatives with a lot of weight.

WidowMaker
04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
CAM!
Hit me up in a pm and I'l fix your problem for you!

WidowMaker
04-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I def agree with the move to db's. I would also concentrate on a solid triceps strength program and don't leave out close grip bench. Also, flat bench negatives with a lot of weight.

close-grip benching and floor presses are an essential part of any triceps strength program as well.as skull crushers and states presses.

2nd2no1
04-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Great post & great info

ODB
04-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Cam u also need to have a serious look @ ur technique their could be a flaw or weakness.
I had trouble in my younger days, I was a big one, but my bench was always week. I had someone look @ my technique and I was using my arms much too much, I tore apart my bench a started over now the sky is the limit.
One small flaw can do it.

I also love close-grip bench like telmon1 then Widow-maker suggested.

telmon1
04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
I also love close-grip bench like Widow-maker suggested.
Hey ODB.....I suggested the close grip bench! LOL

Camzilla
04-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Ok today was chest so I did dumbbell incline, db flat, cable flyes, and dips. I owe WM some homework. I freakin' tired of this so there is a high level of commitment on my part to beat this plateau.

*Mark the time, I'm gonna get bigger than Tel!

telmon1
04-09-2012, 09:55 PM
*Mark the time, I'm gonna get bigger than Tel!
Lol...I haven't done barbell benches in over 2 years. It's all db work for me.

ShortnWide
04-10-2012, 03:09 AM
I love DB's for many of my routines
To get big-one has to go heavy and hit max weight/rep
And that's hard to do with BB's by your self at the gym
But with DB's one can hit their limits and not need a partner

315 BEAST
04-10-2012, 03:18 AM
I love DB's for many of my routines
To get big-one has to go heavy and hit max weight/rep
And that's hard to do with BB's by your self at the gym
But with DB's one can hit their limits and not need a partner

Absolutely I probably only bench once a month it's all dumbbells for me but it's unfortunate my gyms largest dumbbells are only 110

bigkarch
04-11-2012, 05:07 AM
dumbells definantely....also keep up heavy squats and deads....also dont forget genetics play a big part of our limits...I have always wanted a 500 lb bench..even on juice, I havent been able to achieve that..now at 43, I dont think I will...secondary/supporting muscles..such as said above, close grip, presses for your back and shoulders...IMO cables, flies and the such never worked for me....not at increasing my strenght much...I also like negatives, but get a good spotter and becareful, easy to overtrain and tear muscle

Camzilla
04-11-2012, 01:53 PM
I appreciate everyones thoughts and exp on this issue. WM is crafting up a plan for me to start on and I'm anxious to do so. Like I said before I have a high level of commitment to breaking thru on this so it's gonna be balls out to do it. It's def looking like the db is out and the BB is in for max progress.
I'm freakin' psyched to move on!

Jpotch
04-11-2012, 02:00 PM
When ever I plateu on the bench I stop for about 3/4 weeks and just do heavy dumbbells

dumbells for 3 months straight has always worked for me as well

mth496
04-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Keep at it bro. Some genetics are like that in certain people. I am the same way.

WidowMaker
04-14-2012, 01:05 AM
ok peeps genetics does play a role in a lot of things in life but we have one leg female dead liters and one arm bench pressers in competitions right now. so quit crying over the genetics card. im a small boned mutha fucker and i squatted 725 RAW in competition. everything training wise I've backed up over the years with pics vids and a fear this mutha fucker attitude! WHY? Cos i told myself years ago that i was gonna be the strongest/meanest s.o.b. i could possibly be. Cos i got tired of getting the hell beat outta me cos my x step dad had a bad day! I even went into the 82nd airborne and they told me i was too small but i did it anyways!!! So, Fuck genetics and don't be fucking skeered to load the fucking bar. I really with was some of yous guys training partner cos i'd have you so jacked and pissed off by the time you got out in the gym you'd be throwing 45's every where. PUSSY!

gettinfitt
04-14-2012, 07:29 AM
It seems that no matter what I do I can increase my bench press. This has been a long term thing and is beginning to mess with my head. Even back in high school, I could increase DL, squats, curls, everything except bench. I've tried low weight high rep for a couple of weeks, I've tried heavy low rep for a couple of weeks, but still sitting around a pr of 165. All my other major muscle groups have increased consistently, except this one. I don't know what to do and need advice Brothers. What can I do to get stronger on this exercise?

So, a few great points have been made DB, Switching up ur routine and whatnot... Try having a spotter, one that's a good spotter tho, that's gonna pump u up along with ur music... And also making sure that u are hitting the right muscle groups (by palpating, to trigger the larger muscles as opposed to compensating with smaller muscle groups... Dropsets (with a spotter or course)...

But do me a favor, read ur initial post. What do u see? Negativity is what I see. In the world of sports, mind rules all. If you are negative and go into ur routine thinking that way, bottom line, ur thoughts are going win. Ive totally been there before. You gotta have ur head in the game and go balls to the wall.

Hope that helped... :)

exphys88
04-14-2012, 07:43 AM
I second the suggestion to work the tri's and use more db's for a while. I also seem to do well when I incorporate rest/pauses, forced sets and drop sets. I train alone, so these require machines, but they still work good for me.

Camzilla
04-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Again folks, I really appreciate everyone giving their opinions. That's what makes BOP the quality place it is. FIT- you're right, I was down when I wrote it. Truth is I was fucking waaaay down. I totally get what your saying, makes perfect sense. Not gonna apologize though. Got too big of an ego for that. I was having a tough time and my head wasn't in the game, you called me on it, and I appreciate the gut check.
As I said earlier, Widow has my full undivided attention on this for the next 12 weeks. I have mad respect for him, and will be halting all training that does not come directly from him. I'm AD and he's prior so there is pretty fucking high level of determination here as I ain't never let one of my boys down, and I ain't fixin to start.
12 weeks from now I'm rolling back on deck to my last operational tour, and I fully intend on being the baddest SOB on deck.

gettinfitt
04-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Again folks, I really appreciate everyone giving their opinions. That's what makes BOP the quality place it is. FIT- you're right, I was down when I wrote it. Truth is I was fucking waaaay down. I totally get what your saying, makes perfect sense. Not gonna apologize though. Got too big of an ego for that. I was having a tough time and my head wasn't in the game, you called me on it, and I appreciate the gut check.
As I said earlier, Widow has my full undivided attention on this for the next 12 weeks. I have mad respect for him, and will be halting all training that does not come directly from him. I'm AD and he's prior so there is pretty fucking high level of determination here as I ain't never let one of my boys down, and I ain't fixin to start.
12 weeks from now I'm rolling back on deck to my last operational tour, and I fully intend on being the baddest SOB on deck.

^^that is what I like to hear! I didn't mean for it to be a jab, I want u to know. But as a personal trainer, I have to do that to clients and even Lucky has to tell me to STFU and put my big girl pants [metaphorically speaking] on and get'r done. [he would never say get'r done, too country for him.... But something to that effect, ha!]

Getting into funks happens. I totally understand. Been there tons of times. It's how many time u r able to pick yourself up that matters.

We are all here for u bro... Listen to your body, take care of yourself and GET SHIT DONE! Unleash the beast.... :)

gettinfitt
04-14-2012, 10:35 PM
And don't worry, i dont expect an apology. Cuz Those words rarely come out of my mouth. Fuck that nonsense.

Just get shit done. The GDL team is here for ya bro. ;o)

bufbiker
04-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Today I hit 505 for 5 reps and 565 for 1. Try what I said.

Camzilla
04-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Haha! I can't do shit right now. Widow set me up and today was the first go with his chest routine. I'm sucking hind tit right now lol. Fuckin Tate presses stomped my ass. I'm G2G though, no whining here. Ready to get back and do it again in a few days.
Relax though folks, there's plenty of db work in there hehe.

Rmewrench
04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
go find a 400LB fat girl.. lay down and tell her to try to sit on your face... I bet you'll be benching 400lbs in no time!!!!

Patriot1405
04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Lmfao!!! Dude I'm fuckin crying!!!

Rmewrench
04-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Lmfao!!! Dude I'm fuckin crying!!!
sorry.. everyone else had it covered.. just thought this would help.....lmao...

LexLuger
07-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Looks like i need to hit some dumbells up myself too.lol
great stuff!

LexLuger
07-08-2012, 05:01 AM
go find a 400LB fat girl.. lay down and tell her to try to sit on your face... I bet you'll be benching 400lbs in no time!!!!haaHa.lmAo!!

PAiN
07-10-2012, 04:14 AM
Lol...I haven't done barbell benches in over 2 years. It's all db work for me.

Same for me brother. DB's is where it's at for size. That and eating like an animal lol.

PAiN
07-10-2012, 04:15 AM
go find a 400LB fat girl.. lay down and tell her to try to sit on your face... I bet you'll be benching 400lbs in no time!!!!

BWAHAHAHA LMFAO!!!!

Super2man
07-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Cam, Can you post up some information on your actual workout routine. I was stagnant at bench for an entire year until I ripped my routine apart I found it it was due to deadlifting before bench day. My delts and tri's would be to exhausted to have a successful bench the next day. Also have you tried doing any DE work, single working sets of heavy triple/heavy double. And do you rep out any weights after going heavy to work your tendons. Would love to help if you give me some more info!

metromuscle
07-19-2012, 12:10 PM
You didn't mention, have you been using a bench shirt; or are you raw? Also what always seems to help is the use of boards; although obviously you can't bench with the boards without someone helping you. When I "stagnated" on my bench I went to the use of boards, both raw and then putting the shirt on (in getting ready for a meet). Also wrist wraps are a God send, there are so many varieties out there.

bugse2342
07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I would switched to Flat Bench Dumbells for a few weeks then come back to the bar. For me by switching every now and then to Dumbells help me get my
Bench weight up there. I am know Benching 375 finally and doing 3 to 4 sets of 10 with 120 lb dumbells. It took a minute but with hard work and dedication
the goal was achieved. Hope to hear about the increase soon bro!!!

I have to agree with this. It your get stuck it means your body has adapted to it, just like everything you do in life. Change it up for about 8-10 weeks then go back at. Cycle you workouts like you would cycle your "cycles"

graniteman
07-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Sometimes it's as simple as overtraining or form , I alays go back to basics when I hit a wall. This is the site that's a monster of archives from the greats http://www.deepsquatter.com I just go back over details n form, maybe switch up the routine? jus my 2 cent

metromuscle
07-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Seems like in Powerlifting, of the three exercises there's the one we're always the best at. I have the same problem with my squat which takes forever to make progress on; yet my bench and deadlift hang in there, with my deads the best for me.

deathdodger
07-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Try the 5x5 program to help increase your bench press.

Crogam55
08-28-2012, 03:29 AM
Love this board!!! Great info brothers! Def going to add some of this ecerxises on my workouts.

Johnnyboy004
08-28-2012, 11:04 PM
For me if your flat bench has plateaued out then you work the supporting muscle groups.
Shoulders and triceps play such a significant role in bench that if you don't train them with intensity then your bench will suffer.
Another problem I see guys have at the gym is they are over training big time.
When I do bench I warm up then do no more than 5 working sets, then hit inclines for 3-5 sets depending upon how my shoulders fell and that is it.
I hit shoulders on their own day and triceps on their own day.
That way you are hitting each supporting muscle group while fresh, not already drained, and you can go heavier on them.
Heavy shoulders and triceps equals heavier bench press.
And I've got the trophies and medlas to back it up.

Great advice.

martialartsman
10-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Good advice here

vw4334
10-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Using 1-5 reps and rest intervals helps

IRONNMANN
10-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Using your max weight with low reps helps !

Dath
10-29-2012, 04:31 PM
I have to agree with this. It your get stuck it means your body has adapted to it, just like everything you do in life. Change it up for about 8-10 weeks then go back at. Cycle you workouts like you would cycle your "cycles"

An absolute must right here.

vw4334
10-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Bands, chains, and accessory work

Camzilla
10-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Hahaha! Guys I
Appreciate your help, but I was struggling back in the spring. Ive been able to work through it (mainly by doing the things your all mentioning).

I now change my workouts in the first of eery month. Working so far.

Thanks gents!

vw4334
10-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Keep it up

paulthebodybuilder
10-31-2012, 09:15 PM
yea the dumbells help out alot !