PDA

View Full Version : Miami's Steroids Case Just Keeps Growing

PAiN
02-08-2013, 01:53 AM
February 6, 2013 12:40 PM ET
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/photo/2012/0924/braun_ryan_g_mp_640.jpg&w=640&h=360

Ryan Braun's name appeared in records kept by Biogenesis, a report by Yahoo's Tim Brown and Jeff Passan (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ryan-braun-s-name-listed-in-biogenesis-clinic-records-235650670.html) revealed, marking the latest star player to be connected to the controversial Miami anti-aging clinic.

Braun, along with Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and Orioles infielder Danny Valencia, had their names turn up on a list that includes Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera, and Cesar Carrillo, all three named in the Biogenesis exposé (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/49258/baseballs-ped-problem-wont-seem-to-go-away) published last month by the Miami New Times. In that initial article, Braun's name was redacted from the records published by the New Times, while the names of Cervelli and Valencia were cut off. Unlike with Rodriguez and other players profiled in the New Times piece, the names of Braun, Cervelli, and Valencia weren't listed next to any performance-enhancing drug orders.

Still, the report has raised new suspicions in the Biogenesis case, particularly revolving around Braun. In 2011, the star Brewers outfielder tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone. The positive test was ultimately thrown out after an investigation revealed a breach of protocol by those in charge of handling the test. After winning the National League MVP in 2011, Braun put up comparable numbers in 2012.

In a statement following the release of the Yahoo report, Braun said his representatives approached Biogenesis proprietor Anthony Bosch as a consultant while MLB investigated his positive test.

During the course of preparing for my successful appeal last year, my attorneys, who were previously familiar with Tony Bosch, used him as a consultant. More specifically, he answered questions about T/E ratio and possibilities of tampering with samples. There was a dispute over compensation for Bosch’s work, which is why my lawyer and I are listed under ‘moneys owed’ and not on any other list.
I have nothing to hide and have never had any other relationship with Bosch.
I will fully cooperate with any inquiry into this matter.

As FanGraphs writer and former attorney Wendy Thurm writes (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/brauns-explanation-on-biogenesis-is-entirely-plausible/), it's common for lawyers to retain one or more experts for consultation while preparing for an arbitration case such as Braun's.

Cervelli and Valencia also released statements denying any violations of baseball's anti-drug policy.
"Following my foot injury in March 2011, I consulted with a number of experts, including Biogenesis clinic, for legal ways to aid my rehab and recovery," Cervelli said. "I purchased supplements that I am certain were not prohibited by MLB.''

Valencia responded, "I am shocked and troubled that my name is in any way connected to this story. I have never met or spoken to anyone connected with Biogenesis."
Meanwhile, Major League Baseball officials have asked the New Times for records obtained in its story. As of Tuesday, New Times editor Chuck Strouse said the paper hadn't decided how to respond to the request. Since MLB isn't a government body, it has no subpoena power, meaning the paper could refuse the league's request without any repercussions. Baseball could seek assistance if the New Times refuses its request, knowing that government has a rich (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2011/04/barry-bonds-guilty.html) history (http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-06-18/local/35459266_1_clemens-case-verdict-campaign-finance-charges) of intervening (http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/03/17/steroids.baseball/) in such cases.

Racelife
02-08-2013, 02:51 AM
And this is why professionals should be allowed to use enhancing meds. Nobody seems to mind when players get injured and torn tendons muscles etc. they have the best doctors and as long as its controlled and monitored I don't see an issue. He'll for that matter legalize it so the rest of us can buy it from main stream pharmacies - now that would be too much like logic.

Hartattakk
02-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Dont worry we will see professional sports become legalize PEDs sooner or later, way over due.

315 BEAST
02-14-2013, 04:40 AM
And this is why professionals should be allowed to use enhancing meds. Nobody seems to mind when players get injured and torn tendons muscles etc. they have the best doctors and as long as its controlled and monitored I don't see an issue. He'll for that matter legalize it so the rest of us can buy it from main stream pharmacies - now that would be too much like logic.
I agree 100%........ Sooner or later they r going to have to do something about it there is way too many athletes using right now. They can't keep them all out of the HOF or suspend all of them so just fucking legalize it already

Ms Tug Pilot
02-14-2013, 08:01 AM
I really aint understanding why they take it while playing anyway Josh Hamilton jus signed 125MILLION for 5 yrs why jepordize that type of money or even 5 million?? Give it up after a few yrs buy all the aas u want build your gym n train like crazy!!

315 BEAST
02-15-2013, 04:45 AM
^^^ well it's obvious they take it while playing to get better stats bigger contracts more money I don't think they really give a shit about getting all jacked

dontwork
02-15-2013, 05:12 AM
^^^^And with lots of them juicing, you have to choose between joining them so the playing field is leveled, or not and being left out of competing on the same level.

To me it seems obvious that those in power are not serious about keeping guys clean. It's not that difficult to perform random testing during the season. So what if someone juices during the off season when the season is so bloody long? Even if they juice in the off season and discontinue use prior to the season starting as to avoid testing positive at the beginning, the season is so long that any gains made would fade away pretty quick and their stats would noticeably fall off a cliff.

Either implement a blood test once a week for the 24 week season, or stop all testing and lets move on.

Question, what if a player has a legal script for test? Can he pin enough to get him to the very upper limit of the normal range and not get cracked for PEDs? (Assume his doc approved that dose)

315 BEAST
02-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Prescription or not its still-considered a banned substance to MLB so they would be fucked either way

dontwork
02-15-2013, 05:25 AM
Well fuck. I guess I won't try out...

rippedgolfer
02-15-2013, 08:49 PM
In MMA they are allowed to use test for therapeutic reasons, i.e. TRT, but not sure about baseball.

dontwork
02-16-2013, 12:38 AM
What bout PGA?

315 BEAST
02-16-2013, 01:11 AM
I don't think u can in PGA either VJ Singh just got in trouble for it not to long ago

rippedgolfer
02-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Lol. Most guys on the PGA tour probably need TRT. Vijay was involved with the deer antler deal that ray Lewis heat over.

OaklandRaiders
02-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Tiger woods got an eye surgery so his sight would be 20 20 increasing his advantage of playing better. Idk and Ricky Williams decided he wanted to smoke a lil weed and then come back and play and manny said whatever I like juice and like smack the ball around now he don't play.so in the end just for the safety of the young teens I think we are doing alright a lil integrity and law for the younger ones that's what makes this country the best. I know all over the place gotta love add