PDA

View Full Version : Thickened Water

jimbosmith316
05-02-2020, 02:12 PM
Anyone use thickened water for oral suspensions? Never heard of the stuff too today, lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

redhulk
05-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Why would you want to use it? Are you referring to Thick-it thickener? That stuff is use for dysphagia and swallowing disorders. Three levels of consistency nectar, honey, and pudding so I see no use for it in a suspension. I do non-sterile and sterile compounding and have never seen a USP monograph that calls for it.

jimbosmith316
05-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Why would you want to use it? Are you referring to Thick-it thickener? That stuff is use for dysphagia and swallowing disorders. Three levels of consistency nectar, honey, and pudding so I see no use for it in a suspension. I do non-sterile and sterile compounding and have never seen a USP monograph that calls for it.

It does have preservative in it and I have read someone that has used, I am guessing nectar, successfully as a suspension vehicle.

SloppyJ
05-03-2020, 03:46 AM
Orablend or the Humco equivalent. That's all I fuck with.

redhulk
05-03-2020, 06:36 PM
Orablend or the Humco equivalent. That's all I fuck with.

x2 plus Ora-sweet

redhulk
05-03-2020, 06:40 PM
It does have preservative in it and I have read someone that has used, I am guessing nectar, successfully as a suspension vehicle.

I'd have to investigate. Their website states "Yes, you can mix Thick-ItŪ Original Food & Beverage Thickeners in bulk as long as you keep the unused portion covered and refrigerated. The unused refrigerated portion may be kept for 2-3 days. Do not leave a thickened liquid at room temperature any longer than 3-4 hours."

This leads me to believe that it does not have any preservative properties per say. Ascorbic acid is listed as an ingredient which has natural preservative properties but my best guess it is used to preserve the powder not the product it is used with.

jimbosmith316
05-03-2020, 06:41 PM
I'd have to investigate. Their website states "Yes, you can mix Thick-It[emoji2400] Original Food & Beverage Thickeners in bulk as long as you keep the unused portion covered and refrigerated. The unused refrigerated portion may be kept for 2-3 days. Do not leave a thickened liquid at room temperature any longer than 3-4 hours."

This leads me to believe that it does not have any preservative properties per say. Ascorbic acid is listed as an ingredient which has natural preservative properties but my best guess it is used to preserve the powder not the product it is used with.Makes sense