PDA

View Full Version : Raw Powerlifting: How To Increase Your One Rep Max

PAiN
03-06-2013, 12:59 AM
In this article I will cover my interpretation of training for unequipped PowerliftingThat is how to increase your 1RM in the Power Lifts. This article will assume you have graduated from beginner status, have a strong foundation and have a good grasp of form on all of the Powerlifts.

Firstly the weekly schedule that I would recommend:

Monday: Bench Press & Assistance
Tuesday: Squat & Assistance
Thursday: Overhead Press & Assistance
Friday: Deadlift & Assistance

Now a look at how I split up the three types of exercises and how they are to be performed.

The Power Lifts

These exercises will be the focus of each day. They are the lifts which will be contested and as such they will be performed exactly how they are to be performed in competition; for max or near max singles. Form changes as the body uses different loads, the form you may have while warming up might not be the form your body takes while using a maximum attempt, also strength is very specific therefore there is more benefit to training with singles if your body allows it. Training to increase your 5RM will surely increase your 1RM as well, however training specifically to increase your 1RM will do a better job of increasing your 1RM.

The power exercises:

Bench Press
Squat
Deadlift
Overhead Press

For the purpose of the weekly schedule I will include the Overhead Press as the main exercise on what is the second Benching Day. I believe and have seen through experience a direct correlation between improving the Press to improving the Bench.

Sets/Reps:
As mentioned above these will typically be performed for single reps. In training this would amount to multiple singles and multiple doubles or triples to back off. We will get a similar training effect to our intended display of strength i.e., the limit single in competition, however we should avoid actually taking the limit single regularly in training.

The Assistance Exercises
This is the second group of exercises. These exercises will be done heavily and for moderately high volume and will have a direct influence on improving the power exercises. These will variations of the power lifts or exercises which will help improve the strength in areas neglected by the Power Lifts themselves.

Common assistance exercises:

Bench assistance: Chins, Rows, Pull Ups, Dips, Incline Press, CGBP
Squat/Deadlift assistance: RDLs, SLDLs, GMs, Partial Pulls, Deficit Pulls, Power Cleans, Leg Press, Heavy Ab work, Heavy Back extensions

Sets/Reps:
The sets and reps for these assistance exercises are variable; however they will be done for higher reps than the Power Lifts. Common rep schemes include 5×12, 5×5. So we’re aiming to accomplish at least 3-5 sets with at least 3-5 reps per set. Anything less than that would constitute unnecessary stress for the aim.

A special note on the Leg Press: For the longer legged trainee I wholeheartedly recommend loading up the Leg Press, placing the feet high and wide and really pile on the weight. The Leg Press was a major factor in increasing my Squat. I know it has fallen out of favour for PowerLifting in recent years, but like anything I’d urge you to try it yourself and make up your own mind.

Auxiliary exercises
These are exercises which are for prehab and injury prevention. These will typically be isolation exercises and are done for high reps and high volume, using a smooth rep performance.

Common Auxiliary exercises:

Rotator Cuff work
Bicep work
Neck work
Forearm work

On any typical workout day from the template mentioned at the start there will be one Power Lift, a few assistance exercises and one or two auxiliary exercises. So let’s put this together:

Monday:

Bench Press – 5 singles, followed by 2-3 triples
Chins – 5 x 12
Incline DB. Bench – 5×8
Cable Rows – 5×8
Flyes – 5×12
Bicep Curl – 5×12

Tuesday:

Squat – 5 singles, followed by 1 back off set of higher reps
GMs – 5×5
Leg Press 5×5
Abs – 5×12
Hypers – 5×12

Thursday:

Overhead Press – 5 singles, followed by 1 back off set of higher reps
CGBP – 5×8
Rows – 5×8
Rear Laterals – 5×12
Bicep Curl – 5×12

Friday:

Deadlift – 5 singles, 1 back off set of 10
Deficit Deadlift – 3 triples
Rack Deadlift – 3 triples
Abs – 5×12
Hypers – 5×12

So there you have it; that is the basic template. Each of the exercises can be changed depending on what the trainee prefers or the equipment that is available. As long as the basic template is stuck to, it should prevent too much overlap and provide a focus and hopefully progression directly on the Power Lifts.

In future articles I will offer a few ways to cycle your poundage’s and volume to avoid burning out, as well as how to peak for competition.

titanman03
03-06-2013, 01:50 AM
the gym i belong to that ive been going to since age 13 ( im 25 now ) is known for powerlifting , theres a large group of guys there that train for strongman comps and powerlifting comps, one guy even holds a world record , i have trained with them quit a few times in the past . one way i know they train to get there max up on the benchpress is to load more than they can do on the bench , get a liftoff and have one guy spotting and one guy on each side of the bar and just give it all they got till they cant get it up then the spotters rack it, or they use a piece of wood , i believe its a 4x4 or x6 and place it on their chest and bench without going all the way down by having the bar hit the wood on there chest then go back up

Mountain Monster
03-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Very nice post! I am currently training for a pl comp and loving the wendler 5,3,1. similar in many ways to this program! thanks pain!