PDA

View Full Version : Question about back

maul
04-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Although it's not one of my main weak points, I'm trying to bring up my back a bit and have decided to hit it twice a week. My question is would it be appropriate to split up my normal routine (various rows/pulldowns, 5x5 deads) into two separate workouts? For one day I'd perform weighted pull ups and pulldowns, and on the other back day of that week I'd do my deads and rows. Good idea, bad idea? Any other suggestions? What has worked best for those of you who have those wide ass lats? Thanks bros

maul

MuscleMind
04-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Whatever works for you is whats best.

ajdonutz
04-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Whatever works for you is whats best.

This... try it for a while and see how it goes. As long as you're incorporating main lifts ie Deads bent over rows pull ups pull downs and adding others that work for you then you'll just have to mess around and see what makes you grow..

inhiding
04-15-2012, 02:43 AM
As far as split/frequency you have to find out what works best for you.

Outside of that though, my back didnt get bigger until I started using wrist straps. I know it sounds simple but I think its one of those things a lot of guys over look. A lot of guys don't use them because they thinks it kind of cheating or something. But it's smart training! Your back/lats are way stronger than your grip strength. Straps are also going to allow you to focus more on your back/lats instead of wasting all your energy trying to hold the weight. Just my two cents...

GD
04-15-2012, 02:47 AM
As far as split/frequency you have to find out what works best for you.

Outside of that though, my back didnt get bigger until I started using wrist straps. I know it sounds simple but I think its one of those things a lot of guys over look. A lot of guys don't use them because they thinks it kind of cheating or something. But it's smart training! Your back/lats are way stronger than your grip strength. Straps are also going to allow you to focus more on your back/lats instead of wasting all your energy trying to hold the weight. Just my two cents...

i agree 100%

Patriot1405
04-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I also agree, I use "haulin hooks" and am able to lift much more weight than with grip strength alone.

WidowMaker
04-15-2012, 09:42 PM
bump for haulin hooks!!!! i use them on almost all pulling exercises but deads. and only after my grip fails.

exphys88
04-16-2012, 12:28 AM
I completely agree on the straps. I have not heard of haulin hooks, I'll have to check them out. thanks