PDA

View Full Version : FedEx, UPS are targets of federal criminal investigation of shipments for online pharmacies

PAiN
11-17-2012, 12:14 AM
It appears the government is going after the transport and delivery companies that steroid sources use to ship anabolic steroids (e.g. FedEx, UPS).

FedEx is speaking against the government action. But UPS is cooperating and upgrading its "compliance" to government demands.

The government's investigation "has now become absurd and deeply disturbing," said Patrick Fitzgerald, FedEx's vice president for corporate communications. He said the government wanted to "deputize" FedEx delivery people to help "catch criminals."

"We cannot do their jobs for them," he said.

UPS, by contrast, has disclosed that it is in talks with the Justice Department about settling the case. In filings this month with the Securities and Exchange Commission, UPS said it was cooperating with a DEA investigation involving the "transportation of packages on behalf of online pharmacies that may have operated illegally."

In its filing, UPS said it was exploring a settlement that would involve upgrading its compliance program and possibly paying a fine. A company spokesman said, "We won't have any further comment until the matter is closed."

[...]

"We are a transportation company," said Mr. Fitzgerald. "We are not law enforcement, we are not doctors and we are not pharmacists."

"We have no interest in violating the privacy of our customers by opening and inspecting their packages in an attempt to determine the legality of the contents," Fitzgerald said.

FedEx, UPS are targets of federal criminal investigation of shipments for online pharmacies

SAN FRANCISCO - The nation's two largest shipping companies said they are targets of a criminal probe related to their dealings with online pharmacies at the center of an international crackdown on prescription drug abuse.

FedEx Corp. and UPS Inc. made the disclosures in regulatory filings over the last several weeks. FedEx spokesman Patrick Fitzgerald confirmed the probe in a prepared statement and a phone interview Thursday.

The federal investigation of the two shipping giants stems from a blitz against online pharmacies that was launched in 2005. Since then, dozens of arrests have been made, thousands of websites shuttered and tens of millions of dollars and pills seized worldwide as investigators continue to broaden the probe beyond the operators.
Last year, Google Inc. agreed to pay $500 million to settle allegations by the U.S. Justice Department that it profited from ads for illegal online pharmacies.
A federal jury on Thursday convicted three men of operating illegal pharmacies that used FedEx and UPS to deliver drugs without proper prescriptions. Seven others have been convicted in San Francisco this year.

Fitzgerald said he didn't know if the FedEx investigation was connected to the San Francisco cases, but U.S. Department of Justice investigators based in San Francisco are looking into issues "related to the transportation of packages for online pharmacies." He called the probe "absurd" and said the Memphis, Tenn., company denied any wrongdoing
A spokesman with the U.S. attorney's office in San Francisco declined to comment. A spokesman for Atlanta-based UPS couldn't be reached after business hours Thursday.
UPS disclosed the investigation Nov. 1 in a regulatory filing reporting its quarterly earnings.

"We have received requests for information from the DOJ in the Northern District of California in connection with a criminal investigation relating to the transportation of packages for online pharmacies that may have shipped pharmaceuticals in violation of federal law," the company stated. UPS said it was cooperating with the investigation and is "exploring the possibility of resolving this matter."

FedEx was more defiant. Fitzgerald said the company has no plans to plea bargain with federal officials.
"Settlement is not an option when there is no illegal activity," Fitzgerald said.

Both companies said they were served with grand jury subpoenas between 2007 and 2009. Fitzgerald declined to discuss why FedEx was now disclosing the investigation, but he confirmed that the company is under investigation for allegedly aiding and abetting online pharmacies that illegally ship prescription drugs.

Fitzgerald said the Drug Enforcement Agency has refused FedEx's request for a list of online pharmacies under investigation. Without such a list, Fitzgerald said it's impossible to know which companies are operating illegally.

"We have no interest in violating the privacy of our customers by opening and inspecting their packages in an attempt to determine the legality of the contents," Fitzgerald said.
___
Associated Press writer Alicia A. Caldwell in Washington contributed to this report.

================================================== ===========================

johnnytats
11-18-2012, 01:48 AM
hope this doesnt happen soon i use online for gear and meds. meds are cheaper through mail nothing narcotic or any thing just easier on my pocket

almonster
11-18-2012, 01:53 PM
i hope the dont turn rat for the feds , unbeleivable

ShortnWide
11-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Big smack in the face on both sides for us. Thanks for the info Pain.

Camzilla
11-18-2012, 02:19 PM
This is bad. Shuttering USPS, now this. Gov takeover of private enterprise in lieu of paying fed workers they get the service for free.

ShortnWide
11-18-2012, 02:20 PM
i hope the dont turn rat for the feds , unbeleivable

Yes they will man. Their both billion a year businesses so they will prob end up doing so.

mikeyg51
11-18-2012, 05:08 PM
good fucking god...i bet its a matter of time before it goes private....fucking government fucks

texas boy
11-18-2012, 07:05 PM
hope this dont fuck up the game

almonster
11-19-2012, 10:13 AM
hope this dont fuck up the game

if they do roll, i am sure someone will find a way around it lol

Dath
11-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Carrier pigeons will make a come back !!!

brad1224
11-19-2012, 05:01 PM
soon its going to be like "big brother is watching" type shit! jesus

almonster
11-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Carrier pigeons will make a come back !!!

well we should start training some pigeons now, get them good and jacked so they can carry more gear.

ODB
11-20-2012, 04:23 PM
It also appears that in some cases and in some country's WU+MG are harassing the runners who pick up the $ for the Suppliers.

Broly
04-08-2013, 05:26 AM
Has anyone placed any online orders with chem research labs since this happend? I haven't decided if I want to test out the water yet... this sucks

Bulky61
04-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Dammm thats crazy

Bad Juju
04-25-2013, 04:06 AM
this has been a long time in the making. where there is a will there is a way. Just like the old idea of a file or lock pick in a cake thats delivered to an inmate right haha. you have to think of all the illegal drugs that make it here. everything will sort itself out one way or the other

bbcoach
04-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Its all about money! Big pharmaceutical companies are losing money to over seas pharmacies

TexxGearsRep
04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Its all about money! Big pharmaceutical companies are losing money to over seas pharmacies

You are correct it is ALL ABOUT MONEY!

damage
04-30-2013, 12:50 AM

true but it sucks big time. for the small guys like us. Might have to start going on vacation when its time to blast LOL.

luckyluke_80
04-30-2013, 01:19 AM

This. Why this sucks....they will find someway around it. Too much money not to adapt and try to stay 1 step ahead of them.

Stickball
05-03-2013, 04:38 PM
The never ending game of cat and mouse continues...