PDA

View Full Version : Weighted Dip Ramblings

darksidefitness
11-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Weighted Dip Ramblings By Josh Bryant

I get asked and e-mailed about dips a lot, so here are some of my thoughts:

As Rudyard Kipling warned (“lest we forget”) about the dangers of imperial hubris in his famous poem, “Recessional,” the same caveat can be issued for the arrogant belief and dismissal of proven basic exercises. Weighted dips were a staple strength training movement before modern machines and gimmicks. They helped develop some of the strongest people of all time and most massive physiques of all time. Weighted dips have a place in a wide spectrum of programs that serve a wide range of goals.

Here are some reasons to include weighted dips in your training program:

Weighted dips force you to handle your body weight, plus an additional load. In most sports, minimally, you will have to be proficient with your body weight.
Weighted dips force the athlete to use his/her upper body and core to stabilize the load, unlike pushups, your feet are not on the ground.
For muscle hypertrophy, do a Google search on weighted dips; many of the results will refer to this exercise as the “king” for the chest and the triceps. How many exercises claim this kind of monopoly on two different muscle groups?
Dips build strength in functional activities and in strength tests. Pat Casey, the first man to bench press 600 pounds, had weighted dips at the core of his program. Want to bench big? Try dips! Not to mention, they help the overhead press. Dips helped me win the overhead press with ease at the Atlantis Strongest Man in America Contest.
Athletes with shoulder or elbow injuries may find dips to be a good substitute for bench pressing.
Dips have been the staple of many great physique athletes. I personally witnessed Branch Warren and Ronnie Coleman do dips on many occasions.

Bar dips are a closed kinetic chain exercise, unlike the bench press.Everybody will benefits from this magnificent exercise.

Jacked
11-15-2012, 08:49 PM
good post bro

jurgensplurgen
11-16-2012, 11:08 PM
I love weighted dips! No other exercise has built more strength and size in my tris than these. I avoided them for a long time, but after giving them a go for a couple weeks they became a permanent part of my routine. Also it feels super badass when you get several 45s dangling from chains between your legs, heavy iron thunderclap ballz. Sometimes my dick gets caught between them, but it's cool, it just increases my test production!

PAiN
11-16-2012, 11:14 PM
I love weighted dips! No other exercise has built more strength and size in my tris than these. I avoided them for a long time, but after giving them a go for a couple weeks they became a permanent part of my routine. Also it feels super badass when you get several 45s dangling from chains between your legs, heavy iron thunderclap ballz. Sometimes my dick gets caught between them, but it's cool, it just increases my test production!

LMAO

Dips are great for bringing up the tri's and chest.

Dath
11-19-2012, 01:02 PM
I Finish with Dips every other week, going to failure with a few sets...last one being body weight only.

ShortnWide
11-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I love weighted dips, I put them in every other routine change I make.

Also love when everyone HAS to watch the guy at the gym lifting plates on his belt

Fullback40
12-15-2012, 06:13 PM
we got a couple sets of 45lb chains at our gym i love throwing around my neck and pumping out a couple burnout sets......makes a nasty looking picture to haha;)

darksidefitness
12-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Anybody try to change the angle of the body (lean fwd or back) while doing dips to attack different muscle group? I do and feel different. Any thoughts?

jurgensplurgen
12-15-2012, 08:49 PM
yup. If doing them on chest day I lean forward, elbows flared out, and on triceps stay straight to slightly back and try to keep those suckers tucked as far behind as possible. I actually find I'm much stronger at these when emphasizing triceps rather than chest. That could be a difference in mechanical advantage, or maybe just adaptation to doing the exercise a certain way.

buck320
12-22-2012, 05:50 AM
Anyone feel the hammer strenght seat dip machine(plate loaded on) better that the good old regular dip bars?

exphys88
12-22-2012, 07:04 AM
I love dips, just feel like a beast on them. Anyone else get nerve shooting pains when going heavy though?

Camzilla
12-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Anyone feel the hammer strenght seat dip machine(plate loaded on) better that the good old regular dip bars?

Not me Bro. I like the simple austerity if it as it was designed. 1 man + 2 parallel bars = no where to hide, start pushing or go home.

Love me some weighted dips.

jurgensplurgen
12-28-2012, 02:51 AM
I liked the machine when I for a little while when I was building up to weighted dips, or for starting buddies on if they are kind of overweight and really struggling with their bodyweight. Also the machine is great at the end of a tricep workout for drop sets and/or forced reps -- but most of the time the bars are the way to go. Even if the same work is getting done, there is something psychologically gratifying about them, and feeling like a badass is a nice bonus to have.
------------
I used to get bad pains from the bars pinching a nerve in my hand. I don't get it anymore, and I'm not sure how or why it went away, but it was excruciating for a while. Solution was to use those rubber grip pads for opening jars and put those over the bars. Nice secure grip, and gives a little cushion for your hand. I tried rags for a while but kept slipping off and was going to break my face.

gator-mclusky
01-12-2013, 03:39 AM
I love weighted dips, I put them in every other routine change I make.

Also love when everyone HAS to watch the guy at the gym lifting plates on his belt

Hahaha...yea, love it. I gatta get back to Dips!!!!!!!!

gtr