PDA

View Full Version : The Basic Training Leg Workout

darksidefitness
11-30-2012, 06:57 PM
The Basic Training Leg Workout

Fill out and then stretch your jeans with this tried-and-true leg workout that is sure to pack on muscle and transform your legs into your best bodypart!

By Jimmy Peña, MS, CSCS

Got Legs? If Not, Here’s How To Get ‘Em

Whether you’re coming back from a layoff or injury, are a beginner in the gym or one of those bodybuilders who’s neglected his lower half, the fastest way to add some size to your thighs is to stick with the basics. The concept of overload that governs resistance training is critical now more than ever, because nothing’s going to grow if you don’t challenge it. And that was never more true than on leg day. Your discipline will determine your destiny; when it comes to your legs, yours is still unwritten.

Keys to Leg Day Training

1) Use Compound Forces. Because leg training involves so many muscle groups, it’s critical — at least the majority of time – to begin your routine with multijoint moves. Those are the exercises that use all of the major muscle groups simultaneously in a single exercise. To build your foundation you need to start big. Basically, you want moves that call upon the hamstrings, glutes and quads all at the same time. That means favoring squats and squat variations (hacks and leg presses — which are basically inverted squats in a machine) over single-joint moves like the leg extension and leg curls.

2) Turn Up the Volume. Gaining as much size as possible requires more than just choosing the right exercises and doing them in the right order. You must also do enough sets and choose the appropriate level of resistance. Research has shown that high-volume workouts are important factors in building muscle size, not to mention initiating the release of critical anabolic hormones responsible for muscle growth. Hence you’ll be doing a hefty number of sets on leg day.

3) Pick the Right Rep Range. Because a big muscle is also a strong one, it’s good to make sure you use both heavy and moderate weights to build size and strength. After all, the more weight you can move, the more your legs will respond. For that reason, you’re going to attack a spectrum of rep ranges. Do sixes and eights early in your routine (choose a weight with which you fail at six and eight reps, respectively) for strength, and then shooting for 10s, 12s and even 15s toward the end to expand the muscle tissue. That’s a perfect combination for getting the best of both worlds.

4) Adjust Your Rest Intervals. Typically we suggest you rest 1–2 minutes between sets; just enough time to recoup and recover before your next grueling round of reps. But when it comes to your heaviest sets, we’re adding an additional minute. Resting up to three minutes will ensure you’re completely prepared for the next set or exercise. You want to be as strong as possible on each set, so slowing down your pace on your heaviest sets guarantees just that.

Basic Training Leg Workout

Squat 5 Sets x 6,6,8,12,15 Reps
Hack Squat 5 Sets x 6,6,8,12,15 Reps
Leg Extension 3 Sets x 8,12,15 Reps
Lying Leg Curl 3 Sets x 8,12,15 Reps
Leg-Press Calf Raise 3 Sets x 15, 20, 25 Reps

* Doesn’t include warm-up sets; do as many as you can but never take warm-up sets to muscle failure.

* Choose a weight so that you can reach muscle failure at the target rep. Take weight off on successive sets on a given exercise so that you can reach the higher rep target. Rest up to three minutes before your heaviest sets.
Squat

If this is your first time hearing this, it won’t be your last. If you want to build leg mass, this is the move of moves. No other exercise will add size to all the muscles of the lower body better than the squat.

Target: Quads, glutes, hamstrings

Do It Right: Position the bar across your shoulders and stand erect with your chest out and holding a slight arch in your back, feet shoulder width apart and pointed slightly outward. Keep your head facing directly forward (don’t look up). Do a deep knee bend; from the bottom position, press through the floor with your legs until you reach the standing position, flexing your legs and glutes briefly at the top.

Power Pointer: Squat down until you reach at least a thighs-parallel position (90-degree knee bend) to ensure optimal thigh and glute development. Shallow squats work a far smaller degree of muscle mass.

Hack Squat

With your legs fatigued, move to machine training so that you no longer have to worry about balance. The hack also hits all the major muscles, but foot placements as well as squat depth determine which muscles are emphasized.

Target: Quads, glutes, hamstrings

Do It Right: Secure your torso under the pads. As you descend, keep your knees in line tracking over your feet and don’t bounce out of the bottom position, but rather make a smooth transition as you explode upward. Keep your back flat against the pad at all times with your abs tight, and make sure your feet remain flat on the platform throughout.

Power Pointer: The higher you place your feet on the footplate, the less the emphasis on the quads and the greater on the hams/glutes. The more narrow and low, the higher involvement of the quads, especially the outer sweep.

almonster
12-01-2012, 09:28 PM
thats gonna hurt lol

darksidefitness
12-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Yes sir! Ha Ha Ha...But like we said; NO PAIN, NO GAIN!

thats gonna hurt lol

almonster
12-02-2012, 11:12 PM
i did two 225 warm up sets 3 workin sets 315, 365, 405, last set was twelve at 225 then moved on to hack squats no warm up maxed out at eight wheels for six then leg ext and curls . its a killer workout and thanks . i get pretty lazy sometimes on leg day, and as i speak i am layin down writeing this lmao.work tomorrow is gonna suck

sensitivenips
12-03-2012, 05:27 PM
thanks for this post. i change my routine up just about every 3 months, and leg day is one that grabs the least of my interest, its a sad truth. however i am thinking about going back to the basics on my leg day now, and this article was a great motivational piece for me.

darksidefitness
12-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Basic training allllllllways works. After sometime of training, then make some tweak here and there to tailor the routine to your specific purpose and body type.

buckeye
12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Thats good read bro.i love this board

darksidefitness
12-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Glad you like it. There is more in the Brotherhood National Library...LoL! Stay tune for more!

Thats good read bro.i love this board

alinshop
12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Great workout.

assman222007
12-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Awesome plan I'm gonna try it out

YolkBoyFresh
01-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm already feeling sore from just reading it!

darksidefitness
01-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Just remember...Pain is weakness leaving the body. Keep pumping!

I'm already feeling sore from just reading it!

Johnson
01-20-2013, 02:55 AM
Nice workout bro, looks pretty similar to mine minus a couple hack squat sets. Might add a couple more in now, I dig the pain.

Structure88
01-20-2013, 02:58 AM
Thanks bro

AryanSteel
02-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Really good read thanks

315 BEAST
02-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Good read bro thanks

1tuffcookie
02-14-2013, 12:49 AM
That work out is "puke for sure" work out . Gonna start it so peeps at the gym watch for flying undigested pieces of chicken..LMAO!!!!!

315 BEAST
02-14-2013, 04:50 AM
^^^ lol I was thinking the same thing

easy
02-19-2013, 01:46 AM
I definitely have to try this. My legs are pretty strong but i need em to grow some more

darksidefitness
02-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Good deal. Let us know how it goes

I definitely have to try this. My legs are pretty strong but i need em to grow some more