PDA

View Full Version : How do get started in amateur power lifting, like 18-21 yrs old??

Fullback40
03-29-2013, 02:24 AM
I was wondering how do i get started into powerlifitng competition...im in college, 19, i powerlifted throughout highschool, set a few records.....is there like an amateur circuit, pro circuit, raw circuit? or just one main one? like the IPA....also does age matter for anything, like what class your in?.........thanks

Greenegorilla2
03-29-2013, 02:39 AM
Age does matter, find a local federation, don't miss Ur lifts and eat like a pig. Period.

Fullback40
03-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Age does matter, find a local federation, don't miss Ur lifts and eat like a pig. Period.
So just do some research on the internet for my local one? and yeah im gonna try to, i play football so powerlifting training can really help...but to an extent...so im not looking to get into anything huge and competitive yet till im done with college.....And thanks man appreciate it

gusgus
03-29-2013, 11:19 AM
powerliftingwatch.com find a meet in your area. age 20-23 is the Junior class. i just did my first one a couple weeks back and loved it

jdb3
03-29-2013, 12:32 PM
easy....just enter into a meet...there you go, now your a powerlifter

metromuscle
03-29-2013, 12:46 PM
There are many, many powerlifting federations out there these days. Do some research as much as you can on them, naturally look into one that holds meets close to you. One thing to watch out for is that some federations can be very pricey as far as fees for entering their meets, getting their federation cards, etc. As gus said powerlifting watch can be very helpful.

darksidefitness
03-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Like other said...go to powerliftingwatch and find a federation. Lift, learn the difference between them but most important...enjoy your time there!!! As a beginner you don't need the extra pressure like weight cutting, rivalry between lifters, travel miles away for a meet. Just joint one close to you, learn, train and prepare for the next one.

Greenegorilla2
03-29-2013, 03:53 PM
If u want to be serious, find a federation asap. Get into and be dedicated. Let us know how it goes.

Fullback40
03-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Alright thanks, i appreciate the info..and yeah im gonna use powerliftingwatch.com and try to join a federation asap

cb1
04-19-2013, 04:06 AM
www.southernpowerlifting.com (http://www.southernpowerlifting.com). I think they have some meets in ohio. Jesse is a good dude. Let us know how its going.

Fullback40
04-20-2013, 08:52 AM
www.southernpowerlifting.com (http://www.southernpowerlifting.com). I think they have some meets in ohio. Jesse is a good dude. Let us know how its going.
Awesome thank you for the link! and we started spring football so i haven`t had much time but i have been power lifting training like hell and hopefully this summer can get into the swing of things

cb1
04-20-2013, 01:17 PM
They are having a meet in Cincinati Ohio towards the end of May at the Sweat Shop which is Laura Phelps's place. That should be an awesome meet. If you don't know who she is look it up on youtube.