PDA

View Full Version : Any strongman guys here?

Youts
08-17-2020, 12:33 AM
Just curious if any of you do strongman training? I just got into it the last year and am loving it, wish I would have done it earlier.

We train with Atlas stones 130 pound up to a 380 pound
Tires we have 600, 800, 1000 pounds

Rogue Log Press

220 pound cans for farmers walk

Axle bar

Sand bags 150 pound up to 250 pounds

Youts
08-20-2020, 01:46 AM
Was a good session tonight, did some farmers walk, then gauntlet of dumbbell bicep curls and some drop sets of tricep pushdowns with the rope. Always love the pump I get in my forearms!

Took some dbol inject about an hour before, those tricep pumps were painful but ohh so good!

dykstra91
08-20-2020, 11:37 PM
Was a good session tonight, did some farmers walk, then gauntlet of dumbbell bicep curls and some drop sets of tricep pushdowns with the rope. Always love the pump I get in my forearms!

Took some dbol inject about an hour before, those tricep pumps were painful but ohh so good!

I’m pretty interested in strongman finally my numbers are getting high enough for local competitions. I’ve been lifting for about a year. Might as well ask are there PEDs that are better suited to strongman stuff versus bodybuilding or are they all equal? I know training is king and AAS are to give that extra edge. I’m a bit jealous of the farmers walks I’m trying to get my gym to purchase those and a super yolk and some throw bags but they are more for powerlifting than strongman. I’m probably going to have to buy the equipment myself and store them at the gym for all the others who want to compete, or have aspirations to become a strongman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youts
08-21-2020, 09:01 PM
From my reading on AAS and by talking to competitors, seems DECA is the preferred AAS, Halo 2 started 2 weeks before comp, ratio of test to deca at 2:1.
Glutathione helps with the toxicity of some of the harsher AAS.

We made a lot of our own, stones we made with balloons and plaster of Paris, there are calculations on how much concrete to use, the cans we use are metal and filled with concrete.

I enjoy it a lot, wish I would have started it sooner! HGH is another compound to look into, expensive to run, but worth it.

dykstra91
08-21-2020, 09:26 PM
From my reading on AAS and by talking to competitors, seems DECA is the preferred AAS, Halo 2 started 2 weeks before comp, ratio of test to deca at 2:1.
Glutathione helps with the toxicity of some of the harsher AAS.

We made a lot of our own, stones we made with balloons and plaster of Paris, there are calculations on how much concrete to use, the cans we use are metal and filled with concrete.

I enjoy it a lot, wish I would have started it sooner! HGH is another compound to look into, expensive to run, but worth it.

I’m pretty much within my first year of AAS only run test E is deca something someone new to gear should run? My strength is coming pretty quick, not to sound conceited because I think there is a lot of room to grow but for my first year of working out I think I’m at a pretty good place I’m looking at getting a 600lbs deadlift by early next year. Hopefully March or so. I can do a 175lbs stone with no tacky also being brand new to stones. Haven’t tried farmers or yolk unfortunately but am looking into purchasing either the equipment or stuff needed to build it. I’ve read that HGH is good for top level athletes trying to gain any bit of ground but not so good for intermediates, what are your thoughts on that? Thanks for the advice.

Leoterelli250
08-21-2020, 09:44 PM
There’s a strong man gym near me and honestly even if you arnt into it I would advise anyone with a gym like that close to them
to go once in a while. I try to go once every two weeks to train with the atlas stones and other equipment. Lifting objects like that where the weight is displaced differently can be a huge benefit to anyone’s strength. Also, I know a few strong men that prefer some deca due to it being a more “wet”
compound for joints but many still run tren like crazy

Youts
08-21-2020, 11:55 PM
Fully agree with you, the benefits of strongman training really transfer well to every lift in the gym. The same cannot be said for gym lifts to strongman lifts, there's no way to really train for stones other than to do stones, though I'd highly recommend doing some high rep bicep work before jumping in to strengthen those tendons. Bicep tears are notorious in strongman.

Youts
08-22-2020, 12:03 AM
I’m pretty much within my first year of AAS only run test E is deca something someone new to gear should run? My strength is coming pretty quick, not to sound conceited because I think there is a lot of room to grow but for my first year of working out I think I’m at a pretty good place I’m looking at getting a 600lbs deadlift by early next year. Hopefully March or so. I can do a 175lbs stone with no tacky also being brand new to stones. Haven’t tried farmers or yolk unfortunately but am looking into purchasing either the equipment or stuff needed to build it. I’ve read that HGH is good for top level athletes trying to gain any bit of ground but not so good for intermediates, what are your thoughts on that? Thanks for the advice.

I'd say stick with the test as long as it's working, not sure on your age, do you plan on PCT or cruising? Even a low dose of DECA or NPP weekly would do wonders for your joints. HGH isn't something I'd go into lightly either, I love it for healing and my sleep is fantastic, but it's expensive and I'd wait till you get really serious into competitions if that's your goal.

100mg weekly of DECA or NPP would be a good addition just for the benefits for the joints. They are also a good AAS once you start to stack with your test.

Personally I never train with tacky, it takes the grip strength out, and you'd be amazed training without, how easy those stones are come comp time with tacky.

dykstra91
08-22-2020, 12:10 AM
I'd say stick with the test as long as it's working, not sure on your age, do you plan on PCT or cruising? Even a low dose of DECA or NPP weekly would do wonders for your joints. HGH isn't something I'd go into lightly either, I love it for healing and my sleep is fantastic, but it's expensive and I'd wait till you get really serious into competitions if that's your goal.

100mg weekly of DECA or NPP would be a good addition just for the benefits for the joints. They are also a good AAS once you start to stack with your test.

Personally I never train with tacky, it takes the grip strength out, and you'd be amazed training without, how easy those stones are come comp time with tacky.

36 I got into the game late but am trying to make up ground by having a crazy work ethic and trying to check all the important boxes, diet, sleep, recovery, and AAS.I am on TRT something is causing my pituitary gland to not work right so my test levels are a low 100’s so I’m always on a cruising dose of test I’m running cycles of it been thinking about npp but have heard horror stories about deca so am cautious. The big thing is I don’t know enough yet to really dig in and am worried about causing real harm by missing something important.

Youts
08-22-2020, 11:25 AM
You are doing it right, learn first then jump in. Start gradually, blood work, and don't forget to keep AI on hand. Is the best advice I had been given before starting.

dykstra91
08-22-2020, 11:29 AM
You are doing it right, learn first then jump in. Start gradually, blood work, and don't forget to keep AI on hand. Is the best advice I had been given before starting.

Yeah, I’m grabbing some of that here in a couple weeks I’m starting to plan out my next cycle other than test. I think I’m going to run a small dose cycle of deca you have me Intrigued. I’m probably going to put the cycle together then post it in the forum for the pros to take a peak at and give advice. Probably post any pertinent info to make sure something isn’t missing. Like body weight maybe take bloodwork ahead of cycle than plan on bloodwork throughout. Thanks you for the advice I really appreciate it.

Youts
08-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Anytime! There are a lot more knowledgeable guys here on that stuff than me, but I've tried to soak up as much as I can from the experts!

dykstra91
08-22-2020, 07:20 PM
Anytime! There are a lot more knowledgeable guys here on that stuff than me, but I've tried to soak up as much as I can from the experts!

Yeah you can tell there are some bona fide experts here. I really try to research from multiple places and try to find the common understandings of stuff it’s less likely that misinformation will happen. I finally talk to the head of the gym I go to and they are gonna go and buy the log, farmers/frame combo, and yolk once the owner gives them the go ahead after covid. So I’m not 100% I read it but you used deca? If so how did it work for you, did you notice a major improvement in strength? Again thanks for talking about this stuff with me, it’s awesome to actually talk with people who are interested.

Youts
08-22-2020, 09:33 PM
Ran a few cycles of deca, ran a few cycles of NPP, and prefer DECA, this time I added anadrol at the beginning and really gave me some good strength gains at the front half of my cycle, adding in dbol on the back half. I've ran Halo, love that compound, though it's really harsh on the liver.

I've ran cheque drops, but wasn't as impressed with those, people talked em up like they were the end all to be all for agressiveness and strength, but all it really did was make me cramp up horribly!

My knees are shit and I can certainly tell a difference on the Deca.

Definitely keep caber on hand, and some nolva and arimidex. I was running HGH but had to stop for a bit due to financial reasons, but I will say I felt great on it, and can't wait to start it up again.

Keep an eye on your CNS, strongman training really batters your central nervous system, take a rest day if you feel you need it I tried training through those days and it just lead to injuries.

I can't stress enough the importance of knowing your body and it's limits, you can get away with a lot doing bodybuilding style training, not so with strongman, it's a whole other animal.

Seen a lot of guys who train with the standard weight equipment come and try, and fail.

That's awesome the owner is willing to invest in the equipment!

mastermonster
11-17-2020, 03:52 AM
I did one strongman meet years ago at age 52 less than a year after shoulder replacement. Yes, I'm stronger than I am smart! I was a professional powerlifter and had always wanted to do a strongman meet. I found a group with all the equipment about 125 miles away. I drove there the 2 weekends before the meet to get familiar with the apparatus...GLAD I DID! I got 3rd in the meet and didn't get injured. That was my goals. To place and not end my powerlifting career! I loved it! Next to 2 a days in football in August in Alabama it was the hardest thing I'd ever done! I walked away with a whole different level of respect for strongman athletes!