PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium is MAGIC

thebear
09-27-2019, 02:25 PM
A little soreness is good, but too much soreness for too long will squash your gains. This inexpensive mineral will help.

Inflammation Is Your Frenemy
Chronic inflammation will kill you. It's the root cause of just about every disease or illness you can name. At the very least, it contributes to or exacerbates hundreds of different aliments, from cancer and depression, to diabetes, baldness, and obesity.

But without some acute (not chronic) inflammation, you wouldn't gain an ounce of muscle either. Wounds wouldn't heal, including those "wounds" you inflict on your muscles when training. This is why many T Nation experts recommend that you avoid prescription anti-inflammatories and over-the-counter pain pills. They could be inhibiting muscle growth by squashing the healing aspects of inflammation.

So what are we supposed to do here? When it comes to training, we expect a little soreness. It's kinda pleasant, and it lets you know you did some work. That's acute soreness and it fades naturally. However, if you feel like you've been hit by a truck and need to read several motivation memes just to get out of bed, that's not good. In short, being too sore for too long sucks for your health, recovery, and gains.

We need to strike a balance and quell inflammation so it doesn't get out of control. Luckily, the solution could be as simple as getting more magnesium.

Magnesium Magic
Magnesium is involved in over 300 chemical reactions in the body. It helps breakdown sugars and fats, provides energy to all your cells, and helps maintain mineral balance in your body. Magnesium may also squelch the "bad" inflammation brought on by intense exercise.

Decrease Post-Exercise Inflammation
A recent study wanted to see what effect magnesium had on inflammation in rugby players pre and post competition. Twenty-three rugby players were randomly assigned to either a control group (no magnesium) or intervention group (magnesium supplementation). Blood samples where taken. For four weeks leading up to the match, the intervention group was given 500 mg magnesium – 250 mg twice per day. Blood samples were then taken the morning of the match, the day after, and 3 and 6 days after the match.

Researchers tested the stress markers ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone) and cortisol, as well as the inflammation markers IL-6 (interleukin 6) and a WBC differential. IL-6 is a protein produced at sites of acute and chronic inflammation. The WBC differential, particularly the ratio between neutrophils and lymphocytes, is an excellent marker of systemic inflammatory response.

The results? Magnesium supplementation resulted in significant decreases in IL-6, as well as the absence of sharp neutrophils to lymphocytes ratio. Simply, magnesium significantly lowered inflammation.

How To Use Magnesium
One of the great things about magnesium is that it's pretty harmless. The only known side effect of overdosing on the stuff is diarrhea, which is your body's natural way of preventing magnesium toxicity.

The study used 500 mg divided into two daily doses of 250 mg, so you could start there. But since magnesium also helps you relax and sleep, you could simply take a serving of ZMA[emoji2400] right before bed.

There's evidence that athletes and people under stress need more magnesium because stress (and exercise is a stress) causes us to excrete more magnesium through our urine. If you feel like you want to try more, go for it.

My recommendation is 5mg per lb BW a day.

Malate am and mid day, glycinate at night [emoji95]

I am a part time Proctologist and full time Gynecologist [emoji199]

BombdotCom
09-27-2019, 02:29 PM
A little soreness is good, but too much soreness for too long will squash your gains. This inexpensive mineral will help.

Chronic inflammation will kill you. It's the root cause of just about every disease or illness you can name. At the very least, it contributes to or exacerbates hundreds of different aliments, from cancer and depression, to diabetes, baldness, and obesity.

But without some acute (not chronic) inflammation, you wouldn't gain an ounce of muscle either. Wounds wouldn't heal, including those "wounds" you inflict on your muscles when training. This is why many T Nation experts recommend that you avoid prescription anti-inflammatories and over-the-counter pain pills. They could be inhibiting muscle growth by squashing the healing aspects of inflammation.

So what are we supposed to do here? When it comes to training, we expect a little soreness. It's kinda pleasant, and it lets you know you did some work. That's acute soreness and it fades naturally. However, if you feel like you've been hit by a truck and need to read several motivation memes just to get out of bed, that's not good. In short, being too sore for too long sucks for your health, recovery, and gains.

We need to strike a balance and quell inflammation so it doesn't get out of control. Luckily, the solution could be as simple as getting more magnesium.

Magnesium Magic
Magnesium is involved in over 300 chemical reactions in the body. It helps breakdown sugars and fats, provides energy to all your cells, and helps maintain mineral balance in your body. Magnesium may also squelch the "bad" inflammation brought on by intense exercise.

A recent study wanted to see what effect magnesium had on inflammation in rugby players pre and post competition. Twenty-three rugby players were randomly assigned to either a control group (no magnesium) or intervention group (magnesium supplementation). Blood samples where taken. For four weeks leading up to the match, the intervention group was given 500 mg magnesium – 250 mg twice per day. Blood samples were then taken the morning of the match, the day after, and 3 and 6 days after the match.

Researchers tested the stress markers ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone) and cortisol, as well as the inflammation markers IL-6 (interleukin 6) and a WBC differential. IL-6 is a protein produced at sites of acute and chronic inflammation. The WBC differential, particularly the ratio between neutrophils and lymphocytes, is an excellent marker of systemic inflammatory response.

The results? Magnesium supplementation resulted in significant decreases in IL-6, as well as the absence of sharp neutrophils to lymphocytes ratio. Simply, magnesium significantly lowered inflammation.

How To Use Magnesium
One of the great things about magnesium is that it's pretty harmless. The only known side effect of overdosing on the stuff is diarrhea, which is your body's natural way of preventing magnesium toxicity.

The study used 500 mg divided into two daily doses of 250 mg, so you could start there. But since magnesium also helps you relax and sleep, you could simply take a serving of ZMA[emoji2400] right before bed.

There's evidence that athletes and people under stress need more magnesium because stress (and exercise is a stress) causes us to excrete more magnesium through our urine. If you feel like you want to try more, go for it.

I am a part time Proctologist and full time Gynecologist [emoji199]I take 400mg before bed. Helps me fall asleep.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IronFox
09-27-2019, 02:32 PM
Very interesting article and don't most PWO or intra workout drinks have magnesium?

thebear
09-27-2019, 02:36 PM
Very interesting article and don't most PWO or intra workout drinks have magnesium?

Usually the wrong type. Lots of types of Mg, but some are not even digestible, some can’t cross BBB, some can only reach plasma, some can or can’t get to the cells.

BombdotCom
09-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Usually the wrong type. Lots of types of Mg, but some are not even digestible, some can’t cross BBB, some can only reach plasma, some can or can’t get to the cells.

I am a part time Proctologist and full time Gynecologist [emoji199]I take chelated?

IronFox
09-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Oh good to know and what's the best type to obtain?

thebear
09-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Oh good to know and what's the best type to obtain?

Bottom of the post [emoji6]

thekaratekid
09-27-2019, 06:28 PM
The best form of Mg to take guys is the Chloride form as in Magnesium Chloride. That's the one that exists in the body and recognizes the best. We don't have any other forms of Mg in our bodies; Oxide, Malate, Carbonate, Hydroxide etc etc. If you do injest a form other than chloride your body will try and convert it to chloride through chemical reactions the best it can the rest you pee or poop out.

This is the one that I've been using for years and in my opinion is the best. The Mega-Mag 400. I will also use the Calm as well as this is an excellent product.4910949110

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

thekaratekid
09-27-2019, 06:29 PM

Magnesium Magic

How To Use Magnesium

I am a part time Proctologist and full time Gynecologist [emoji199]Good thread Bear [emoji106]

thekaratekid
09-27-2019, 06:30 PM
Oh good to know and what's the best type to obtain?See my post at the bottom brother

thekaratekid
09-27-2019, 06:31 PM
I take chelated?

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkInferior form brother. See my post below

BombdotCom
09-27-2019, 06:33 PM
Inferior form brother. See my post below

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk[emoji2369] I've read the opposite... Oh well. I literally feel it every night I take it. Makes me calm and sleepy.

thebear
09-27-2019, 06:38 PM
[emoji2369] I've read the opposite... Oh well. I literally feel it every night I take it. Makes me calm and sleepy.

Everyone has their own take on this. But with malate in the am and day, can help a lot with energy. No in the body but can be absorbed and get into the cells. Glycinate can do the same at night but is more calming.

Chloride only contains 10-15% Mg, will chelate other minerals and is usually used for detoxes.

maxmuscle1
09-27-2019, 07:06 PM
Definitely using as I have low amoumts in my system.

Max

GoGoGodzilla
09-27-2019, 07:09 PM
The best form of Mg to take guys is the Chloride form as in Magnesium Chloride. That's the one that exists in the body and recognizes the best. We don't have any other forms of Mg in our bodies; Oxide, Malate, Carbonate, Hydroxide etc etc. If you do injest a form other than chloride your body will try and convert it to chloride through chemical reactions the best it can the rest you pee or poop out.

This is the one that I've been using for years and in my opinion is the best. The Mega-Mag 400. I will also use the Calm as well as this is an excellent product.4910949110

I use Calm 2-3 times a week before bed.

thekaratekid
09-27-2019, 07:12 PM
[emoji2369] I've read the opposite... Oh well. I literally feel it every night I take it. Makes me calm and sleepy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkLet me back up brother. Chelated isn't per say an inferior form I should not have used that verbage but it is a less efficient form if that makes sense and if it's working for you then awesome. Good to see anyone taking Magnesium period! [emoji106][emoji109][emoji123]

thekaratekid
09-27-2019, 07:13 PM
I use Calm 2-3 times a week before bed.Yeah Calm is awesome. I also use it in the mornings before going to work

Diesel1965
09-27-2019, 08:10 PM

Thank you brother I'll get some.

thekaratekid
09-27-2019, 09:12 PM
Thank you brother I'll get some.It's excellent stuff brother you'll love it [emoji120][emoji106][emoji109]

thekaratekid
09-27-2019, 09:19 PM
Thank you brother I'll get some.You're most welcome

thebear
11-30-2019, 02:33 PM
Bump

thekaratekid
11-30-2019, 08:08 PM
Everyone has their own take on this. But with malate in the am and day, can help a lot with energy. No in the body but can be absorbed and get into the cells. Glycinate can do the same at night but is more calming.

Chloride only contains 10-15% Mg, will chelate other minerals and is usually used for detoxes.

I am a part time Proctologist and full time Gynecologist [emoji199]You are incorrect on this.

thebear
11-30-2019, 09:20 PM
You are incorrect on this.

We will have to agree to disagree.

thekaratekid
11-30-2019, 10:02 PM
We will have to agree to disagree.We can do that

NewSchool82
12-02-2019, 04:19 AM
If this stuff helps ya fall asleep at night before bed then why in the hell would you take it in the morning after you wake up? I don’t wanna go right back to bed. I got shit to do.

thebear
12-02-2019, 05:31 AM
If this stuff helps ya fall asleep at night before bed then why in the hell would you take it in the morning after you wake up? I don’t wanna go right back to bed. I got shit to do.

Malate in am

Glycinate ONLY at night

thekaratekid
12-02-2019, 05:51 AM
If this stuff helps ya fall asleep at night before bed then why in the hell would you take it in the morning after you wake up? I don’t wanna go right back to bed. I got shit to do.Magnesium doesn't wake you up brother regardless of what others say they just don't understand Magnesium and all of it's dynamics. Plain and simple Magnesium is a natural "relaxer" in all of it's respectful means and will put you to sleep before anything and DEFINITELY WILL NOT give you energy and keep you up.

thekaratekid
12-02-2019, 05:55 AM
Magnesium doesn't wake you up brother regardless of what others say they just don't understand Magnesium and all of it's dynamics. Plain and simple Magnesium is a natural "relaxer" in all of it's respectful means and will put you to sleep before anything and DEFINITELY WILL NOT give you energy and keep you up.

Sent from my LML211BL using TapatalkTake only Magnesium Chloride if you can. It's the ONLY form your body recognizes and will use. All others will be ultimately converted to the chloride form the best your body can do and if not you will just pee and poop out all the rest.

thebear
12-02-2019, 05:55 AM
Magnesium doesn't wake you up brother regardless of what others say they just don't understand Magnesium and all of it's dynamics. Plain and simple Magnesium is a natural "relaxer" in all of it's respectful means and will put you to sleep before anything and DEFINITELY WILL NOT give you energy and keep you up.

Agreed that’s it’s not a stimulant.

I thought we agreed to disagree and now this [emoji23] Your funny bro.

thekaratekid
12-02-2019, 05:58 AM
Agreed that’s it’s not a stimulant.

I thought we agreed to disagree and now this [emoji23] Your funny bro.So are you my man

thebear
12-02-2019, 11:17 AM
So are you my man

Peace out my friend. Not sure what your beef is. If you want a pissing contest that’s not my gig.

Mikeyz206
12-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Very great post. Thank you thebear.