PDA

View Full Version : Rest periods between sets....necessary ?

Dath
10-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Are rest periods during your weight training workout necessary? Some trainers will encourage people to rest several seconds or minutes between sets of lifting. Here is one scientific study that supports this idea.

The study, done in Iran, measured testosterone and growth hormone in two groups of men. One group lifted weights with no rest periods. The other group lifted weights with repeated rest periods.
The results of the present study support rest period in [resistance exercise] sets as an important variable to increase the anabolic hormone concentrations, and it should be mentioned that short rest intervals elevated greater increase in [growth hormone] concentration compared with 120-second rest. However, [testosterone] response was greater in the [resistance exercise] protocol with a 120-second rest interval between sets.

Effects of very short rest periods- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20555276

Short rest. In the study, men who rested only 60 seconds between sets of their exercises—squat and bench press—gained the most growth hormone.
Long rest. On the other hand, men who rested 120 seconds—two minutes—between sets of their exercises gained the most testosterone.
Therefore:
This study is a good reason to take rest breaks while lifting weights. Waiting one or two minutes between sets of your lifts is a way to increase your growth hormone and testosterone responses.
And:
This will yield greater strength and mass gains for your athletic goals. More information about growth hormone is available.

capytan
10-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Great source, bro. I love seeing ncbi/pubmed on here. I'm generally very skeptical when I read something from BBC or something like that. I actually had my PI send something like this to me and he's done similar research for 15ish years. I've only been doing it for about six months haha. Only thing I don't like like about ncbi is I have a harder time finding relevant clinical research, I see mostly animal/molecular research. You have any way of sorting through the millions of docs?

beanlicker
10-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Good read!

I was always taught that the amount of rest you take between sets is determined by the type of workout.

If you’re using really heavy weights and doing fewer reps in order to bulk up, you can take up to 5 minutes between sets so that your muscles can produce their greatest effort each time.

Circuit training does a decent job of building strength, and can be a good substitute for an aerobic workout, especially if you start and end with a fairly long aerobic warm-up and cool down. You move quickly from exercise to exercise with little or no rest at all.

BIGBOSS
10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Damn good read bro!!!

Dath
10-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Great source, bro. I love seeing ncbi/pubmed on here. I'm generally very skeptical when I read something from BBC or something like that. I actually had my PI send something like this to me and he's done similar research for 15ish years. I've only been doing it for about six months haha. Only thing I don't like like about ncbi is I have a harder time finding relevant clinical research, I see mostly animal/molecular research. You have any way of sorting through the millions of docs?

No real specific manner Capytan... Keywords and reading. Pubmed is filled with SOOOOOOO much literature. It is unfortunate so many searches turn up studies on animals. There's a few other equally good sites out there as well.

jdb3
03-08-2013, 03:56 AM
Just done an article on this. The problem with these studies is that they are done either on college kids who play videogames all day or semi-athletic people. World class trainers agree...rest periods are dependent on intensity and volume in effect for hypertrophy

315 BEAST
03-08-2013, 04:44 AM
I usually rest 3-5 minutes when lifting heavy and 1-2 minutes when light. It's kinda a guess u just know when your body is ready to go again so a lot of the time I don't even really pay attention to how long my rest was

BIG_NICE
03-13-2013, 02:13 AM
Thought 90 second breaks were ideal for hypertrophy. I have been trying to stick to that unless I'm doing heavy squats or DL's.

BIG YARYAR
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Nice read,I usually rest under a minute

Greenegorilla2
03-13-2013, 10:11 PM
if u already have 1500mg of exogenous test running and your shut down do you think your body will still produce any extra testosterone?

joebob
03-13-2013, 11:41 PM
if u already have 1500mg of exogenous test running and your shut down do you think your body will still produce any extra testosterone?

Lol you are correct in assuming it will not!

1tuffcookie
03-14-2013, 12:31 AM
I don't do cardio so I try to keep my rest periods between 45-30 seconds in between reps. That seems to really get my heart rate up and maintain it for the duration of my exercise not to mention the sweat I work up..

hanuri
03-17-2013, 08:30 PM
I don't do cardio so I try to keep my rest periods between 45-30 seconds in between reps. That seems to really get my heart rate up and maintain it for the duration of my exercise not to mention the sweat I work up..
why not cardio ? look at good ole vids of ronnie coleman training w those humongous weights ..and see he´s not cardio wise dead after the sets .... he too did cardio even when adding mass . cardio is good for you when done in right mounts and fashion IMO . allows you to go exxtra hard w weights too w better vo2 capacity

titanman03
03-17-2013, 09:17 PM
when i first started working out my workout routine was made for me by a powerlifter who has a few world records and even he swears by warming up with 5 minutes of cardio before any workout to get the body warmed up , and he isnt into cardio or abs or looking ripped and i believe the 5 minutes of cardio really helps get ur body warmed up and ready to train.

Greenegorilla2
03-17-2013, 09:47 PM
I do around 20-30 jumpin jacks in between sets to keep heart rate up and it def helps slim up.

dontwork
03-18-2013, 01:47 AM
In usually hanging out by the EKG machine between sets. Just in case lol.

NickA
03-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Not to mention that your CNS might need some rest, especially when lifting heavy.

Greenegorilla2
03-19-2013, 12:05 AM
I need to get a stationary bike or somin.