PDA

View Full Version : Online nutritional coaching

maul
02-25-2013, 04:52 AM
Just wanted to know everybody's opinion/ experience with online contest prep coaching.

Who did you hire as a coach?
Was it worth the cash?
What were the coach's strengths/ weaknesses?
How was the communication between you and your coach?
Would you rather opt for an in person trainer/ coach?

bugse2342
02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
I would love to hear feed back on this as well, I've been kicking the option back and forth from doing online or face to face.

maul
02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
I would love to hear feed back on this as well, I've been kicking the option back and forth from doing online or face to face.
I've never had any experience with either haha. The guys over at 3DMJ have some pretty good reviews, they cover your whole prep from posing to diet and workouts. However, they're geared towards the natty crowd and are against anything related to steroids. Not a good option for us haha

PAiN
02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
How to Pick an Online Nutrition Coach/Trainer

By: Jason “Scoobysnacks” Theobald

Owner: www.scoobyprep.com (http://www.scoobyprep.com/)

In this internet age we have just about any amount of information on any subject readily available at our fingertips. This can be invaluable and it can also be a nightmare. Picking a nutrition coach for your next physique endeavor falls along these same lines. I almost wish there was some national examination, or certification, that one MUST have and pay your membership dues, this would cut down on everyone and their brother thinking they can be a prep coach. Let me tell you—just because I make it look pretty damn easy, it most certainly IS NOT.

There are many things that go into making a GOOD prep coach; from being analytical; knowledge(able); setting up a system your clients can flourish under, to not panicking or making rash decisions. After all, that’s why the person hired the coach in the first place.

Without further ado, below is my list of things you should look at and consider when hiring a prep coach for your next physique show:

1) EXPERIENCE: This is a no brainer right? How many guys and gals have they prepped with the look you want? This is fairly easy to research because if they are good they will have testimonials and their clients will be singing their praises so finding people they have prepped should be pretty easy. Now if you want to be their guinea pig then by all means go for it, everyone needs to start somewhere, and if it’s free then by all means have at it, but usually with inexperience comes many more obstacles than necessary.

2) REPUTATION: In most industries your reputation is king. Does the coach you are considering have a good reputation? Do they have a reputation at all? It should be pretty easy to check around on message boards, Facebook and their book of current and past clients. Also consider the fact if they are used by other industry coaches, then that, in my opinion, is a pretty damn good indication of their abilities.

3) RESPONSE TIME: I’d definitely make sure you research this one. If it takes them more than a day to get back to your initial inquiry, just think how long it may take once they have your hard-earned cash. Think about when the diet gets tough and things need to be adjusted quickly you don’t want to have to wait days to get a response to a question or a decision that needs to be made. My best advice is to see how fast they respond to your inquiries before you hire them and ask past clients about their response time.

4) RESULTS: Review their clients and how they look. Are their people coming into shows shredded, in top condition and peaked properly? No brainer right? And if they can’t produce clients for you to see, that’s a red flag.

5) WALK THE WALK-TALK THE TALK: Now I realize there are great coaches out there that competed years ago and now they may be fat slobs, that’s fine. That doesn’t discount their knowledge, however, if your coach is still competing and their track record isn’t as proven, then you sure as shit should check out their competition pics. If your biggest struggle is dialing in your lower back or glutes, and the prep coach you are considering has the same problems, or many of their clients do, what makes you think they can solve that issue for you?

6) DIETING STYLES: Find out what their beliefs and strategies are about nutrition. Do they develop the diets based on the client and their unique characteristics or are they mainly a keto nutritionist or a high carb/low fat nutritionist. The best coaches will be schooled in all methods. They won’t force your physique to diet a way that is counterproductive to how your body processes macronutrients.

7) MACROS VS BUILD IT: If you are new to really tracking your foods, or following a plan, you better find out if the coach only prescribes macros or will actually build the diet for you food-by-food meal-by-meal. Otherwise you may hire a nutritionist and they shoot you something that looks like this 300P/150C/55F. If you are reading this and just went “I don’t know what in the hell to do with that” then you better make damn sure you check this about your prospective coach. I personally will work under either method. Some guys are very seasoned and merely want my eye and the macros controlled, they prefer to pick their foods on a daily basis and plug them into the guidelines I set and adjust. Many others need that strict adherence to a plan that is all written out meal-by-meal. Know which kind of person you are and ask this vital question.

8) COST: This is pretty self evident but some nutritionists cost more than others. Know your budget and don’t be afraid to ask about payment options. I know personally, given these tough economic times, I’ve been offering payment plans and I think my clients appreciate it. Like most things, you get what you pay for. I will say though early on in my career I charged a nominal fee, and I had many clients tell me it was way to low for the service and results I provided. I could go on and on about this, but Ill just say, you get what you pay for but you don’t need to get a second mortgage on your house to hire a great coach that will have you shredded.

9) SUPPLEMENT USAGE: That is a part of the “sport” and you should ask your coach whether his supplement advice is a mandatory thing or a recommendation situation. If you know you are light on the supplements, but your coach likes a lot of supplements, that could be a clash, so it’s best to discuss those things up front.

10) DEMEANOR: There are some coaches that are your biggest cheerleaders and some that believe desire has to come from within. So they will be there to adjust your diet, but they aren’t going to give you psychological evaluations at every turn to boost your morale. Better figure out what type of coach you need and make the right decision. I fall under a supportive tough love. But, I treat my clients like adults and it’s up to them to utilize my services that they hired me for – I don’t track them down, they have to do the work. I’ll be harsh when it’s needed, but I’ll praise them when it’s warranted.
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list by any means, but I think it’s a pretty solid list of the things you should consider when choosing your coach. After all, you are going to be in contact with this person for at least the next four months. If you are a coach, or an aspiring coach, and I pissed you off, sorry about your luck. If you read this and it didn’t piss you off, then you are probably well on your way to being a damn good coach in your own right, which is just fine by me. My aim was to arm the client, the consumer, with the knowledge to pick a great coach.

Vod321
02-25-2013, 07:50 PM
had dietician but never saw him face to face to dial me in. i suggest picking osmeone close to avoid doing dry out through pics

maul
02-25-2013, 10:11 PM
How to Pick an Online Nutrition Coach/Trainer

By: Jason “Scoobysnacks” Theobald

Owner: www.scoobyprep.com (http://www.scoobyprep.com/)

In this internet age we have just about any amount of information on any subject readily available at our fingertips. This can be invaluable and it can also be a nightmare. Picking a nutrition coach for your next physique endeavor falls along these same lines. I almost wish there was some national examination, or certification, that one MUST have and pay your membership dues, this would cut down on everyone and their brother thinking they can be a prep coach. Let me tell you—just because I make it look pretty damn easy, it most certainly IS NOT.

There are many things that go into making a GOOD prep coach; from being analytical; knowledge(able); setting up a system your clients can flourish under, to not panicking or making rash decisions. After all, that’s why the person hired the coach in the first place.

Without further ado, below is my list of things you should look at and consider when hiring a prep coach for your next physique show:

1) EXPERIENCE: This is a no brainer right? How many guys and gals have they prepped with the look you want? This is fairly easy to research because if they are good they will have testimonials and their clients will be singing their praises so finding people they have prepped should be pretty easy. Now if you want to be their guinea pig then by all means go for it, everyone needs to start somewhere, and if it’s free then by all means have at it, but usually with inexperience comes many more obstacles than necessary.

2) REPUTATION: In most industries your reputation is king. Does the coach you are considering have a good reputation? Do they have a reputation at all? It should be pretty easy to check around on message boards, Facebook and their book of current and past clients. Also consider the fact if they are used by other industry coaches, then that, in my opinion, is a pretty damn good indication of their abilities.

3) RESPONSE TIME: I’d definitely make sure you research this one. If it takes them more than a day to get back to your initial inquiry, just think how long it may take once they have your hard-earned cash. Think about when the diet gets tough and things need to be adjusted quickly you don’t want to have to wait days to get a response to a question or a decision that needs to be made. My best advice is to see how fast they respond to your inquiries before you hire them and ask past clients about their response time.

4) RESULTS: Review their clients and how they look. Are their people coming into shows shredded, in top condition and peaked properly? No brainer right? And if they can’t produce clients for you to see, that’s a red flag.

5) WALK THE WALK-TALK THE TALK: Now I realize there are great coaches out there that competed years ago and now they may be fat slobs, that’s fine. That doesn’t discount their knowledge, however, if your coach is still competing and their track record isn’t as proven, then you sure as shit should check out their competition pics. If your biggest struggle is dialing in your lower back or glutes, and the prep coach you are considering has the same problems, or many of their clients do, what makes you think they can solve that issue for you?

6) DIETING STYLES: Find out what their beliefs and strategies are about nutrition. Do they develop the diets based on the client and their unique characteristics or are they mainly a keto nutritionist or a high carb/low fat nutritionist. The best coaches will be schooled in all methods. They won’t force your physique to diet a way that is counterproductive to how your body processes macronutrients.

7) MACROS VS BUILD IT: If you are new to really tracking your foods, or following a plan, you better find out if the coach only prescribes macros or will actually build the diet for you food-by-food meal-by-meal. Otherwise you may hire a nutritionist and they shoot you something that looks like this 300P/150C/55F. If you are reading this and just went “I don’t know what in the hell to do with that” then you better make damn sure you check this about your prospective coach. I personally will work under either method. Some guys are very seasoned and merely want my eye and the macros controlled, they prefer to pick their foods on a daily basis and plug them into the guidelines I set and adjust. Many others need that strict adherence to a plan that is all written out meal-by-meal. Know which kind of person you are and ask this vital question.

8) COST: This is pretty self evident but some nutritionists cost more than others. Know your budget and don’t be afraid to ask about payment options. I know personally, given these tough economic times, I’ve been offering payment plans and I think my clients appreciate it. Like most things, you get what you pay for. I will say though early on in my career I charged a nominal fee, and I had many clients tell me it was way to low for the service and results I provided. I could go on and on about this, but Ill just say, you get what you pay for but you don’t need to get a second mortgage on your house to hire a great coach that will have you shredded.

9) SUPPLEMENT USAGE: That is a part of the “sport” and you should ask your coach whether his supplement advice is a mandatory thing or a recommendation situation. If you know you are light on the supplements, but your coach likes a lot of supplements, that could be a clash, so it’s best to discuss those things up front.

10) DEMEANOR: There are some coaches that are your biggest cheerleaders and some that believe desire has to come from within. So they will be there to adjust your diet, but they aren’t going to give you psychological evaluations at every turn to boost your morale. Better figure out what type of coach you need and make the right decision. I fall under a supportive tough love. But, I treat my clients like adults and it’s up to them to utilize my services that they hired me for – I don’t track them down, they have to do the work. I’ll be harsh when it’s needed, but I’ll praise them when it’s warranted.
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list by any means, but I think it’s a pretty solid list of the things you should consider when choosing your coach. After all, you are going to be in contact with this person for at least the next four months. If you are a coach, or an aspiring coach, and I pissed you off, sorry about your luck. If you read this and it didn’t piss you off, then you are probably well on your way to being a damn good coach in your own right, which is just fine by me. My aim was to arm the client, the consumer, with the knowledge to pick a great coach.

PAiN always coming through with the answers. Thanks for the help bro.

MrAvg
04-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Damn Pain. You da Man! So many epic posts to catch up on - thanks