PDA

View Full Version : Add Mass with Squats

PAiN
03-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Above all, squatting is the greatest exercise for body building and gaining weight. Many guys hate doing squats. There are numerous reasons behind this. Let's be real, squats can be tough to do, they are not an upper body workout, women don't typically care much regarding your legs, there's a lot of wrong information regarding them hurting your back or knees, etc. Certainly you can come up with a few more reasons to refrain from doing squats.

The fact is however squats which are done correctly are good for you! There really isn't any other exercise which gives the benefits that squats do. What many guys don't understand is that squatting causes our bodies to generate testosterone. This should naturally allow you to build more muscle which in turn makes it much simpler to burn fat. Your upper body is also utilized more than people realize when squatting. Not only are you working your core muscles to support the load on the bar but you also employ your back and arms. This is partially why they can be such a difficult exercise. When you increase the weight when you squat your upper body is going to be forced to adapt to support the weight and thus grow bigger and stronger.

In a nutshell if you aren't squatting you have to start. You need to follow proper form or you can get injured. I like to recommend beginning extremely light to work on technique as well as to start strengthening your stabilizer muscles then start adding weight very slowly but consistently. Start out by doing 5 sets of 5-6 reps. (once you have done 2 warm-up sets) Don't do too much to start with. Bear in mind bodybuilding is all about consistency which means you can't injure yourself or make yourself so sore that you simply can't workout for 2 weeks and expect results.

Proper form is definitely key particularly with an exercise like squats. If you feel knee pain or back pain chances are you aren't doing them correctly. Make certain that when you squat your feet are slightly wider than shoulder width. Point your toes out just a little bit. Look straight ahead. Keep the back straight. Squat right down to where your thighs are parallel to the floor (you could go somewhat deeper than this if you desire but go to parallel at the very least). Keep your knees behind the tips of your toes then push up.

Do not allow your ego to stop you from starting out light. It really is imperative that you get the support muscles ready prior to exposing them to heavy weights. Additionally you have to be sure your form is perfect before trying to go heavy. Always use safety bars and safety clips when performing squats. Find someone to spot you when you increase the weight.

MuscleAddiction
03-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Squatting tomorrow morning @ 8 am...Powerhouse Gym...I will be in the power rack if you are looking for me!

PAiN
03-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Squatting tomorrow morning @ 8 am...Powerhouse Gym...I will be in the power rack if you are looking for me!

I'll make sure I'm finished curling in there by then. LOL

MuscleAddiction
03-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Oh no you didn't!!!

Greenegorilla2
03-16-2013, 01:54 AM
Haha pain! Ass to ankles!

ThePitCrew
03-16-2013, 05:29 AM
I'll make sure I'm finished curling in there by then. LOL

I know what you meant by this but I actually I like throwing heavy bi's in during a leg day. Your body also produces gh when you squat. So if your at a sticking point in arms hit those legs hard and throw a couple sets of arms in between.

tie80
03-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Love squats. Best lift. Thanks for the post

Greenegorilla2
03-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Squats today ladies. What's Ur pr on conventional squats?

MuscleAddiction
03-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Squats today ladies. What's Ur pr on conventional squats?

565 is best...squatted 495 for 8 reps deep and strict yesterday, legs feel so good right now. By years end I would like to hit 600...and I will do it.

Greenegorilla2
03-17-2013, 05:24 PM
565 is best...squatted 495 for 8 reps deep and strict yesterday, legs feel so good right now. By years end I would like to hit 600...and I will do it.
Nice! U will def get 6 if u keep at it!

MuscleAddiction
03-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Nice! U will def get 6 if u keep at it!

You know it bro...nothing like the feel of the bar bending over your shoulders and wanting to crush you, love that feeling!

Greenegorilla2
03-17-2013, 09:38 PM
You know it bro...nothing like the feel of the bar bending over your shoulders and wanting to crush you, love that feeling!
Keep us updated on that journey, still waiting on your boy to hit me up also.

GMAN
03-22-2013, 09:06 PM
550 in a meet will be at 600 in 5 months. Under 220 Masters.

Emman
03-22-2013, 10:19 PM
damn u guys make me look bad i need to start squating

mr.smith
03-24-2013, 01:01 AM
Good info . Recently started taking squats as serious as benching . Damn chicken legs

darklord
03-24-2013, 02:24 AM
I gotta get theses chicken legs growing

gator-mclusky
03-24-2013, 04:59 AM
Great read. Squats will make the whole body grow. When I was about 17 I asked a big fella.........175 lbs....lol I say big ol fella because at 17 I was only about 150 lbs! He looked great an I wanted to be his size. I asked him how he was doing it. He went on to tell me how some big mofos stressed the SQUAT!!!!!! And that was what he never missed and he swore it was the Squats.....an it was!

Greenegorilla2
03-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Add mass with squats and DL's.

metromuscle
03-26-2013, 07:48 PM
SQUAT, SQUAT, AND SQUAT SOME MORE.....
I gotta get theses chicken legs growing

Boltbreaker
04-23-2013, 02:51 AM
Just got my knee back strong enoguh to start DL and Squats again and man what a difference it makes.. I feel so much stronger as a total body! I was surprised since it has been 5 yrs since I hit the Squats and I never did DL's. I went Sunday and threw down 275 *12, 315* 8, 315 *6, 335*4. I then DL 275*12, 315*8, 335*6 then 390*1. Was pretty proud of myself as My ACL was holding up great after working back my legs slowly doing ext, curls and calves and progressing to light machine presses. No way to grow big without the essentials like Squats and DL's especially for me who needs more mass lol.

Zaphod
04-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Learned to love squatting. Strangely, I've found that going all the way down is actually easier on my knees than going to just parallel. Anyone else like that?

Bad Juju
04-23-2013, 07:50 PM
i never understood how guys dont like doing squats and then complain about how they dont grow. i always explain you cant have a big tree without a big trunk under it but they still dont get it. i obviously know nothing at 250lbs and squatting 550 for a 1rm lol. Good read on throwing bis in between leg sets. never would have thought of that. will give it atry next leg day

And @ Zaphod. I find that as well. doing the 90 degree squats hurts my knees. but rock bottom doesnt. i dont know why that is either

Zaphod
04-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Having thought about it earlier today I think it's because going all the way down you have other things cushioning the bottom of the movement. Hamstrings, calves, etc. when you hit the bottom. Stopping short all you have are your knees and quads that take the bulk of the stress.

That sound reasonable?

Bad Juju
04-23-2013, 11:45 PM
it sort of makes sense. IMO it is worse to do 90 degree squats as its not really the bodys natural movement pattern to stop at that angle with so much weight. by allowing it to go through the full range it puts less pressure on the knees which is better. ive done oly lifting for years and those guys are crazy strong in the legs. when you watch them do it they always go rock bottom. never half