PDA

View Full Version : no flat bench?

flash83
02-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Some douch at the gym told me that decline and incline were all a chest needs. Flat bench was a waste

315 BEAST
02-21-2013, 11:54 PM
That could be true depending on what other chest exercises u are doing .... Pec dec, cables, dips, dumbbells etc will all work the middle of your chest but if your benching I would recommend u throw flat bench in there too

halfApint
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
double post :mad:

metromuscle
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
I'll venture to say that same douche-bag will also tell you that squats aren't necessary for the legs. Just do leg presses, etc. Yeah right.

halfApint
02-22-2013, 12:10 AM
I had shoulder surgery when I was 17, flat bench or incline hurts my shoulder ...

I dont flat bench at all, just dumbells ... I dont know if its just me but it puts a lot less strain on my shoulder

call me a pussy but I gatta do what I gatta do

Chest is considered probably the #1 staple in BB and power lifting, at least when people are trying to talk about
their manhood, however its also one of the least important

bhcolex50x
02-22-2013, 12:28 AM
valid point about the "other exercise" theory. pec dec and flys do a solid job on mid pec. tho I'm with y'all. bench or db bench is a must i rotate every few weeks between the 2

beanlicker
02-22-2013, 03:24 AM
Flat bench puts an incredible amount of strain on your shoulders and if you have shoulder issues you can still build your chest without doing flat bench press.

jdb3
02-22-2013, 03:38 AM
bench presses are the original chest builder, thats why people defend it. I completely agree with beanlicker, a well rounded chest can be built without a flat bench. ...many different ways, even with out a any type of bench! I have seen guys competing with a shoulder injury just do isolation movements for chest and fill out great.

I personally like the bench press alot, incline too. I do stop at the 90 degree though, this takes off unessacrry strain on the cuff and the chest can still be squeezed with proper grip/elbow and bar postition.

jdb3
02-22-2013, 03:42 AM
oh, I am currently training a guy now with a fucked up shoulder that refuses to quite training for doctor, bench presses would bring better results faster I think, but it can be done with out free weight bench movements, although not easy. short iso movements, its not as effective but can be done

halfApint
02-22-2013, 04:23 AM
bench presses are the original chest builder, thats why people defend it. I completely agree with beanlicker, a well rounded chest can be built without a flat bench. ...many different ways, even with out a any type of bench! I have seen guys competing with a shoulder injury just do isolation movements for chest and fill out great.

I personally like the bench press alot, incline too. I do stop at the 90 degree though, this takes off unessacrry strain on the cuff and the chest can still be squeezed with proper grip/elbow and bar postition.

That is actually what I was going to type before I started and then forgot! It's not that chest isn't important, its the guys who MUST hit (or bounce - common you've seen it too!) the bar off their pecs to
show everyone in the gym how strong they are! I literally feel like I can hear the guys in the gym mumbling what a bitch ass I am because I go 90 degrees!

davethaflave
02-22-2013, 04:35 AM
i on the other hand go all the way down without bouncing it off my chest. I guess its different strokes for different folks.

halfApint
02-22-2013, 05:37 AM
Not saying one way is correct by any means! It's just very different for someone like myself 5'7 @ 170lbs touching their chest compared to someone thats
5'7 @ 210-230 and thick

i on the other hand go all the way down without bouncing it off my chest. I guess its different strokes for different folks.

beanlicker
02-22-2013, 05:39 AM

Although you can use the full range of motion to execute a bench press, it does not mean you should as the range of motion of our joints is often different from range of motion needed to fully exert your muscles in an exercise while preventing joint injury.

Jdb3 and HalfApint are right in that the 90 degree rule in bench press is the bio-mechanically correct technique, and assures the proper range of motion to reach and affect the proper muscle group with minimum risk of injury. While some joints do have a greater range of motion capability, this does not mean that we use the entire range during exercise. Although our shoulders are capable of circumduction, we don’t do weight bearing exercise swinging our arms around in circles. The reason for that is because our joint's range of motion is often different from the range of motion needed for an exercise and proper range of motion can prevent joint injury.

halfApint
02-22-2013, 07:25 AM
A lot of guys also dont realize that lowering even 225 to 90 degrees and stopping takes significantly more strength
than lowering it onto your chest which can cause you to pause/rest for a split second making the muscle stop flexing (think ab routines)

Also many people injury themselves or tear a pec from that split second that muscle relaxes. Dave and flash i am in no way saying that
my/your or any other way is proper nor incorrect, just throwing my 0.02c out there

jdb3
02-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Some douch at the gym told me that decline and incline were all a chest needs. Flat bench was a waste

flat bench is not a waste, who ever told you that is a waste of intelligence

srilankanmuscle
02-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Flat bench puts an incredible amount of strain on your shoulders and if you have shoulder issues you can still build your chest without doing flat bench press.

So true.

509iron
02-23-2013, 01:42 AM
I had shoulder surgery also and can not do any benching or overhead shoulder presses with the bar. Dumbells have become my best friend. I probably could work my way back up to doing movements with the bar with weight I use to work out with... but absolutley will not due to the risk of re- injury. Down time after surgery is almost as bad as being in prison.
I had shoulder surgery when I was 17, flat bench or incline hurts my shoulder ...

I dont flat bench at all, just dumbells ... I dont know if its just me but it puts a lot less strain on my shoulder

call me a pussy but I gatta do what I gatta do

Chest is considered probably the #1 staple in BB and power lifting, at least when people are trying to talk about
their manhood, however its also one of the least important

metromuscle
02-23-2013, 01:58 AM
Gotta realize there are those who can't flat bench with the bar for injury reasons, perfectly understandable.

halfApint
02-24-2013, 10:00 PM
I had shoulder surgery also and can not do any benching or overhead shoulder presses with the bar. Dumbells have become my best friend. I probably could work my way back up to doing movements with the bar with weight I use to work out with... but absolutley will not due to the risk of re- injury. Down time after surgery is almost as bad as being in prison.

feel you on that bro, I had 6 months in a sling. My arm was 12" when I finally took it out. The physical therapist had to "separate" my bicep from
the position it was in for the last 6 months. I could feel muscle fibers tearing as he forced my arm down and I was dripping sweat! fuck fuckfuck that
never again

easy
02-25-2013, 01:47 AM
You need that flat bench wether w/dumbbells or barbell