PDA

View Full Version : 5 Biggest Back Training Mistakes

darksidefitness
11-06-2012, 06:44 PM
5 Biggest Back Training Mistakes http://www.musclemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/LEAD.jpg
The only way to ensure solid overall back development is through perfect form and flawless technique. Make any of these subtle but common back training errors and you can kiss your gains goodbye!

By Bill Geiger, MA, and Jimmy Peña, MS, CSCS
1. Leaning Back As You Pull http://www.musclemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Leaning-Back-As-You-Pull.jpg
Whether you’re doing pulldowns or rows, it’s not uncommon to see bodybuilders see-sawing their body in an effort to move weights that are simply too heavy. That motion turns a lat exercise into a lower-back move, and guess which muscle group is doing less work because of the added momentum? That completely defeats the purpose. Swallow your pride and lessen the weight a few plates. It’s okay to bend forward or backward about 10 degrees, but anything more reduces the emphasis on the target muscle and increases your risk of injury.
2. Neglecting Elbow Position Exercises such as one-arm dumbbell rows, close-grip seated cable rows and close-grip pulldowns are all back training favorites, but there’s a big problem doing them all in the same workout: They miss the upper lats (the meaty area that accentuates your V-taper). When doing those moves, the elbows stay in tight to the body so that the lower lats are more heavily engaged. Always consider elbow position: With your elbows out wide and away from your sides, the upper lats are more effectively recruited. Wide-grip pull-ups and pulldowns and wide-grip rows more effectively target this region. Make sure to include moves in which your elbows are both tight to your sides and away from your torso in your back workout to hit all areas.
3. Not Using Pulling Straps http://www.musclemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Not-Using-Pulling-Straps.jpg
Toward the end of just about any back exercise, the challenge is as much about holding onto the bar as it is completing those last few reps. For most bodybuilders hand grip is weaker than the strength in their back, so the grip is bound to go before the lats are completely fatigued. Never allow your back to be at the mercy of your grip. Straps put you at an advantage for more reps on virtually every back exercise; in fact, research shows you can get 1–2 more reps per set using weights from 1–10RM (that is, on your heaviest sets as well as sets of 10 reps), so straps aren’t just for your low-rep sets. Invest in a pair of good straps and don’t wait for your grip to fail before putting them on.
4. Allowing Your Back To Round This is one you probably hear more than any other, and for good reason: When your back rounds, it puts the discs in your spine, especially the lumbar (lower back) area, under tremendous pressure and increases the likelihood of an injury. Disc herniation is one of the worst injuries a bodybuilder can suffer because it can cause long-term pain, atrophy, numbness or even loss of ability to contract the muscle. Whether you’re pulling down, pulling up, pulling over or rowing, your entire body has to be in an ideal position for not only growth and strength gains, but for safety. For spinal health, keep your chest big and your lower back arched — never rounded. That means your core muscles have to be contracting isometrically to maintain your body position so that your back doesn’t round, especially toward the end of your set.
5. Not Pulling Your Elbows Far Enough Back http://www.musclemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Not-Pulling-Your-Elbows-Far-Enough-Back.jpg
You’d never dream of loading up the squat bar and going down just a few inches (well, with the exception of dedicated partial reps), but that’s effectively what’s happening when you try and row weights that are too heavy. In the rowing motion, for a full contraction you need to pull your elbows as far behind the plane of your back as possible, retracting your shoulder blades as you squeeze the target muscle. Going too heavy limits the range of motion. While you may not be able to fulfill the full range of motion toward the end of a heavy set, make sure you’re using a weight that at least enables you to get 5–6 complete reps on your own.

moreweight
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Now I think of It I do some of these

Thanks

darksidefitness
11-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Anybody here training chest and back same day; read before about positive and negative muscle work-out the same day. As well biceps and triceps...any comments?

bugse2342
11-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Good info, I have heard several BB say they wish they new when they were younger it's all about the form not the weight.

darksidefitness
11-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Good point about age. Testosterone just want to move a lot of weight, however you grow, learn and get smarter. Train smart not hard!

YolkBoyFresh
01-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Today is back day. Might make my workout partner read this before we begin.

gator-mclusky
01-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Anybody here training chest and back same day; read before about positive and negative muscle work-out the same day. As well biceps and triceps...any comments?

Yea, I Superset Chest and Back often. Love it. Same with Bi's and Tris.

I like the article. The only thing I dont agree with are using straps. I believed in them yrs ago but found my grip strength suffered. For some they work great but personally I dont use em.

darksidefitness
01-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Straps are good for single or double heavy set in my opinion. Like to push yourself in that extra 5lbs. But I don't need them for reps. If I can not hold it...I go lower. However, there are a lot of people that love them and get good results. Is just taste...

chavez3
01-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Form and technique are so important but I do find im slippin' sometimes when pushing heavier weights. Gotta watch that i guess.