PDA

View Full Version : The slower your reps, the more your muscles grow

PAiN
02-25-2013, 08:17 PM
The slower your reps, the more your muscles grow

Research done by Nicholas Burd, a sports scientist in the Stuart Phillips stable, may well radically change the way we do strength training in the coming decade. Then again, it might not work. Nevertheless, 'muscle time under tension' looks set to become a familiar concept, and one we can't ignore.

We first reported on Burd's research in the summer of 2010. The subject then was a study in which men who had trained with just 30 percent of their maximal weight – doing 20-30 reps – had built more muscle proteins than men who had trained in the traditional way.

The researchers' theory is that weight isn't the most important factor in strength training, or at least not the only important factor. Equally important is 'muscle time under tension': the amount of time that muscles are placed under tension during weight lifting. Elite trainer Charles Poliquin has been telling us that for years. [charlespoliquin.com]

The researchers will now soon publish the results of their latest study in The Journal of Physiology, in which they subjected the left and right legs of strength athletes to two different workouts. They got the men to train one leg on a leg-extension machine, using weights at 30 percent of their 1RM. The men had to perform the movements slowly, taking 6 seconds for both the concentric and the eccentric movement. The men trained at failure and did 3 sets. [SLOW]

With the other leg the men had to perform the same number of sets, with the same weight. But they performed these movements 'normally' and therefore didn't train at failure. [CTL]

Immediately after the workout the subjects drank a shake containing 20 g whey, and another one 24 hours later.

The workout with the slow reps resulted in the highest muscle protein synthesis – the researchers saw this when they examined cells they had extracted from the leg muscles of the test subjects. This was true for both the contracting myofibrillar protein [the protein in the muscle fibres] and the mitochondrial protein [the cells' power packs]. The latter suggests that strength training with slow reps may be interesting for endurance athletes too.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2a7ae5e.gif

(http://brotherhoodofpain.com)http://i46.tinypic.com/r0tcu1.gif

The figure above shows how slow-rep strength training results in enhanced muscle protein synthesis. Electrode measurements show that the slow-rep sets induced more muscle fibres to be used in the movement.

"These results suggest that the time the muscle is under tension during exercise may be important in optimizing muscle growth", the researchers write. "This understanding enables us to better prescribe exercise to those wishing to build bigger muscles and to prevent muscle loss that occurs with aging or disease."

Perhaps we shouldn't write off the super-slow method just yet…

Source:
J Physiol. 2011 Nov 21. [Epub ahead of print].

af86
02-25-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm canceling my subscription to muscle fitness. I learn way more off this site any ways lol. Bump to BOP!

beanlicker
02-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Great info!

flyingfox272
02-25-2013, 09:38 PM
I think one of the keys to growth is changing things up now and again, this is another variation I am going to try mixing in.

PAiN
03-01-2013, 04:52 AM
I'm canceling my subscription to muscle fitness. I learn way more off this site any ways lol. Bump to BOP!

HAHA Thanks bro!

rippedgolfer
03-02-2013, 02:06 AM

Of course bro. Muscle fitness is a joke. These guys know all the ins and outs.

PAiN
03-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Of course bro. Muscle fitness is a joke. These guys know all the ins and outs.

Thanks brother!

Mountain Monster
03-06-2013, 01:39 AM
great article bro! thanks!

jdb3
03-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Slight disagreement here, depends on what fibers you are wanting to target. For maximal muscle growth all fibers need stimulation. HOWEVER, Tempo dictates amount of fiber recruited. If anyone on here ever reads 1 book on bodybuilding, please, please get Poliquin Principles.

jdb3
03-06-2013, 01:55 AM
still good post, and I want to add, I have been doing slow rep speed on eccentric and explosion on conctraction. Deep tissue stimulation!!!! GOOD POST PAiN!

titanman03
03-06-2013, 01:58 AM
yeah i noticed when i do slow concetrated reps I always have to drop my weight on how much im doing, but its always fun to watch that guy in the gym with the cut off shirt on slamming the bar off his chest during bench and leaning backwards while doing curls haha

jdb3
03-06-2013, 02:54 AM
yeah i noticed when i do slow concetrated reps I always have to drop my weight on how much im doing, but its always fun to watch that guy in the gym with the cut off shirt on slamming the bar off his chest during bench and leaning backwards while doing curls haha

Tempo makes you really control the weight, tempo used with proper form is how you exercise efficiently!

I know what you mean about the guys bouncing weights around, presses, curls ect....its funny....they alawys stay the same size...hmmmmm

omni
03-07-2013, 06:54 AM
I've been doing Dc training for a few years and for the past couple years I've been playing with "Tempo." I like 6 second negatives with no lock out at the top of the lifts. At first the drop in weight was embarrassing but now a lot of people stop to watch me rep 385 on shoulder press with slow, controlled movement.

Oh...and that's without grunting and screaming like the guys swinging and throwing the 25 pound dumbbells.

bugse2342
03-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Slow movement helps improve your form which is critical to targetting the muscle.Once you have good form then you can play with speed, fast, slow, resistance. i personally change it up every other day as well as changing my routines every three months. Key is to trick the muscle not to get use to your exercise.

1tuffcookie
03-07-2013, 02:41 PM

I quit all those mags a long time ago., All they want to do is sell mags and bogus supplements. All the info in them is basically crap, they pay a pro to say what they want him or her to say in order for you to buy the mag. this site rules, the info on here is tried and true without any paid endorsements....

PAiN
03-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Great info in this thread bro's!