PDA

View Full Version : Is your workout drink packing on pounds?

milleniumgirl
06-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Is your workout drink packing on pounds? Fill in the blank: “My favorite drink when I exercise is__________.” If the answer’s not plain old H2O, your hydration plan may need a revamp. Many trendy, “functional” drinks claim to help your health, but with the sugar and extra calories in some bottles, you could actually be doing the opposite. Before you take another swig, read our take on what to sip and what to skip. And if you want to give your diet and workout some extra oomph, sign up for our free Drop 10 diet (Self.com/drop10) and you’ll be bikini-ready in just 5 weeks.

SPORTS DRINKS

What are they? Sports sips replenish sodium and potassium, electrolytes we sweat out during exercise, to help muscles contract properly. They also supply simple carbs in the form of sugar to fuel muscles during a workout, says sports dietitian Jenna Bell, R.D.
Do you need one? Only if you’re breaking a serious sweat. They’re designed for people exercising more than an hour at a high intensity. If that’s not you, guzzling one could cancel out your calorie burn at the gym and add unnecessary sugar to your diet.
Buyer’s guide Opt for one with 50 to 70 calories, up to 19 grams carbs and at least 100 milligrams sodium per 8 ounces for the best muscle-recovery results. Gatorade G-Series 02 Perform and Powerade Ion4 fit the bill.

FITNESS WATERS

What are they? Think of them as sports drinks light. They’re lower in calories (many have none), and some deliver electrolytes, but they don’t contain enough carbs to truly aid in muscle recovery.
Do you need one? These are good pours for a moderate-intensity 45-minute workout. And people drink more water if it’s flavored, so HO haters may prefer them, says sports dietitian Lauren Antonucci, R.D. But the free stuff from a fountain hydrates equally well.
Buyer’s guide Scan shelves for zero-calorie options. Choose one with 80 to 100 mg sodium per 8 oz, such as Propel Zero, for midworkout; for when you’re not exercising, opt for a lower-sodium sip, like Activate Charged.

VITAMIN WATERS

What are they? These flavored waters supply added vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A, B, C and E. Some brands promise perks associated with the nutrients, including extra energy, mental clarity and an immunity boost.
Do you need one? Not really, but if you like them, go for it. But know that they won’t drastically change your health, Bell says. Your body absorbs vitamins best from food, so if you’re short on vitamin C, for instance, an orange (98 mg of C) is a better bet.
Buyer’s guide To limit liquid calories, nab a no-calorie variety, like Vitaminwater Zero or Skinny Water Total-V. To avoid a potentially risky vitamin overload, steer clear of sips with nutrients you get enough of in your diet.

FLAVORED WATERS

What are they? Agua with a little natural-flavor oomph: They’re infused with ingredients such as berries, citrus fruit, cucumbers and mint, so they offer a hint of taste without piling on calories or artificial ingredients.
Do you need one? These are a healthful and convenient alternative to plain water for on-the-go guzzlers. But if you’re trying to save cash or go green, skip the bottle and enhance your tap water: Add fresh lime juice or a mint sprig, and voilà!
Buyer’s guide Look for a short ingredients list: only water and natural flavors. Also, eliminate anything with calories; Hint Water and Metromint are good gulps. Enjoy the true liquid assets!

[Source: SELF]

PAiN
06-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Great write up MG. Thanks for sharing.

vibrant
06-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Good post.

For light workouts I drink water. for competitions or intense workouts, I sort of make my own sport drink. Also sometimes use cytomax.