PDA

View Full Version : Hernia surgery

spraynpray
04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Well I guess its time to get these things buttoned up. Ive got a couple hernias set to be repaired and have mesh put in. The surgeon says I'm looking at a 6 week non-training recovery period which I'm not at all happy about. I don't think I've had 6 weeks off from training in my 20 years of lifting. Is there any advice from brothers who've been through this surgery/recovery before, or know someone who has?

rmkicks
04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
I had a hernia repaired with mesh about 20 years ago. All I can remember about it is that I couldn't pick up anything heavier than a can of soda for the first week. I made sure not to rush into lifting again for a few months. Hope all goes well for you...

spraynpray
04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I had a hernia repaired with mesh about 20 years ago. All I can remember about it is that I couldn't pick up anything heavier than a can of soda for the first week. I made sure not to rush into lifting again for a few months. Hope all goes well for you...

Thx brotha I appreciate it

sensitivenips
04-10-2013, 02:28 AM
hope you have a fast recovery. from what i hear 6 weeks is on the safe side, and some have returned after 3 weeks, but i would just relax about it, listen to your body, then slowly go back into the gym without intentions of throwing around heavy weight just to keep your muscles working, and sort of rehab you way back into it. definitely dont want to re-tear a tear.

spraynpray
04-10-2013, 09:36 AM
I was thinking I'd use the time to clean up a bit while I ease back into training. Thx for the kind words brotha

jdb3
04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Yes indeed. Take the 6 weeks off, and when you do start back, ease into it. I had a friend who had a hernia surg and his recoop time was 6 weeks as well. He got alittle discouraged because he lost so much, but I have seen amazing comebacks after major surgery.

You can take the time off , enjoy life, eat painpills, and learn about different topics in bodybuilding. Hope it goes well brother.

spraynpray
04-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks my man

Sleeper
04-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Def take it easy coming back. Hernia surgery is pretty straight forward the first time. But once they put that mesh in if you don't take it easy and that hernia comes back the repeat surgery is a real bitch! The mesh gets integrated into the tissue and to remove it and put more in is difficult to put it mildly. Give it time to heal though and it will be stronger than ever.

spraynpray
04-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Def take it easy coming back. Hernia surgery is pretty straight forward the first time. But once they put that mesh in if you don't take it easy and that hernia comes back the repeat surgery is a real bitch! The mesh gets integrated into the tissue and to remove it and put more in is difficult to put it mildly. Give it time to heal though and it will be stronger than ever.

That's what I hear. I'm definitely not looking to go through this again. The 48 hr fast was enough for me to tear someone's face off and eat it!