PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of Ibuprofen

thebear
03-07-2020, 11:51 PM
We’ve all done it: Popped a few ibuprofen after a tough workout. Anti-inflammatory drugs (often called NSAIDs for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) have become so common that people don’t think twice about taking them. Athletes are especially susceptible to NSAID overuse, with rates of use being higher than in the general population.

It should be noted that NSAIDs are an important tool and there are situations when use of NSAIDs is warranted: They are a non-addictive, safer alternative to opioids for pain management.

They are a good alternative to ******** in children for the treatment of severe pain following fracture or surgery.

Although ibuprofen and related pain-killing drugs are a useful option in certain situations, they shouldn’t be a regular part of your life. In fact, there are a number of dangerous things that can happen if you take these drugs frequently or mix them with physical activity. Here are some of the harmful side effects you could be facing with NSAID use:

Reduced Healing From Fracture: Contrary to the widespread belief that ibuprofen accelerates healing, some studies show that it can slow the healing of broken bones, ligaments, and other tissue.

Complications Following Surgery: One study found that patients who used NSAIDs after surgery were twice as likely to experience complications, such as non-union of fractures or infection.

Damage To The GI Tract When Combined With Exercise: Due to the redistribution of blood from the gut to the muscles, heart, and lungs during exercise, NSAID use harms the gut lining, which inhibits absorption of nutrients and allows toxins to pass into the blood stream.

Reduced Muscle Development: NSAID use suppresses protein synthesis and is thought to reduce the muscle growth response to exercise—animal studies show a reduction in hypertrophy of 50 to 75 percent in animals.

Increased Risk Of Heart Problems During Exercise: Combining NSAID use with exercise has been associated with increased risk of cardiovascular events.

Slower Healing of Tendon & Ligament Injuries: NSAIDs reduce the regeneration of satellite cells, which are the cells that rebuild the connective tissue that connects muscle and bones.

Lower Testosterone Levels In Men: Regular ibuprofen use can produce a substantial drop in testosterone levels in young men. One study showed the drop was significant enough to classify the men as clinically hypogonadal, which is linked to lower sperm quality and reduced fertility.

Compromised Strength Gains From Training: Along with a reduction in muscle growth, strength is also compromised, likely due to reductions in cellular activity in the muscle.

Increased Risk of Kidney Problems: NSAIDs are hard on the kidneys and the effect is greatest when combining them with exercise: One study found athletes taking NSAIDs during competition are at increased risk of bleeding in their kidneys.

Elevated Blood Pressure: All NSAIDs tend to raise blood pressure. The effect is most pronounced in people who already have hypertension, however, in light of the importance of controlling blood pressure for reducing long-term wear on the vascular system, everyone should be aware of this risk.

What about natural pain killers?
One option is curcumin, a compound found in the spice turmeric that has pain reducing effects.

It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects by eradicating reactive oxygen species and supporting the body’s internal antioxidant system that is powered by the compound glutathione. Curcumin can counter the inflammatory response associated with a number of diseases including diabetes, cancer, and osteoarthritis.

It also reduces pain associated with inflammation including DOMS muscle pain and pain suffered during the healing of burns and wounds. Curcumin can be taken in capsule form or applied to painful or inflamed body parts in a cream. It is poorly absorbed and needs to be taken with piperine, which is found in black pepper.

References:
Poonai N, et al. Oral administration of ******** versus ibuprofen to manage postfracture pain in children: a randomized trial. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2014. 186(18):1358-63.

Marquez-Lara A, et al. Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs and Bone-Healing: A Systematic Review of Research Quality. JBJS Reviews. 2016. 4(3).

The No Pills, No Pain Program. Illinois Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Centers. Retrieved 4 October 2016. The No Pills, No Pain Program Chicago, IL | Cell Orthopaedic Surgeon Glenview & Chicago (http://www.ismoc.net/sportsmedicine/nopillsnopain.html)

Jeffcoach DR, et al. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs' impact on nonunion and infection rates in long-bone fractures. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2014. 76(3):779-83.

Wijck, K., Lenaerts, K., et al. Aggravation of Exercise-Induced Intestinal Injury by Ibuprofen in Athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2012. 44(12):2257-62.

Krstensen, D., et al. Ibuprofen alters human testicular physiology to produce a state of compensated hypogonadism.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2018. 115(4):E715-E724.

Simon, J, Prince, S. Natural remedies for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced toxicity. Journal of Applied Toxicology. 2016. Published Ahead of Print.

Panahi Y, et al. Mitigation of Systemic Oxidative Stress by Curcuminoids in Osteoarthritis: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Dietary Supplements. 2016. 13(2):209-20.
12) Drobnic F. Curcumin reduces pain in DOMS. Pain. 2016. 157(10):2390-1

Gaffey A, et al. The effects of curcumin on musculoskeletal pain: a systematic review protocol. JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2015. 13(2):59-73.

Cheppudira B, et al. Curcumin: a novel therapeutic for burn pain and wound healing. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2013. 22(10):1295-303.

Mikeyz206
03-08-2020, 01:21 AM
Yes I was told this many years ago and it is so true. Can't take Tylenol pm for sleep or abuse these pain pills. These kill our liver and gains. Thanks for this post thebear! Also my Dr. Said leads to ED.

IRISHOAK
03-08-2020, 02:30 AM
kratom has replaced all that shit for me. I keep some generic 325mg aspirins for blood thinning purposes only when I feel theyre needed. Def saved my life a few times when I did too much coke back in the day! Lol

bayouboy1
03-08-2020, 08:46 AM
Great read bud thanks, my lower back is jacked up and bothers me every day, I’m waiting to get an updated mri soon cause I’m considering going get laser surgery done at the institute in Florida they supposed to be one the best.

I’ve probably up until abused ibuprofen, as I’ve had troubles abusing all pain meds I’ve taken over the years for my back pain form prescription pain meds to krAtom and ibuprofen I’ve abused all of them unintentionally.

Anyone who takes anything for pain occasionally, just like to say to y’all to be careful. I know when people told me that before I had a problem I was like most of you reading this that fit this profile thinking it will never happen to you, you can handle anything and know what you doing only drug heads struggle with
Addiction.

I wish my arrogance would have went away just once when I told myself I was to good and smart to get hooked to anything.

Time flys and it happens so fast you will develop a problem that you won’t realize until it’s to late. Nobody wants to be asking themselves how something like this happened

thebear
03-09-2020, 03:25 PM
Same minus the Kratom. Haven’t used NSAIDs in about 15yrs.

Popeye*
03-09-2020, 03:55 PM
Gnarly article appreciate the research and input.

I like the benefits of garlic, turmeric, and green tea myself. Lots of natural herbs/plants that can compare equal to-if not better than- some of the more dangerous man made chemicals. Some are OK though ;)

Pops
-Everyone dies but not everyone lives

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

laedlaerd
03-09-2020, 05:17 PM
I stopped taking that stuff a few years ago it was prescribed to me @ 800 mg 3 times a day I was super scared after getting a blood test and my enzymes wer jacked. So unless I have a broken arm or some unbearable pain I stay far and clear. Liver enzymes are back to normal btw.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

MasterBlaster805
03-09-2020, 05:44 PM
There is literally So much information out there these days that You find a study to support any side of any subject you care to debate. This is just another example. You know by what I go by? What works. Been taking Ibu for decades without a single health related issue. Why? Cause It just flat out works. Don't take it very often but when I need it 600-800 mgs is my go to dosage, and most of the time I only need to do that a few times before my issue goes away.

My Wife had a pretty traumatic injury years ago and the Dr's had her on 800mgs of Ibu 3-4 times a day for about a month. That opened my eyes to effective dosages for severe inflammation causing pain that the body can tolerate.

A while back I had to have a tooth extracted prior to having an implant put in, and I discovered the magic bullet for severe pain courtesy of an MIT graduate anesthesiologist. 800mgs of Ibuprofen with 2 extra strength Tylenol every 3-4 hours. After the first 3 doses I dropped the Ibu down to 600 mgs then 400 mgs... Had ZERO pain following the procedure.

Just one guys perspective, and everyone is different so Know your Body and do what works best for you. I just can't take any opiates..they make me nauseas

laedlaerd
03-09-2020, 06:47 PM
Crazy how AAS and PEDs are so frowned upon yet ibuprofen and all the other over the counter "medications " are perfectly legal. It's a deep dark path of blood money leading to about 1percent of the world's population.
That's another story;puts tinfoil hat on;

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

thebear
03-09-2020, 07:03 PM
There is literally So much information out there these days that You find a study to support any side of any subject you care to debate. This is just another example. You know by what I go by? What works. Been taking Ibu for decades without a single health related issue. Why? Cause It just flat out works. Don't take it very often but when I need it 600-800 mgs is my go to dosage, and most of the time I only need to do that a few times before my issue goes away.

My Wife had a pretty traumatic injury years ago and the Dr's had her on 800mgs of Ibu 3-4 times a day for about a month. That opened my eyes to effective dosages for severe inflammation causing pain that the body can tolerate.

A while back I had to have a tooth extracted prior to having an implant put in, and I discovered the magic bullet for severe pain courtesy of an MIT graduate anesthesiologist. 800mgs of Ibuprofen with 2 extra strength Tylenol every 3-4 hours. After the first 3 doses I dropped the Ibu down to 600 mgs then 400 mgs... Had ZERO pain following the procedure.

Just one guys perspective, and everyone is different so Know your Body and do what works best for you. I just can't take any opiates..they make me nauseas

You are correct sir. Thanks for sharing. It the effects of NSAIDs sacrifice long term health for short term gain.

Now I respect your post as I have never been in chronic pain so not sure what I would do [emoji1308]

Weapon X
03-10-2020, 11:49 AM
Solid post with good information