PDA

View Full Version : Help please! arms are lacking in proportion to chest,back and legs because of football workouts

Fullback40
02-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Sup guys,
I need some advice..My arms are proportionally a lot smaller compared to my chest and back.. iv had this problem for awhile and im sure its from power lifting and football, but iv tried doing many iso lifts and different things to make them grow but for some reason they just wont. I think one problem is when i was younger every time i did a bicep movement i wold curl my forearms, so for the longest time i would lift biceps and my forearms would give before i even felt it in my biceps...
Also i see guys all the time when there doing curls able to have there arms facing perpendicular to the floor..but my arms naturally hang out to the side (i get ragged on a lot like im trying to walk around like im big)...and honestly i hate it, i try as hard as i can to get my elbows in but there is always a gap between my elbows and body because my lats..could this be it? and if so how could i counter this?

Right now were in a 4 day split...with Monday and Thursday being Legs/back and Tuesday and Friday being Heavy shoulders/chest.....and on Wednesday we do agility, conditioning etc...each day usually starts with a heavy power lift then were go into fast paced almost circuits for the rest of the lift.

So if you guys could please give me some advice on things to try for this? i know its not gonna help me with football but i want to start competing soon..so could you just tell me what you would do? thanks appreciate it.

beanlicker
02-22-2013, 05:44 PM
IMO, the true path to giant cannons is by building your triceps. Well-developed biceps look great, but you can't walk around hitting front double bi's all day long. Triceps are what fill up shirtsleeves. Flexed or not, triceps are the ticket to looking huge, no matter what you're doing.

With regards to biceps, you should lift heavy (and safe), do exercises for the biceps, that hit both heads, try to micro-tear the fibers through strength training. Then pump them up through high repetition.

If you are still having trouble try stretching your biceps and maybe deep tissue massage or foam roller may also assist in growth.

This is assuming that you are getting enough food, sleep, and lifting to grow. A properly administered cycle might help as well :)

bugse2342
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Beanlicker is right. Tricep makes up 2/3 of your upper arms, Close grip bench will put some mass on those puppies.

Fullback40
02-22-2013, 06:43 PM
u think immediately after chest days doing some high weight close grip and high volume pushdowns would be to much? i know after those days i dont feel that sore in the tricep area

sonofJOR-EL
02-22-2013, 09:27 PM
I normally bang out tri after chest but last day of my gym work week I hit kill my bi n tri

RockShawn
02-22-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm gonna try this next week. Can't hurt right? Stolen from ASF
Anabolic Steroid Forums: add one inchg to your arms! (by slyonepunch)

Ok guys, same old post but new title. I want to reach as many bro as possible, this is fucki... great stuff and imho you must try it! Even worked for my wife!

One Inch in One Week Arm Routine
Ok guy’s you most know this but just recap a little for those who don’t remember the ABC of bodybuilding. Your muscles don’t give a shit about how much weight’s on the bar. Check your damn ego at the gym door. Muscle responds to torque, to the amount of tension you’ll throw at them.
The name is bodybuilding, to build something you need quality raw materials (and every little extra that can be add to your toolbox!) The goal is to create some serious damage to your muscle fibers, then, feed those fibers with the right nutrient and finally, give them some rest! You grow in your sleep!!! This board can be really addictive, I don’t want to judge any of you but... try to spend more time in your bed!
Most people who want bigger arms focus on training their arms. Makes sense, right? The problem is that your body won’t allow so much disproportionate growth. In other words, if you don't train your big muscles like you legs and back hard enough to make them grow, your arms will not get so big.
So if you want big arms you need to train your legs and back hard.
There's another complication with focusing on your arm training. Most people end up over training and not only do their arms refuse to grow, they get smaller and weaker which is the total opposite of what we're trying to accomplish.
Why does this happen? Most people, when trying to specialize on their arms, increase the volume and intensity of their arm training. The problem is that their biceps and triceps already get a lot of work via back, chest and shoulder training.
So how can we focus on our biceps and triceps without falling into the trap of over training? By training smarter and harder and not necessarily working longer. I'm always amazed at the arm training routines I see in the magazines; 5 or 6 exercises for the biceps and the same or more for the triceps, and a total of 15 to 20 set of more. That's nuts!
In past post I talked about the importance of time under tension, (TUT) as opposed to the number of reps you do in a set and how most people do not get enough tension time for their muscles with each set they do. This routine forces you to get a time under tension that you are not used to, trust me!
It’s one of the keys to the success of this program.
If you have everything in place, your rest, nutrition, intensity and you aren't over training, you can add up to an inch on your arms in one week from the following routine.
Stop everything you’re doing right now and give this one an honest 1 week try.

For this one week, you'll do a full body routine, working your entire body three non consecutive days per week. For example, training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Set totals don't include warm ups
Squat - 2 x 10 – 12 (Fucking heavy!)
Pullover - 1 x 10 - 12
Dumbbell Flye - 1 x 10 - 12
Dumbbell Upright Row - 1 x 10 - 12
Arm Specialization Routine
Triceps
Dip - Bodyweight x 1 rep (If you can’t do it, you can go with low handle triceps station with feet on a Swiss ball but, honestly...it sucks big time!)
Triceps Pressdown 1 x 10 - 12 (6)
Biceps
Pull-up - Bodyweight x 1 rep (if unable to do it, you can go recline but if I was in your shoes I’ll focus on pull and chin more than on db or bb curl and db row... you must be able to move your bodyweight easily...DIPS INCLUDED! )
Barbell Curl - 1 x 10 - 12 (6)
That's it! Doesn't look like much, does it? Ah, but let me explain how you perform the arm specialization routine.
No deadlift here, your most heavy lift must be the squat. You can make a bridge week before you go back to your current workout. (Deadlift will be important then) If you want to try it, give me some feedback about your arms week and I’ll shoot you back with the one week bridge program.

For the dip and the pull-up, you perform the 1 rep in super slow. And I mean super slow.
Perform the positive portion of the rep first and take 30 seconds to complete it.
Then perform the negative and again take 30 seconds. The entire rep should take 60 seconds.
The next exercise (either the triceps pressdown or the barbell curl) is done in superset fashion. No rest for the wicked as they say, or those that want big arms, either.
Do a set to failure, failing around 10 to 12 reps. then, drop some weight and immediately do a drop set that gets you around another 6 reps. that’s it.
The work is very short but brutally intense.
Now, a lot of you may not be able to complete a 60 second rep on the pull up or the dip. That's fine, do what you can and try to extend the time in each of the next two workouts.
For those of you that are super strong (or if you get strong enough and go back to this routine later) you can try the ultimate one rep dip or pull-up.
In this version you start with the negative instead and you do the following:
Negative - 30 seconds
Positive - 30 seconds
Negative - 30 seconds
Now, some keys to making this work. Obviously, you have to be ready to work extremely hard. That shouldn't be a problem, as the routine is very, very short.
If you've been working out hard for awhile, or doing very long workouts, you'll probably get the most out of this routine by staying out of the gym for at least a week. If you’re currently on juice, you’re g2g
If your weights on some exercises started going backwards, that's a real clear sign that you need to get out of the gym and recharge.
You also have to get enough nutritious calories. Have a high carbs, (grape juice work like magic to me) high protein drink right after your workout, no fat after your workout for at least 2h
Minimize any other physical activity like cardio, brisk walk, basket ball etc. Get 6 meals a day with lots of protein and calories.
Arm Routine

Monday

Squat (10 – 12 reps) 2sets
Pullover (10 – 12 reps)
DB Flye (10 – 12 reps)
DB Upright Row (10 – 12 reps)

Dip (30 seconds up 30 seconds down)
Triceps Pushdown

Pull Up (30 seconds up 30 down) X
Barbell Curl

Repeat on Wednesday and Friday.
After this routine, your arms are going to need a bit of a break to regroup, recharge, recover and grow…

ENJOY!

315 BEAST
02-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Not really buying in to this, but just my 2 cents

af86
02-22-2013, 10:13 PM
I hit my arms twice some times so I train them hard

RockShawn
02-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Not really buying in to this, but just my 2 cents

I'm in between DC blasts so I figure I don't have anything to lose. Ill measure with pics before and after. We'll see, it def could be a worthless hoax.

315 BEAST
02-23-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm in between DC blasts so I figure I don't have anything to lose. Ill measure with pics before and after. We'll see, it def could be a worthless hoax.
Hey I just don't thinks its possible but give it a run hope it works for ya. Make sure u let all of us know if it does so we can get jacked too lol

Fullback40
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Damn that sounds pretty crazy, not gonna be able to try it for awhile though

bigboithetank
02-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Yo fullback, this week I started my triceps workout with the close grip benches then some lying skull crushers. Also threw in some seated dips and overhead cable presses.

PAiN
02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
IMO, the true path to giant cannons is by building your triceps. Well-developed biceps look great, but you can't walk around hitting front double bi's all day long. Triceps are what fill up shirtsleeves. Flexed or not, triceps are the ticket to looking huge, no matter what you're doing.

With regards to biceps, you should lift heavy (and safe), do exercises for the biceps, that hit both heads, try to micro-tear the fibers through strength training. Then pump them up through high repetition.

If you are still having trouble try stretching your biceps and maybe deep tissue massage or foam roller may also assist in growth.

This is assuming that you are getting enough food, sleep, and lifting to grow. A properly administered cycle might help as well :)

Beanlicker is right. Tricep makes up 2/3 of your upper arms, Close grip bench will put some mass on those puppies.

I agree with this. Tri's is where it's at if you want big guns.