PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift

crossfire
02-13-2019, 07:42 PM
It's been a good while since I have done deads and today wasnt feeling higher rep deadlift so went for 1 rep conventional. Stopped at 405 no straps, no chalk and belt less. First attempt felt my grip giving and mentally gave up but got it on the second attempt.Not a bad starting point, I. Just under 200lbs at the moment. Definitely need to work on grip strength. Not a killer lift at my body weight but I feel its respectable starting point. Any suggestions on program's to work as "power building" type of protocol?

doomer39er
02-15-2019, 11:28 PM
It's been a good while since I have done deads and today wasnt feeling higher rep deadlift so went for 1 rep conventional. Stopped at 405 no straps, no chalk and belt less. First attempt felt my grip giving and mentally gave up but got it on the second attempt.Not a bad starting point, I. Just under 200lbs at the moment. Definitely need to work on grip strength. Not a killer lift at my body weight but I feel its respectable starting point. Any suggestions on program's to work as "power building" type of protocol?

If your grip is weak STOP training with straps. Only time i'll use straps is for bb rows and rdls. I've found that just doing deads and heavy db rows have been good enough for me.

cookiemonster
02-16-2019, 04:29 PM
Loaded carries, with a trap bar or farmers bars, dumbells or pinch gripping the heaviest plates you can handle and taking them for a walk one in each hand

crossfire
02-17-2019, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the pointers.

Biggaintime
02-23-2019, 07:43 PM
No straps
Or
Swing a hammer for 40 hours a week

Woods
02-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Farmers walk helps

Jackman96
03-01-2019, 07:51 PM
https://www.muscle-massochist.com/e-books/

Do the “PROM” deadlift program.
Best thing I ever did for my deadlift. Brought it up 90lbs in like 4 months no joke.

Pair this with a solid steroid cycle and you’ll blow that deadlift through the roof as well as pack on massive back size and thickness.

Since running this program my back has become my strongest most devolaped body part and I’ll continue to train this way.

Be prepared it’s hard as fuck and I wouldn’t reccomend doing much or any heavy squatting work alongside it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shredder
07-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Do you pull over under or hookgrip? Nothing builds a nice healthy imbalance like over under. My athletes use straps for anything over 5s.

My athletes also have 1 thing in common healthy serratus.

Solid advice though deadlifts (3-5) and rows. Also im big on single hand farmers walks. Nothing builds bracing ability and true core strength like anti rotational/anti flexion work. If these don't develop grip nothing will. Also dont be afraid to use chalk even if liquid and factor in the honest quality of equipment if you are at say anytime fitness where i cant grip 200kg hookgrip or using a Texas bar where iv done 10 second hook holds at 275... these things are not to be taken lightly

Shredder
07-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Loaded carries, with a trap bar or farmers bars, dumbells or pinch gripping the heaviest plates you can handle and taking them for a walk one in each hand
Respect

hamsy523
07-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Are you competing or plan on competing in a raw competition, If not then why not strap up? I mean for training purposes straps is the way to go because your hands will never be able to keep up with what your body can pull, well not for more than one or two reps. And as far as safety goes, wraps allow you to pull heavy as your want with a over and over grip vs the over under or also known as the reverse grip which causes bicep tears in guys deadlifting. Trust me I had a small distal tear about 2 years ago and I have never pulled raw reverse grip since, and now I realize how lucky I was it wasn’t a full tear.

Shredder
07-09-2019, 08:01 PM
Are you competing or plan on competing in a raw competition, If not then why not strap up? I mean for training purposes straps is the way to go because your hands will never be able to keep up with what your body can pull, well not for more than one or two reps. And as far as safety goes, wraps allow you to pull heavy as your want with a over and over grip vs the over under or also known as the reverse grip which causes bicep tears in guys deadlifting. Trust me I had a small distal tear about 2 years ago and I have never pulled raw reverse grip since, and now I realize how lucky I was it wasn’t a full tear.

Amen to bicep tears

Bigdaddyperk
07-09-2019, 08:05 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkStraps are a must... Sooo much more comfortable...even with lighter weight... enables you to concentrate more on the muscle you're working rather than your grip strength trying to hold on to the bar.... personally on Dead's if you're not using straps I think it's just a show-off dropping the weight on the ground so everyone can hear lol...which i dont do...i hold it through the whole set slow up slow down...course i dont go more then 405 these days...and usually no more then 315...but im always strapped its a must

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

maxmuscle1
07-09-2019, 08:15 PM

Using dumbbells for deadlifting and shrugs help build my hand strength and grip. After a while your strength can out grow your hand grip and you need to switch to straps. Cheap ole straps work!

Max

Shredder
07-09-2019, 09:52 PM
Or i mean, sack up and use hooks

Thumbs lose feeling eventually brothers

Bigdaddyperk
07-09-2019, 10:02 PM
Or i mean, sack up and use hooks

Thumbs lose feeling eventually brothersI love hooks aint seem em around in years they my fave for dumbell trapps

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

maxmuscle1
07-09-2019, 10:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190709/039410183f6721a63f2608963931ab6f.jpgThese actually come in handy for certain big lifts!

Max

hamsy523
07-09-2019, 10:41 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190709/039410183f6721a63f2608963931ab6f.jpgThese actually come in handy for certain big lifts!

Max

I have the same exact ones I have my clients wear for pull-ups

hamsy523
07-09-2019, 10:43 PM
If you have never used figure 8 straps your missing out. Great for deads.

Shredder
07-09-2019, 10:43 PM
Not what i meant ��

maxmuscle1
07-09-2019, 11:36 PM
I have the same exact ones I have my clients wear for pull-ups

They work! It’s always nice to have extra things to push u past your goals!

Max

thebear
07-10-2019, 12:10 AM

Max

Come one. Definitely no. If you can grip it and lift it, then you shouldn’t snd need to work on grip and post chain strength.

I am a part time Proctologist and full time Gynecologist.

maxmuscle1
07-10-2019, 12:29 AM
Come one. Definitely no. If you can grip it and lift it, then you shouldn’t snd need to work on grip and post chain strength.

I completely understand your POV. This is just a recommendation for people who have out grown their own personal hand strength or are competitive level.

Max

hamsy523
07-10-2019, 04:59 AM

Not everyone can work on grip strength due injuries or whatever. Nowadays I’m unable to hold more than 315 but I can still pull over 500 easily. Grip strength is definitely a plus but not necessary.

Shawn4425
07-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Just a side thought to this conversation. I'm not a bodybuilder though now I'm trying to build my body. The deadlift was my best lift til my motorcycle accident. Straps helped me get my 1rm up for sure. However it took me a while to understand how to use them properly. I had a tendency while using straps to not squeeze the hell out of the bar while repping. I started getting tendinitis in my elbows. The harder you squeeze that bar the more information your body gets back from the bar. This helps ignite some of the smaller muscles that will protect those elbows.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Alterspanic132
07-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Swing a hammer for 40 hours a week

jackofspades
07-22-2019, 01:00 PM
If you’re really looking for more info on powerlifting, you should watch the Juggernaut Training Systems videos on YouTube. I really like them a lot. And they really know their sh*t. They also get into a bit of information for conventional bodybuilding stuff, but mainly their focus in on powerbuilding.

bulldogger
03-11-2020, 03:20 AM
I hate when my damn grip gives. I use straps but they seem like they are maybe a tad small so i might try to find some longer ones and I love the deadlift is is one of those practical lifts that come in handy other places and real world application

Shawn4425
03-11-2020, 04:13 AM
I hate when my damn grip gives. I use straps but they seem like they are maybe a tad small so i might try to find some longer ones and I love the deadlift is is one of those practical lifts that come in handy other places and real world applicationWow I forgot this thread existed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bulklife
04-12-2020, 05:42 AM
all i have been able to do during our lockdown period is barbell work. my grip strength has been holding back my bigger lifts, ive just ordered figure8 straps and im sure they will be great assistance because eddie hall used them in his 500kg deadlift record. infact, all the elite world strongman deadlifts allow for straps, suits, belts.

if we need assistance, use the tools that allow the strongest people in the world to deadlift the crazy weights they pull.