PDA

View Full Version : Maxing Out

capytan
10-28-2012, 12:00 AM
I've been making pretty good gains lately and have been curious as to what my max is. I was really into weightlifting a few years ago and never knew how often to max out. It, at least for me, makes the day I max out nearly worthless for making gains. I would like to make the number of days I max as efficient as possible.... ie not just maintain my max from before. How often do you guys max out?

colochine
10-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Never. I workout by myself lol or I would. Probably once a month or so you should see nice sustained gains.

Camzilla
10-28-2012, 01:38 AM
1rm? Never. I can tell you what my 4rm is once a month tho. Its always my last set of the month for each exercise.

beanlicker
10-28-2012, 05:42 AM
I used to max out fairly often, but I've learned from injuries, orthopedic doctors, and personal training that maxing out can put unnecessary stress on your joints.

IMO, there is no reason to max out unless you are on a serious strength training routine. Even then it would be questionable.

If hypertrophy is your goal, stay in the 8-12 rep range and you'll be fine. Plus, there are formulas out there that will take your 5 or 10 rep max and calculate your 1RM, so you can always track it that way.

Roaddkingg
10-28-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree with the posters above.
I never max out. It is to easy to get a injury and for what? Ego.
I could care less for me to strain to the point where I'm going to break a fucking vessel or get a back injury. Then I would be out of it for a very long time and possibly forever.
I may be a bit more parinoid than most but I have no insurance and that in itself is a big motivator.
I feel my best when I have such a massive pump and my muscles are so tight I can hardly move and I get this by multiple sets of relatively high reps.
Hypertrophy comes from a complete pump. I'm not saying you dont have to push 100% but you can do this with lower weight and not a 1rep max.
Personally I see more young guys interested in the 1rep max stuff. And again I think some of it is so they can tell their buddy's.....hey I can do 405lbs, what can you do.
This aspect doesnt interest me. I get stoked when a buddy of mine at the gym says....hey bro you'r looking good.
Just my thoughts.

Dath
10-28-2012, 03:44 PM
I haven't went into the gym with the mindset to max out in over a year. I train by myself as well.
My gains stay steady and the complements mean I'm doing something right lol.
I'm with Roaddking- max reps to me are more for the younger guys and power lifters.

BIGBOSS
10-28-2012, 05:48 PM
I usually max out once a month. I do 1 set and 1 set only. After that back to basics!

dtoth
10-28-2012, 08:35 PM
When I was younger, I'd try & max about once every weeks. Now, that I'm older...I rarely try anymore. Maybe once every 6 months now.

PAiN
10-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Never. I workout by myself lol or I would. Probably once a month or so you should see nice sustained gains.

Same here bro. I train alone.

gotgear
10-31-2012, 10:27 PM
I never max out. For me it really doesn't have much benefit. As I have gotten older the joints don't like the extra stress it brings.