PDA

View Full Version : Bananas are as beneficial as sports drinks, study suggests

milleniumgirl
06-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Bananas have long been a favorite source of energy for endurance and recreational athletes. Bananas are a rich source of potassium and other nutrients, and are easy for cyclists, runners or hikers to carry.

Research conducted at Appalachian State University's Human Performance Lab in the Kannapolis-based North Carolina Research Campus (NCRC) has revealed additional benefits.
"We wanted to see which was more beneficial when consumed during intense cycling -- bananas or a carbohydrate sports drink," said Dr. David C. Nieman, director of the human performance lab and a member of the College of Health Sciences faculty at Appalachian.
"We found that not only was performance the same whether bananas or sports drinks were consumed, there were several advantages to consuming bananas," he said.
The bananas provided the cyclists with antioxidants not found in sports drinks as well as a greater nutritional boost, including fiber, potassium and Vitamin B6, the study showed. In addition, bananas have a healthier blend of sugars than sports drinks.
The study, funded by Dole Foods, has been published in the peer-reviewed online journal PLoS ONE published by the nonprofit Public Library of Science.
For the study, trained cyclists consumed either a cup of carbohydrate drink or half a banana every 15 minutes during a 75-kilometer simulated road race lasting 2.5 to 3 hours. Blood samples taken from the cyclists before and after the exercise were analyzed at the NCRC Metabolomics Laboratory for more than 100 metabolites -- molecules associated with metabolism.
"Bananas come prepackaged with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants," said Nieman, adding the research translates to any exercise.
"The mode of exercise is not the issue. I think there are a lot of athletes who don't like the thought of drinking carbohydrate sports drinks, which are essentially flavored sugar water," he said. "This type of research shows that you can have healthier carbohydrate sources before and after exercise that will support athletic performance just as well as a sports drink," Nieman said.

[Science Daily]

ZOOT
06-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Thanx MG

IronFox
06-03-2012, 02:38 AM
Banana protein smoothies are my favorite drinks for the gym and adding oatmeal to the mix its even better

exphys88
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
real food is almost always going to be superior.

sensitivenips
06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
real food is almost always going to be superior.

im going to have to disagree, real food is ALWAYS going to be superior. great post, bananas post workout is the way to go, and banana oatmeal smoothies are the freakin bomb. try one step extra by throwing in peanut butter with that smoothie, oooohhh man thats the shit right there.

exphys88
06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
im going to have to disagree, real food is ALWAYS going to be superior. great post, bananas post workout is the way to go, and banana oatmeal smoothies are the freakin bomb. try one step extra by throwing in peanut butter with that smoothie, oooohhh man thats the shit right there.

I tried to choose my words carefully. I do agree that from a health standpoint, real food is always better. But, I use cytomax on long climbs and it does wonders for my endurance that regular food won't.

PAiN
06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Great post. Bananas are always on my grocery list.

Spawn
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Nice post MG.

bang
06-16-2012, 08:13 PM
real food is almost always going to be superior....If u mean bananas that are "Tree Ripe" then I emphatically agree. If you mean bananas that we buy from the store then I disagree!!! Bananas that are shipped are picked long before they are ripened, it means that they are significantly deficient in nutrients. Compound that by hanging around in stores under flouresent lights and they loose even more nutrients. Don't get me wrong, you will get some nutrients from a banana bought in the store but it will be miniscule compared to those that are tree ripened.

Mountain Monster
06-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Great post MG! I USE A BANANA POST WORKOUT VERY OFTEN WITH A PROTIEN SHAKE TO SPEED UP RECOVERY!

exphys88
06-18-2012, 04:59 PM
...If u mean bananas that are "Tree Ripe" then I emphatically agree. If you mean bananas that we buy from the store then I disagree!!! Bananas that are shipped are picked long before they are ripened, it means that they are significantly deficient in nutrients. Compound that by hanging around in stores under flouresent lights and they loose even more nutrients. Don't get me wrong, you will get some nutrients from a banana bought in the store but it will be miniscule compared to those that are tree ripened.

whereas I agree that I'd prefer to have bananas that are organic and not made to ripen with chemicals, can you provide the info convinced you that bananas from the store actually contain less nutrients?

vibrant
06-22-2012, 03:03 AM
I always eat banana's during my sport competitions.