PDA

View Full Version : Paralysis

dontwork
02-02-2013, 12:21 AM
One of my bros, a member of our community at large, has been diagnosed with Guillain–Barré syndrome.

Anyone know anything about this.

In a matter of a day he went from a tingling sensation to paralyzed and can't walk. Currently in the ICU.

Docs haven't offered up much of a prognosis yet.

ShortnWide
02-02-2013, 01:30 AM
I don't know anything about the syndrome but I wish your friend the best in his recovery.

gator-mclusky
02-03-2013, 06:24 AM
Thats a trip. Maybe thats what an ex of mine had. She was walking one day...tingling and all and the next she was paralized from the neck down. After a couple wks she was in a wheel chair able to move from the waist up. It took a few months before she was walking again. No tellin if its the same but I feel for your bud. Thats gatta be scary as Hell!!!!!!!!! Prayers for him!

grim
02-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Hope he recovers fully.
BTW it's kinda cool as paralyzed limbs start to wake up ;)

grizzlylongcut
02-03-2013, 07:51 PM
sorry about your friend,heres a small overview of what it is,for those interested
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000684.htm

Fullback40
02-03-2013, 07:54 PM
damn bro i feel for ya, prayers are definitely with him, does it have to do with his nerve control?

wallycn
02-03-2013, 11:26 PM
That is some scary shit. Sorry to hear that.

1tuffcookie
02-05-2013, 05:14 PM
I also know a bro on our side who got this about 2 yrs. ago and he was doing well until he relapsed again and is flat out again. That shit is crazy and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. He competed and was ready to go pro and then blam!!! he got hit with that shit. layed him out and all his muscles attrifyed in like 2 weeks.... Thoughts and prayers are with your buddy...

gator-mclusky
02-06-2013, 03:22 AM
This is crazy stuff. I couldnt imagine. I feel for those that out of the blue get diognosed with MS or ALS. Like Ozzys son Jack, out of the blue he finds out he has MS setting in. No cure. I Pray your bud gets better man!

PAiN
02-06-2013, 06:22 AM
Very scary bro.... Prayers go out to him and his family!!!!

dontwork
02-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Just flew up to see him and just got back home... bro is hurtin. Crazy to see him laid out like that.

Learned a little more about this disease. He had the flew pretty bad for a few weeks, then all of a sudden he started getting over the flew but that's when the tingling feet started. Within 4 days he was paralyzed and in the ICU.

What happens is, your immune system gets "confused" and instead of fighting the flu virus it starts to attack your nerves. Totally fucking debilitating.

dontwork
02-06-2013, 09:17 PM
It's known as French Polio.

bigtruckguy
02-14-2013, 02:06 AM
hope everything goes well for you friend with a speedy recovery.

PAiN
02-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Just flew up to see him and just got back home... bro is hurtin. Crazy to see him laid out like that.

Learned a little more about this disease. He had the flew pretty bad for a few weeks, then all of a sudden he started getting over the flew but that's when the tingling feet started. Within 4 days he was paralyzed and in the ICU.

What happens is, your immune system gets "confused" and instead of fighting the flu virus it starts to attack your nerves. Totally fucking debilitating.

Wow that is crazy bro.

How's he doing now? Is it treatable? Did they say how long this would last or is it permanent?

dontwork
02-14-2013, 09:11 PM
He made it out of intensive care and then was brought back in. No cure. Some people recover and some don't. It's so rare they know very little about it.

Pretty harsh to watch someone you've trained with, someone big and strong - melt away uncontrollably.