PDA

View Full Version : tips for engaging chest.

af86
02-09-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm having trouble engaging my pecks on chest exercises.
my lats and tri's will be sore the next day but not my chest.
Even on fly movements they seem to be secondary.
Please help!!!!

kuntrykok
02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
I have long arms, so my chest takes a lot of isolated movements to hit it right. High rep dumbbells, dips and a lot of close grip bench and tri exercises seem to get it sore the next day.

af86
02-10-2013, 12:20 AM
So really hit chest isolation. Alot

kuntrykok
02-10-2013, 02:51 AM
I just find when I do chest, if I do the above mentioned movements with ISO and high reos every other workout it really gets me sore. I'll do heavy compound movements every other chest workout to keep my strength up. Again, this is just what works for me as everyone is different. Good luck bro! Keep at it... you'll figure out what works for you.

dontwork
02-10-2013, 03:18 AM
I'm having trouble engaging my pecks on chest exercises.
my lats and tri's will be sore the next day but not my chest.
Even on fly movements they seem to be secondary.
Please help!!!!

Make sure your going bar to chest or DB to chest or super wide spread on any flyes.

On any chest press, the pecs are engaged on the lowest portion of the movement while the triceps take over on the upper half.

Same thing on shoulder presses. I see guys only going to 90 degrees on DB shoulder presses and that is really not engaging the delts enough, it's mostly triceps again. Gotta go deep.

jdb3
02-10-2013, 04:37 AM
take out fly movements. Get on smith, about 75% intensity and experiment with different grips , I done this for a while and found I got a better squeeze off slightly closer and bar postition lower (under sternum) and slightly closer hand grip. Remember to put effort in the eccentric part of the movement . Every body gets a different squeeze out of chest, find what works for you, after perfection on smith, on to free weighted.

dontwork
02-11-2013, 05:49 PM
X10 on putting focussed effort into the eccentric part of the move.

Try heavy negatives with a spotter.

jdb3
02-11-2013, 06:32 PM
X10 on putting focussed effort into the eccentric part of the move.

Try heavy negatives with a spotter.

Eccentric resistance; the decontraction is where about 55% of fiber damage is done....on certian extecises I will go around 80% intensity till failure on positive, then assisted on positive until failure on negative....3 warm up sets, one real working set for main exercise. short, heavy and brutal ITS KILLER!

PAiN
02-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Dumbbells bro.

Incline dumbbells are a staple of my routine.

When I am cutting I use alof of cable crossovers and that shreds my chest to pieces.

dontwork
02-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Dumbbells bro.

Hells to the ya. And get that bench angled nice and steep. No pussin out and setting it on the lowest position. DBs touch your chest too.

315 BEAST
02-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Hells to the ya. And get that bench angled nice and steep. No pussin out and setting it on the lowest position. DBs touch your chest too.
I feel like if its to steep it is mostly working your shoulders I hardly feel it in my chest some where in the middle should be fine.

dontwork
02-13-2013, 04:52 PM
I try to match the angle of the incline bar bench - which, ya is middle way up the adjustable bench. But I see lots a guys use it in its lowest position. And then they further reduce the angle with too much back arch.

sensitivenips
02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
if you got some minutes to spare check out this video of kai greene helping an amatuer bb on chest day, really good pointers here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgKVMIBKhHg&playnext=1&list=PLN3KXbjEv1ILj6h6GTp9_w_4jOZrPJLRA&feature=results_video

jdb3
02-13-2013, 07:03 PM
kia has flawless incline presses. makes it look so easy and smooth

bigtruckguy
02-17-2013, 03:15 PM
thats some goos stuff... I have always liked him

Enigmatic707
02-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Dumbbells bro.

When I am cutting I use alof of cable crossovers and that shreds my chest to pieces.

I have to agree with both vehemently.

Another point- flat bench is the most over rated movement in the gym..

Incline DB, one arm cable cross overs are a fucking beast to conquer.. And decline DB flys with heavy weight are amazing at building thickness too.

af86
02-18-2013, 02:25 PM
I now start my cheat routine off with heavy cable cross
Overs then dumbbells incline press. Keep up the
Info guys good stuff in here!