PDA

View Full Version : Low testosterone increases diabetes risk in men

jdb3
03-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Low testosterone increases diabetes risk in men
Updated: 2012-05-04 16:00:46 CST Category: Diabetes (http://www.privatemdlabs.com/catnews.php?catid=438026441) http://www.privatemdlabs.com/newsimages/low+testosterone+increases+diabetes+risk+in+men_22 48_800768885_0_0_7074844_300.jpgBlood tests indicating low testosterone levels may put men at a higher risk of developing diabetes, according to a new study conducted by researchers from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland.

For the study, the researchers blocked the function of testosterone in fat cells in one group of mice. The results showed these mice were significantly more likely to become obese and to develop insulin resistance than one that retained normal testosterone function.

The researchers said that testosterone is known to play an important role in the function of fat cells. However, it was not known that the hormone can be such a strong factor in influencing the development of metabolic disorders.

Findings from the study are significant because every man experiences a reduction in testosterone levels as they age. This hormonal change is less prominent in some men, but the fact that low testosterone levels may be a risk factor for diabetes suggests that large numbers of individuals may be in danger of experiencing metabolic problems.

Additionally, the team said their findings may help to explain why diabetes becomes more common in men as they age. http://feeds.directnews.co.uk/feedtrack/justcopyright.gif?feedid=2248&itemid=800768885

blackcatfever
03-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Low testosterone contributes to a slew of problems. I remember reading a study where it stated that people with high testosterone lived longer than those that had low testosterone...Low test contributes to so many problems....Thanks for the post

Greenegorilla2
03-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Low testosterone contributes to a slew of problems. I remember reading a study where it stated that people with high testosterone lived longer than those that had low testosterone...Low test contributes to so many problems....Thanks for the post
Right but there is never a biological free lunch. If you catch my drift. Too much test causes problems as well. I do believe in supplementing exogenous test when you get older.

slash75cmd
03-30-2013, 05:39 PM

Agreed, but there has to be responsibility with use like HCG for normal function, AI supplementation, and exercise (which a majority here at BOP do already). Exogenous testosterone is kryptonite for pharmaceutical companies who specialize in diabetic and heart medications. Those companies would lose money if doctors pushed hormonal remedies for low t conditions instead of their medicines that are geared toward temporary control of the ailment.

halfwit
04-01-2013, 03:14 AM
Agreed, but there has to be responsibility with use like HCG for normal function, AI supplementation, and exercise (which a majority here at BOP do already). Exogenous testosterone is kryptonite for pharmaceutical companies who specialize in diabetic and heart medications. Those companies would lose money if doctors pushed hormonal remedies for low t conditions instead of their medicines that are geared toward temporary control of the ailment.

I've been on TRT for 3 years and have seen a reduction in my diabetes meds, hypertension meds and have completely removed all anxiety/statins from my regimen. It's silly how many symptoms of low testosterone can be "treated" in order to keep big pharmas pockets full. It's hard for them to make money off of a natural hormone, which is why docs are now pushing for proprietary methods of replacement like the pellet or gel/cream.

Intentionally allowing men to live with low T in order to sell meds that have greater sides than testosterone ever will (PSA is being found to be related to Estradiol, not testosterone) just seems to go against the Hippocratic oath doctors take in my humble opinion. Great post! :)

jdb3
04-01-2013, 03:28 AM
I've been on TRT for 3 years and have seen a reduction in my diabetes meds, hypertension meds and have completely removed all anxiety/statins from my regimen. It's silly how many symptoms of low testosterone can be "treated" in order to keep big pharmas pockets full. It's hard for them to make money off of a natural hormone, which is why docs are now pushing for proprietary methods of replacement like the pellet or gel/cream.

Intentionally allowing men to live with low T in order to sell meds that have greater sides than testosterone ever will (PSA is being found to be related to Estradiol, not testosterone) just seems to go against the Hippocratic oath doctors take in my humble opinion. Great post! :)

there you go

Sleeper
04-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Big Pharm is never going to let a cure for diabetes appear without a fight. Or any cure for that matter!!

Sleeper
04-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Sorry guys. That sounded a little cynical. Just 20+ years dealing with Big Pharm has got me a little jaded.

zombieslayer
04-02-2013, 12:55 AM
GREAT POST!

zombieslayer
04-02-2013, 01:01 AM
Big Pharm is never going to let a cure for diabetes appear without a fight. Or any cure for that matter!!
SO TRUE! THAt's why we have all of these screwed up laws pertaining to AAS! NEVERMIND ALCOHOL, REC DRUGS AND TOBACCO KILL 10's or maybe 100's of thousands EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!! and how many more broken lives????!!!!!!!

zombieslayer
04-02-2013, 01:07 AM
if you can buy alcohol and tobacco legally at age 21, then why not AAS?
because we are worth more to the government and big pharm sick than well!!
Alcohol and tobacco make you sick, SO YOU CAN BUY THEM LEGALLY
AAS MAKE YOU BETTER IF USED PROPERLY, SO THEY ARE UNDER CONTROL BY THE POWERS THAT BE

sorry,stepping off soapbox now

halfwit
04-02-2013, 05:03 AM
if you can buy alcohol and tobacco legally at age 21, then why not AAS?
because we are worth more to the government and big pharm sick than well!!
Alcohol and tobacco make you sick, SO YOU CAN BUY THEM LEGALLY
AAS MAKE YOU BETTER IF USED PROPERLY, SO THEY ARE UNDER CONTROL BY THE POWERS THAT BE

sorry,stepping off soapbox now
Man, talk about preaching to the choir. I think it's safe to say none of us have any love for big pharma or big government messing with what we put in our bodies. ESPECIALLY when it's beneficial for us!

PAiN
04-03-2013, 01:00 AM

Agreed brother!