PDA

View Full Version : EZ-Bar Preacher vs. Incline Dumbbell Curl

darksidefitness
02-05-2013, 12:01 AM
EZ-Bar Preacher vs. Incline Dumbbell Curl

Both versions of the curl work your biceps, but which is better at targeting the highly sought-after peak of the biceps?

By Jimmy Peña, MS, CSCS

EZ-Bar Preacher Curl

We all know how critical using various angles is to gaining mass and strength for major bodyparts like legs and back, but too many people fail to extend such importance to the smaller muscle groups. Your biceps, like your triceps, grow and respond best when you train them with various exercises from a myriad of angles. The preacher curl places your arms in front of your body, allowing you to blast your biceps with incredible isolation.

The EZ-bar, as many of you will attest, is slightly easier on the wrists than the straight bar counterpart. Make sure your armpits rest comfortably atop the bench and your triceps are flush against the pad. At the top of the movement don’t come up so high that your elbows rise off the bench, but keep your forearms short of perpendicular to the floor in the top position. Likewise, keep a slight bend at the bottom of the rep to ensure constant tension.

Incline Dumbbell Curl

Much like the preacher curl, the dumbbell curl done on an incline bench changes the angle of the arms to the body. You want to angle the bench at about 30-45 degrees backward for optimal pull on the biceps while not placing too much stress on the shoulder joint, especially in the start position when the dumbbells are hanging toward the floor. You don’t need a ton of weight on this exercise to stimulate and innervate the relatively small biceps muscles. As opposed to the standing dumbbell curl, the incline dumbbell curl eliminates much of the momentum and body english, helping target the muscle with unrivaled accuracy. The dumbbells also allow you to determine muscular imbalances between arms, as you’re unable to do during the barbell versions of the curl. Finally, during the incline dumbbell curl you can work both arms simultaneously or alternate arms depending on your preference.

Advantage: Incline Dumbbell Curl

Although we applaud and recommend both these exercises for complete upper-arm development, for hitting the peak, the incline dumbbell curl is your clear winner. Here’s why: The peak of the biceps, or the highest point of the muscle during a double-biceps pose, is actually the long head, which is best targeted by the incline curl because of the prestretch that’s placed upon it at the start of the move. Conversely, the long head is under much less stress during the preacher curl when your arms are in front of your torso. The preacher curl, while not superior for the peak, hits the shorter inner head. For that reason we recommend you utilize both exercises in your biceps routine.

1tuffcookie
02-05-2013, 02:46 PM
I like to superset EZ bar curls with DB preacher curls. After I'm done I can't even adjust my earphones cause of the pump.....

jdb3
02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
...I havent done these in a while, I have turned into a barbell curl and alt. DB curl guy

bugse2342
02-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Good read, Can't wait to hit the curls now.

darksidefitness
02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
GLAD YOU LIKE IT. I'm not into the curling too much but definitely the exercise and the movement have a place in everybody's routine.

tmansd
02-08-2013, 07:16 PM
I like both exercises but for peak I prefer the incline dumbbell curls due to the extra stretch at the bottom and the additional contraction at the top when I twist the wrist in. The EZ-Bar curl limits the amount of wrist twist which limits the bicep contraction at the top. I like the EZ-Bar to superset with or to burn out at the end. If I'm going to use a preacher bench for bicep peak I stick with dumbbells or straight barbells to hit the peak.

metromuscle
02-08-2013, 08:35 PM
I still love doing the good 'ol straight bar (cheat) barbell curls, followed by the preachers; but when it comes to preachers, I'll take a standing preacher bench any day over the seated. I seem to be able to do the movement smoother while standing leaning against that bench and can take more weight. Just my opinoin.

gator-mclusky
02-09-2013, 03:50 AM
I never liked incline DB curls. hate em actually. Just doesnt feel right to me. That being said, I agree they are useful. I prefer Preachers though. Love em. Its a comfort thing for me I guess. Good read.

bhcolex50x
02-09-2013, 08:27 AM
nice write up bro

darklord
03-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Straight bar

Greenegorilla2
03-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Good read bro, gotta love curls!