PDA

View Full Version : How long before the effects of TRT work

beanlicker
02-23-2013, 06:23 AM
We see this question asked a lot! I believe it's different for all men for a ton of reasons (see conclusion below) BUT there's been enough studied on it that some clinical guide lines can be established:

See this study:

ONSET OF EFFECTS OF TESTOSTERONE TREATMENT AND TIME SPAN UNTIL MAXIMUM EFFECTS ARE ACHIEVED.

Eur J Endocrinol. 2011 Jul 13;

Authors: Saad F, Aversa A, Isidori AM, Zafalon L, Zitzmann M, Gooren LJ

Objectives: Testosterone has a spectrum of effects on the male organism. This review attempts to determine, from published studies, the time-course of the effects induced by testosterone replacement therapy from their first manifestation until maximum effects are attained.

Design: Studies in PubMed on testosterone replacement so far providing information on time course.

Results:

Effects on sexual interest appear after 3 weeks plateauing at 6 weeks, no further increments beyond.

Changes in erections/ejaculations may require up to 6 months.

Effects on quality of life manifest within 3-4 weeks, but maximum benefits take longer.

Effects on depressive mood appear after 3-6 weeks with a maximum after 18-30 weeks.

First effects on erythropoiesis after 3 months, peaking at 9-12 months.

Prostate specific antigen and volume rise, marginally, plateauing at 12 months; further increase related to aging rather than therapy.

Effects on lipids appear after 4 weeks, maximal after 6-12 months.

Insulin sensitivity may improve within few days, but effects on gly***ic control become evident only after 3-12 months.

Changes in fat mass, lean body mass and muscle strength occur within 12-16 weeks, stabilize at 6-12 months, but marginally continue to improve over years.

Effects on inflammation occur within 3 to 12 weeks.

Effects on bone detectable after 6 months but continue at least for 3 years.

Conclusion: the time-course of the spectrum of effects of testosterone shows considerable variation, probably related to pharmacodynamics of the testosterone preparation. Genomic and non-genomic effects, androgen receptor polymorphism and intracellular steroid metabolism further contribute to such diversity.

PMID: 21753068 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

bigpimpdaddy
02-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Most of this article is true..But I am on TRT and can attest to the whole treatment...Everyone is different when comes to TRT and its reaction some
times has the reverse action as you might think it does...No going into to much detail because I could talk all day on this subject..But looking at some of the time lines they are not true... The reaction times vary from time to time..In so as the effect of edema once you inject the testosterone,the fluid can start showing the very next day or it may take a week..And the the changes in sexual interest can start within a week...But for the most part the article is correct...
Just thought I share my experence in this since I have been on TRT now for 3 years..And yes you never come off test,I just adjust my useage when it is time to have blood work done so my levels stay in the 300 to 1100 range... Make the mistake once of going in and trying to slip by the doc..Levels came back in the 2200 range ...Not good in the doctors eyes.. So I back off when its time...

james185
07-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info

james185
07-03-2015, 12:54 PM
And yes I can say I started to see some positive effects at 3 weeks. Positive in strength and mood. I am 55 and quality of life is improving with this.

ARROW
07-03-2015, 12:59 PM
sound about right