PDA

View Full Version : The Most Underrated Movements

darksidefitness
11-13-2012, 03:55 PM
The Most Underrated Movements By Dave Tate

There are no special mystery exercises that only the best of the best know. The cards are known and are the same to everyone. The game is to know what cards to play at the right time. Most people have no fucking clue.
A better question to ask would be, “Why are you doing the movements you’re doing now? Is there a real reason or is it just because you like to do them?” If your goal is a bigger bench press, then your reason for the movements you do should support the goal of the program.

This is something to understand about strength: you have three compound movements that make up your core exercises, but you’re not going to get stronger on these movements by doing them alone. Strength needs to be built using other special exercises intended to reinforce or build your technique, skill and strength. You should select movements based on your weaknesses and skill level.

Let’s use the squat as an example. Let’s say the lifter drops his chest at the 3/4 point and falls forward. He can’t keep his upper back locked-in, but it only happens with max weights. One solution would be high arch back good morning with a safety squat bar.
This will strengthen the upper back and traps to hold the position, while also teaching the lifter how to keep his chest up. But maybe he’s a low-skilled lifter who won’t be able to keep the proper torso position to do the movement listed. If that’s the case, we need to back up and work our way into the movement with exercises such as Supermans on the floor, reverse hypers, etc.
There needs to be a process to get from point A to point Z and most people just think they can jump in at Z and make it happen, but nothing is further from the truth.

Personally, I hated doing reverse hypers and ab work with a passion, but without it my lifts sucked. I also hated sled work, but had to do it. It would be safe to say I hated half the shit I did. But in the end I was 100% happy with the results.
But then again, life would be too easy if all we had to do were the things we liked.

PAiN
11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Great post bro.

Structure88
11-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Good shit

darksidefitness
11-14-2012, 12:36 AM
This is why you need a good partner that will tell you your weakness. Other way is attend to an elite power-lifting seminar were they will correct your form and tell you what you doing wrong.

bugse2342
11-14-2012, 02:55 PM
A good partner is critical, they are that extra set of eyes to monitor the motion of the exrecise to make sure you're doing properly.