PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mentzer heavy duty/Dorian Yates style training

bulldogger
12-18-2020, 03:50 AM
Hello

I was wondering if anyone here that uses gear uses either of these type programs. I have found them seem to work decent particularly when i was natural and I was hoping to connect with others who use the program maybe give some thoughts on what I am doing

Thanks

JohnMcc
12-19-2020, 01:22 PM
Hello

I was wondering if anyone here that uses gear uses either of these type programs. I have found them seem to work decent particularly when i was natural and I was hoping to connect with others who use the program maybe give some thoughts on what I am doing

Thanks

I used more of a Dorian Yates style of training in college, it had some strongman, and DC training blended in. So my experience with it isn't by the book, not sure if that's hard line in the sand for you. If you want someone who ran the program to a T then my info might not be as supportive to your goals. In general I was on a lot of gear and had access to a ton of recover methods so it worked great for me. Nowadays my recovery methods are limited and very heavy training just ends up breaking me down.

If your joints can handle it I'd say go for it.

bulldogger
12-19-2020, 11:58 PM
Thanks bro. STill kind of figuring it out as I go. Never used gear until trt at 43 and then a couple cycles. Getting ready for my next one. Just watn to dial in training.

JohnMcc
12-20-2020, 04:50 AM
Thanks bro. STill kind of figuring it out as I go. Never used gear until trt at 43 and then a couple cycles. Getting ready for my next one. Just watn to dial in training.

Whether you go to failure in a low rep range or a high rep range, I believe that as long as you are within a rep of failure or to failure on sets you will stimulate near maximal muscle protein synthesis. It then becomes a question of what is your main goal for training, and then designing a program of progression for movements that will help you to reach your goal. I look forward to seeing your exercise log if you plan on doing one.

bulldogger
12-21-2020, 08:17 PM
Whether you go to failure in a low rep range or a high rep range, I believe that as long as you are within a rep of failure or to failure on sets you will stimulate near maximal muscle protein synthesis. It then becomes a question of what is your main goal for training, and then designing a program of progression for movements that will help you to reach your goal. I look forward to seeing your exercise log if you plan on doing one.

Best thing to say is more recomp. Some growth and power. More into a bulld like a muscular wrestler than dorian yates.

jrock645
12-21-2020, 08:35 PM
I used to do it a lot. I think it’s suitable as a short term plateau buster or change of pace, I don’t think it’s that well suited for the long haul. Too hard on the joints after a while, and it’s all intensity with little volume so progress is difficult after the initial stages. For what it’s worth, I found the Darden style of HIT to be far better than the Mentzer style. Higher frequency(which I’m a big believer in) and a potential for more volume(which I also think is really important).

bulldogger
12-22-2020, 01:09 AM

Hey bro I pmd you a question

JohnMcc
12-22-2020, 01:43 AM
Hey bro I pmd you a question

I checked my inbox and didn't see any new messages brother.

bulldogger
12-22-2020, 05:52 AM
I checked my inbox and didn't see any new messages brother.

Ill just ask part here. Are you a rep for xt labs or pomps place? i sent a couple quesitons.

JohnMcc
12-22-2020, 12:07 PM
Ill just ask part here. Are you a rep for xt labs or pomps place? i sent a couple quesitons.

I PMed you Bulldogger.

Plate Smacker
02-05-2021, 12:05 AM
I do a mixture. DC Training, mixed with Dorians principle of an all out set to death, if you have a partner, forced reps and negatives, then some Rest Pauses, a drop set.

The same thing many pros do if you watch some of their stuff.
Nick Walker, Iaim Valliere, and Hunter Labrada have some videos of them doing this.

Warm up efficiently, meaning a couple reps, move up weight. Not banging out a full set during warmup.
Save energy for the "Top Set" which is working weight.
This weight is logged.
The weight is something you can lift 8-12 reps.
Now rest 3-5 minutes
Now perform an all out set to failure.
Rack weight and rest 15 breaths.
Unrack and go to failure, should get half as many as first set.
Rack, rest 15 breaths, then final set with that weight.
Now do a "Back Off Set". Which is basically you drop the weight a bit, and your also breathing. As long as you get 15 breaths, then rep out the lighter weight to failure, or RPE8(RIR2) if you choose. I like leaving one in the Tank. RPE9 or RIR1. (Reps in Reserve)
I follow that for 3 weeks, adding weight or reps each week.
Then I do 2 weeks of higher rep stuff, higher volume stuff.

bulldogger
02-05-2021, 08:27 PM
I do a mixture. DC Training, mixed with Dorians principle of an all out set to death, if you have a partner, forced reps and negatives, then some Rest Pauses, a drop set.

The same thing many pros do if you watch some of their stuff.
Nick Walker, Iaim Valliere, and Hunter Labrada have some videos of them doing this.

Warm up efficiently, meaning a couple reps, move up weight. Not banging out a full set during warmup.
Save energy for the "Top Set" which is working weight.
This weight is logged.
The weight is something you can lift 8-12 reps.
Now rest 3-5 minutes
Now perform an all out set to failure.
Rack weight and rest 15 breaths.
Unrack and go to failure, should get half as many as first set.
Rack, rest 15 breaths, then final set with that weight.
Now do a "Back Off Set". Which is basically you drop the weight a bit, and your also breathing. As long as you get 15 breaths, then rep out the lighter weight to failure, or RPE8(RIR2) if you choose. I like leaving one in the Tank. RPE9 or RIR1. (Reps in Reserve)
I follow that for 3 weeks, adding weight or reps each week.
Then I do 2 weeks of higher rep stuff, higher volume stuff.

Going to give that a try. I have been doing the 10 rest breaths ill give 15 a try.