PDA

View Full Version : Curious that guys that compete on training abs

animal23
04-02-2019, 06:38 AM
Do you guys train obliques? I believe most will say it will ruin your v-taper, so they don't train them. Curious why or why don't you train them

Bodyduty
04-02-2019, 08:31 AM
I never had a problem with thickening my waist and I trained them together with abs a couple times a week. Side bends with light weight and trunk twists with a broomstick while leaning back slightly are what I mainly used as exercises. As bodybuilders you want them developed but not overly so. If you're an weight lifter then going heavy would be better as it makes for a stronger core which enables you to move more weight in the big three. But going heavy WILL thicken up the waist so stick with the light weight and high reps with hard contractions and you should be fine. And of course, having a good wide back will give the appearance of a smaller waist.

Ain't bodybuilding a bitch. Always more to do, never less, as the years go by. But hey, that's why there aren't many of us around!

maxmuscle1
04-02-2019, 09:41 AM
So untrue! Abs and core work should be incorporated. Especially for young guys. Just an opinion.

Max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

animal23
04-02-2019, 10:00 AM
So untrue! Abs and core work should be incorporated. Especially for young guys. Just an opinion.

Max

Elaborate man

maxmuscle1
04-02-2019, 10:13 AM
IME ab, obliques and serratus make a huge difference on stage and for photo shoots. I train them 2x per week . One day heavy, low rep. One day light, high rep. I dont not recommend side bends. Hanging crunches and leg raises bring out a lot of detail(like a Greek statue) lol. Low body fat is key to actually SEE the hard work. How a persons ab muscles are aligned is genetic but I rarely get injured because my abs and core and low back are
very strong(from doing various ab exercises). A muscular, ripped core is key IMO. I just hate when blanket statements are made. And yes some people are born with great abs, like TJ HOBAN, who Ive worked out with many times.

Max

animal23
04-02-2019, 10:35 AM
IME ab, obliques and serratus make a huge difference on stage and for photo shoots. I train them 2x per week . One day heavy, low rep. One day light, high rep. I don’t not recommend side bends. Hanging crunches and leg raises bring out a lot of detail(like a Greek statue) lol. Low body fat is key to actually SEE the hard work. How a persons ab muscles are aligned is genetic but I rarely get injured because my abs and core and low back are
very strong(from doing various ab exercises). A muscular, ripped core is key IMO. I just hate when blanket statements are made. And yes some people are born with great abs, like TJ HOBAN, who I’ve worked out with many times.

Max

My question is to train obliques or not lol

JJ14
04-02-2019, 10:44 AM
My question is to train obliques or not lolIt depends how your frame is cause some guys have to work harder than others. Leg lifts are my favorite. I know people that dont train abs at all and have great abs cause the diet is on point and they do tons of squats and deadlifts. Try to train abs and see how it goes but I would incorporate some sort of ab training.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

maxmuscle1
04-02-2019, 10:44 AM
My question is to train obliques or not lol

Most definitely. I dont usually add weight for obliques and serratus. I do use weight on rope crunches on the tricep pushdown machine. The trick is to face forward and just angle your knees to the side(keep your upper body facing machine) I also like sideways jack knives, V-ups, but my bread and butter is hanging serratus crunches, hanging crunches. I used arm supports until my technique was down pat. I try to never start swinging(momentum). Nice and slow. I do like broom twists.

animal23
04-02-2019, 10:54 AM
Most definitely. I don’t usually add weight for obliques and serratus. I do use weight on rope crunches on the tricep pushdown machine. The trick is to face forward and just angle your knees to the side(keep your upper body facing machine) I also like sideways jack knives, V-ups, but my bread and butter is hanging serratus crunches, hanging crunches. I used arm supports until my technique was down pat. I try to never start swinging(momentum). Nice and slow. I do like broom twists.

So just regular ropecrunches? ? What do you mean angle your knees? To hit the obliques? Sorry I'm confused

Radman69
04-02-2019, 10:57 AM
I do abs 6 days a quick mo weights no obliques..
high rep burns..
need to develop valleys but my strength is my small ass waist..
its about 28” lean and show ready..
i dont want it ‘thicker’ through weighted movements...
but yes
training all muscles is a must for a well balanced physique

maxmuscle1
04-02-2019, 11:00 AM
So just regular ropecrunches? ? What do you mean angle your knees? To hit the obliques? Sorry I'm confused

Go to tricep pushdown machine. Add rope attachment. Get on your knees(like to pray). Keep you upper body facing forward, hands on each side of your head with rope. Angle your knees to the side about 40 degrees, but keep facing forward and crunch straight down. Dont move your head to your knees. Make sense?

animal23
04-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Just curious if training obliques is good or bad. I see alot of pros that don't. They just do hanging leg raises, rope crunches, and vacuums

Radman69
04-02-2019, 11:51 AM
Just curious if training obliques is good or bad. I see alot of pros that don't. They just do hanging leg raises, rope crunches, and vacuums

Well..
its good.. if your going for strength numbers and wanna pull/squat WEIGHT!
its good strengthening of the posterior chain..
if physique is the goal..
then no...
keep it as small and tight as possible...

just my .02

Biggaintime
04-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Well..
then no...

just my .02

Radman69
04-02-2019, 12:04 PM

Fuck Ya!!

Adrenaline
04-02-2019, 12:06 PM
Yes I train abs 6 months prior to contest. In off season I dont train them.

animal23
04-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Well..
then no...

just my .02

Physique bro

Enigma
04-02-2019, 12:59 PM
Train obliques with weights and it will thicken your waist. For those who don’t have this issue, consider yourself blessed.
I too only train abs during show prep. They are already thick and don’t have that awesome ropy look so training them more will make them (my gut) bigger.
Same applies to obliques, imo.
I say that yes, you should train obliques but not with weight. Stick twists, side crunches, etc. Don’t forget that the simple tasks of moving weights about the gym trains them along with your abs.

Charger69
04-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Yes I train abs 6 months prior to contest. In off season I dont train them.

I do the same except 3 months out.

Gymrat101
04-03-2019, 02:09 AM
I do abs 6 days a quick mo weights no obliques..
high rep burns..
need to develop valleys but my strength is my small ass waist..
its about 28” lean and show ready..
i dont want it ‘thicker’ through weighted movements...
but yes
training all muscles is a must for a well balanced physiqueI train abs everyday no weights just body weight. I dont want bulking abs. I have a small waist and wanna keeping that way. Also do cardio 5 days a week. High reps is the key I think to nice chiseled abs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk